British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   New Comer (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/new-comer-398521/)

Dave&Elaine Sep 25th 2006 2:19 pm

New Comer

Hello Everybody

My Name is Dave , currently living in Eastbourne , UK. Myself and Wife with labrador (Mad Max ) are seriously considering a temporary move to New Zealand following ,some great news last week that i have been Offered employment in the Auckland area. For a Employer Sponsored 4 year contract .

At this point we are seriously considering the Offer but we have not visited New Zealand before.

It all looks great through the documents and referrence material we have vigourously scanned over the recent few days , but is New Zealand as good as the tourist guides say.

The Employer i'm joining had opportunities in both Austrailia and New Zealand , we where confident about Austrailia having visited and having familiy living in Melbourne.

Is the Grass Greener in New Zealand ????????? any advice would be helpfull.

The job i will be starting is in Manukau City part of Auckland , does anyone know what the suburbs are like around this area , is rental property readily available that accepts dogs , is it easy to buy a good quality second hand car.

Any Help from Forum Members at this time would be most appreciated.

Dave

danny.f Sep 25th 2006 7:18 pm

Re: New Comer

Originally Posted by Dave&Elaine
Hello Everybody

My Name is Dave , currently living in Eastbourne , UK. Myself and Wife with labrador (Mad Max ) are seriously considering a temporary move to New Zealand following ,some great news last week that i have been Offered employment in the Auckland area. For a Employer Sponsored 4 year contract .

At this point we are seriously considering the Offer but we have not visited New Zealand before.

It all looks great through the documents and referrence material we have vigourously scanned over the recent few days , but is New Zealand as good as the tourist guides say.

The Employer i'm joining had opportunities in both Austrailia and New Zealand , we where confident about Austrailia having visited and having familiy living in Melbourne.

The job i will be starting is in Manukau City part of Auckland , does anyone know what the suburbs are like around this area , is rental property readily available that accepts dogs , is it easy to buy a good quality second hand car.

Dave

Hi Dave,
what a great opportunity.

Having never visited Aus I can't compare but having visited NZ last year we decided it was the place for us. We only passed through Mankau City but I recall it was near enough to the city.

Do you have time / resources to go out for a visit before you have to make your mind up? Also are you tied to the 4 year contract? If it isn't for you is there any capacity to relocate to Australia?

I suppose a positive for Aus would be if you do have family there. Reading some posts some of those already out there do seem to feel somewhat isolated on occasion as it seems that although friendly most of the Kiwis seem to keep to themselves (don't shout at me if I'm wrong - I'm only repeating what I've read). :D

Good luck with whatever you decide - when do they want you to go?
Donna

SarahB Sep 25th 2006 7:55 pm

Hiya... welcome to the NZ board.

I moved here to Auckland June 05 with my OH and 2 year old son. We rented for a year and then I sold my house back in UK a couple of months ago to use the money on a deposit on a house here in Beachlands. We have just sold our other UK house too this month.... this is a permanent move for us now. Its just so much nicer living here than the UK in our opinion.

We live not far from Manukau. There are some nice areas around here and some not so nice areas.... best talk to people before hand and have a look around when you get here too to choose where you want to live. Talk to ex-pats and not kiwis as youre more likely to get the truth then.

We live in Beachlands which is lovely.... real nice community spirit and friendly people. Its about 25 minutes drive to Manukau here and 20 minutes to Botany shopping centre.

I can only give you my opinion on the place.... I'm sure other people will give you theirs. The worst thing about moving is missing your family.... dont underestimate how much its gonna hurt to say goodbye in those last few days...its awful. We have got through it though and love it here.

Ask more questions if you want to know anything in particular and I will try to answer best I can.

Good luck with your decision making

SarahB

poppets Sep 25th 2006 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by Dave&Elaine
Hello Everybody

Dave

lucky you
2nd hand cars - loads of them , & good quality
we've been to melbourne & sydney & find NZ more relaxed & less americanised (sp) if you follow me, admitedly we've been in NZ longer than OZ (hols only) but NZ suits us better. We'd never been to NZ before we emigrated & we love it.
you have a wonderful opportunity, & if i was in your shoes i'd go for it,
good luck :beer: