British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   New Dilemma (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/new-dilemma-502213/)

wimpy Dec 29th 2007 12:26 pm

New Dilemma

Hello all, seeing as we value your input so much we want to pick your brains again. We as a family are moving over to Wellington in July/August 08, neither myself or my wife have the skills required for WTR so we know that our path is dictated by repeat work visa applications every now and then with all the checks and medicals that go with it.

Now the plan was that I was going to come out around 3 weeks before the rest of the family so that I could try to secure the elusive job and work visa then they could join me. The biggest worry for me though is that my wife is really scared of flying and I really dont want to leave her to cope with such a long journey with the children as company.

So my question is, "what would you do"

Moomoo Dec 29th 2007 12:43 pm

Re: New Dilemma

If its any help we are in the Isle of Wight and are looking to emigrate in July/August 2008. As a long shot perhaps your wife and kids could travel with us..........depends on flexibility I suppose.

Mr Moomoo

wimpy Dec 29th 2007 1:46 pm

What a lovely gesture, not what I was expecting though :lol: I have told my daughter that nearly all the really nice friendly people live in NZ. Looks like the ones remaining here are soon to join them :)

So where in NZ are you planning to go?

Moomoo Dec 29th 2007 2:36 pm

Auckland- well actually working in Manukau City and living in Howick/Clevedon/Franklin...... or potentially somewhere in that sort of area.

Mr Moomoo

choccydog Dec 29th 2007 2:57 pm

How old and how many are your kids?

wimpy Dec 29th 2007 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by choccydog (Post 5716077)
How old and how many are your kids?

I will be 43, my wife 41 and 2 children aged 13 and 11

choccydog Dec 29th 2007 3:14 pm

In that case your wife can cope fine on the plane, not as if they are 6 months, 2 and 4 (with autism) like the last time we travelled there! LOL

Go there 3 weeks early and enjoy the space.

IMHO you're the selfless one.

Scared of flying? Get over it, plenty of wine with dinner etc.

happynz Dec 29th 2007 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by wimpy (Post 5715695)
Hello all, seeing as we value your input so much we want to pick your brains again. We as a family are moving over to Wellington in July/August 08, neither myself or my wife have the skills required for WTR so we know that our path is dictated by repeat work visa applications every now and then with all the checks and medicals that go with it.

My, you really do want to come here. :)

Now the plan was that I was going to come out around 3 weeks before the rest of the family so that I could try to secure the elusive job and work visa then they could join me.

To be honest, if it was me I'd allow more time to sort out finding work, processing the work permit and finding a place to live. Sure, all of those things may come together very quickly, but there is a very good chance of a snag or two along the way. Try to build flexibility into your plan.

The biggest worry for me though is that my wife is really scared of flying and I really don't want to leave her to cope with such a long journey with the children as company.

So my question is, "what would you do"

The time in the air is the least of her worries. It's a long flight, true enough, but I will guarantee that it is likely to be uneventful. The stress is usually found in checking in and arriving.
Look, the flights are a good time to nap, read trashy novels, watch several films, basically sit and sit and then eat and then stand in the queue by the toilets.

Here comes the sun Dec 29th 2007 6:44 pm

Hi Wimpy,
We have flights booked for Aug 18th to Welly, seems a popular time to go! For the sake of 3 weeks wouldnt it be easier to travel together? 3 weeks is not a lot of time to sort visa's if you are all there together you can get a feel for the area and jobs etc. and start the adventure together. While you are job hunting your wife could be sorting out rentals to view, schools and bank accounts.

Travelling with 2 kids on her own would be difficult even if they are older, especially when everyone is tired and irritable.

What kind of work are you looking for?

wimpy Dec 29th 2007 6:55 pm

I am a bus/coach driver so something along those lines hopefully

garryhg Dec 29th 2007 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by wimpy (Post 5716108)
I will be 43, my wife 41 and 2 children aged 13 and 11

hi jacky g here....as i think i said before we are in howick,so you will be joining our neck of the woods next year....i have a 13 year old to,so can introiduce yours to some people when they arrive,who knows they might even be at the same school,depending on the zones...definitely check these out before you commit to where you are staying...

any advice please ask.....as for your wife flying...believe me if i can do it anyone can,i fly with prince valium just to go to majorca....the planes are much better,the staff are great and arriving at different airports,there is always lots of staff to help you,and give you advice....most of the airports you tend to just skip through by connections,rather than going through the whole process each time....me and oh are both 41 and have met good circle of friends in this area,and have regular meet ups in each others at weekends,so glad to have you round and introduce you to everyone....gl with all your plans....jacky and garry