British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   New Career (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/new-career-658278/)

AngelaandJim Mar 7th 2010 7:25 pm

New Career

When we finally get to New Zealand I fancy a whole new career but don't know what i want to do. At present I run the financial side of our company and i'm bored of it there is no challenge in it anymore. I am a fully qualified Chef but don't fancy going back to that either.

Anyone got any ideas ?

RobDon Mar 7th 2010 8:18 pm

Re: New Career

Originally Posted by AngelaandJim (Post 8401964)
When we finally get to New Zealand I fancy a whole new career but don't know what i want to do. At present I run the financial side of our company and i'm bored of it there is no challenge in it anymore. I am a fully qualified Chef but don't fancy going back to that either.

Anyone got any ideas ?

Did you "cook the books?!" :p

AngelaandJim Mar 7th 2010 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by RobDon (Post 8402057)
Did you "cook the books?!" :p

PMSL like that one :thumbsup:

Dewb09 Mar 7th 2010 10:14 pm

If you could do just one job for the day what would it be?

Dewb

AngelaandJim Mar 7th 2010 10:17 pm

Make someone smile :D

Dewb09 Mar 7th 2010 10:21 pm

Awww your so nice :wub:
That made me smile :D
Dewb

Craftsman Mar 7th 2010 10:28 pm

Anyone got any ideas ?

Me I would do what I was trained to do so I could get my feet under the table and start earning, then I would be able to look around and decide which career path I fancied, you will need time to look around at the different options on offer and of course more importantly locations, too many people come to NZ and settle in the first place they land in. use your skills to your advantage first!

cheers

Am Loolah Mar 7th 2010 10:28 pm

I know a couple of people here who have given up their previous careers and gone in to Real Estate sales. They prefer the flexibility it offers, but of course earnings can be pretty sporadic.

AngelaandJim Mar 7th 2010 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by Am Loolah (Post 8402365)
I know a couple of people here who have given up their previous careers and gone in to Real Estate sales. They prefer the flexibility it offers, but of course earnings can be pretty sporadic.

Hey Am Loolah

I have flexibility at moment I only really need to work one day a week but I don't most of the time I work 3-5 more out of boredom. The last few years have taught me that money is just not important to me anymore being happy within myself is. I think if I could do a job that makes me feel good within myself then I'd probably bounce from one end of NZ to the other :rofl:

Think I'm too honest to be an Estate Agent lol

BEVS Mar 7th 2010 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by AngelaandJim (Post 8402339)
Make someone smile :D

Aw mate ! Have some smiley karma. :)

It's a tough one innit. Thinking what new direction to take.

What about volunteering with the SPCA or similar. Or summat to do with cats ?

Genesis Mar 8th 2010 12:04 am

Anyone got any ideas ?

Plod?

Prison service? Fooferfish loves his new career in corrections.

Fire service?

Or go to college to totally retrain in something like radiography?

Or google 'cmc markets nz' seeing as you have fiscal saavy..unlike me. Want to sell some?

Matewx Mar 8th 2010 4:36 am

Originally Posted by AngelaandJim (Post 8402401)
Think I'm too honest to be an Estate Agent lol

:rofl: :eek: :thumbsup: :rofl: :eek: :thumbsup:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Am Loolah Mar 8th 2010 7:47 am

How about becoming a Celebrant? You can marry people, do baby naming ceremonies, funerals etc, etc? Minus the funerals, you may find you'd be putting a smile on people's faces?:thumbsup:

AngelaandJim Mar 8th 2010 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Craftsman (Post 8402363)
Me I would do what I was trained to do so I could get my feet under the table and start earning, then I would be able to look around and decide which career path I fancied, you will need time to look around at the different options on offer and of course more importantly locations, too many people come to NZ and settle in the first place they land in. use your skills to your advantage first!

cheers

I do agree to some extent but my heart not in it anymore don't think it would be fair to the employer but it may not be so bad if I did it part time & retrained to do something else at same time

AngelaandJim Mar 8th 2010 9:47 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 8402491)
Aw mate ! Have some smiley karma. :)

It's a tough one innit. Thinking what new direction to take.

What about volunteering with the SPCA or similar. Or summat to do with cats ?

Thanks Bevs I have thought about volunteering there is a service on the west coast where you give up 10 mins of your day to phone someone vunverable to have a chat & make sure they are ok & basically brighten there day. The cats would be good too I love my babies :wub: