New Build Properties

Old Jan 11th 2008, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

fitzandindiana is on a distinguished road
Default New Build Properties

Does anyone know of a link for new build properties in nz
Old Jan 12th 2008, 4:51 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: New Build Properties

What do you mean? Do you mean about building your own home, houses for sale, our builders? Can you give some more details about what you are looking for?
Old Jan 12th 2008, 6:15 am
Forum Regular

I mean new properties being built by builders although i would be interested in buying land if it was cheap enough and maybe having a house either built on it or a kit house invested in. I'm not sure how cheap these options would be as we have only just started looking into moving to nz. We will have about 300,000 nzd to take with us and then will probably be looking into getting a small mortgage once we are over there. Are we pipe dreaming looking into these options on this budget. We'll probably be looking into the south island maybe on the outskirts of Christchurch or around that general area.
Old Jan 12th 2008, 6:34 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by fitzandindiana
I mean new properties being built by builders
Houses here are built by gnomes and furnished by faeries.

Of course they are built by builders. Whaddya thinkin'?

Originally Posted by fitzandindiana
...although i would be interested in buying land if it was cheap enough and maybe having a house either built on it or a kit house invested in. I'm not sure how cheap these options would be as we have only just started looking into moving to nz. We will have about 300,000 nzd to take with us and then will probably be looking into getting a small mortgage once we are over there. Are we pipe dreaming looking into these options on this budget. We'll probably be looking into the south island maybe on the outskirts of Christchurch or around that general area.
There is no lack of builders doing residential house construction here in the Christchurch area.

What is your immigration status? Have you got that sorted yet, or are you still in the 'wouldn't it be nice' stage?

Of course, you don't have to be a resident or citizen here to buy property.
Old Jan 12th 2008, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

lol @gnomes and fairies wish they did build for us, might be slightly cheaper

We are still in the wouldn't it be nice stages. We are going to an exhibition in Leeds in April and after we have been there will be putting in our expression of interest form. My hubby is an anaesthetic technician which means he's on the long term shortage list which hopefully will be good news for us to move to NZ.
Old Jan 12th 2008, 8:13 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

This link should help you get started.

http://www.masterbuilder.org.nz/linkul.asp?ID=3
Old Jan 12th 2008, 8:19 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Some more links

GJ Gardners

Golden Homes

Jennian

A1 Kitsets
Old Jan 12th 2008, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

Now for a real answer to your question.

On a budget of $300,000 plus a mortgage you can acquire a section and build a house.

We live in Canterbury and are currently 55 days away from moving into our new home.

You can have a home built from about $300,000 plust the cost of land. Of course the cost of the house will be influenced by its size and the nature of the items you choose to fit it out with. Including the cost of landscaping and the land, our house comes in at $2000 per square meter of house or $1273 per square meter before the land and landscaping. You may choose to do it cheaper, I know that Golden Homes bases its cost at between $800 and $900 per square meter. You can see then that by adding extras the cost goes up.

Land is another story. Of course cost is influenced by size and location. Out in Oxford, Canterbury you can by 10 acre blocks for under $200,000. In Rangiora, you can buy sections in the NW part of town starting at about $160,000. In Christchurch you can buy a section, if you can find one in Northwood Estate for $300,000. In other parts of the city, you will not find any sections less than $200,000. Sections are larger in the Rolleston area, but you have to live there - no offense to you living there, but it is not my sort of place. Ten acre blocks outside of Rangiora are marekted at about $250,000.

When buiding on an acerage out of town you must consider the extra cost of sceptic tanks and other services.

When building you might consider that there is a cost to the rental house that you will be in while building and then any interest costs incurred during the project. However, if you would have an enormous mortgage the cost or renting could be less than the interest you would pay once you moved in.

There are plenty of houses being built around. Usually, they are built by individuals through a company who have purchased a land and house package. Under these arrangements a $5000 deposit may have been paid with no payments needed until completion. Individuals often buy these packages with no inention of moving in, but of selling them as they near completion to those looking for a new house.

In Rangiora, here near Christchurch, you will see houses like this in the Oxford Estates development which will cost from the low $400's. However, you will be in a better development if you consider the Oaks or Arlington developments.

New sections are being released in the southwest of Christchurch at over $200,000 and there are plenty of recenlty constructed homes for sale in that area, but your budget should consider prices over $500,000.

So, if buying a new home or newer home. Consider spending from $450,000 plus depending on size, finish and location.

Please feel free to PM me if you want to discuss this further. I can only provide our own insights into building and situations in the part of the South Island we live in.
Old Jan 12th 2008, 5:10 pm
Account Closed

Yotty is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the 10 acre plots have to have electricity to the boundary and usually have a bore hole to provide water!
Old Jan 12th 2008, 7:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Your point about an acerage really depends on the property. Please keep in mind that if there are services, they are only to the boundary. You will have to pay to have the electricity taken to where the house is being located. As to water, again, even if there is a well, it is not plumbed by parking the house over the well, and there are the sceptic issues. It is really another ball of wax to build on an acerage against building in town, such as Rangiora. The price of the land is say $80000 different, the other costs can be up to $40000 and then there are fencing or other landscaping costs such as driveways that may need to be done. It was too expensive for us and we like the kids to walk to school and play with friends afterwards.
Old Jan 12th 2008, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

I think this is something we will seriously look into once we have gained residency and have moved to nz.
Thanks you so much for all your replies, they were a great help.
Old Jan 12th 2008, 8:09 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

we're nearing the end of our build in Hawkes Bay.

Personally I'd consider a 300K + budget for the house alone quite lavish. Ours is under 200K and the section (just shy of four acres) was a little over 100K. Not in a crap area- 10 mins from gorgeous beach, bush on two sides. All in (literally EVERYTHING) build is costing us approx $350K and could have been done for under $300K but we decided to up the mortgage for some much wanted extras.

HTH
Old Jan 12th 2008, 8:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Good for you Biscout. I was pressed as to what to say about price as size of house, single level, multi level, number of bathrooms and toilets, choice of tile, appliances, carpets, heating, solar options, alarms, smart wiring and the list goes on. It is possible to build at a variety of prices. One's budget and desires drive the whole thing.

I was speaking from our experience in building our place. Exciting getting down to the end of the project and being able to start packing boxes again isn't it?

Last edited by CAN2NZ; Jan 12th 2008 at 8:44 pm. Reason: Another thought
Old Jan 12th 2008, 8:46 pm
Account Closed

Yotty is an unknown quantity at this point

I suppose the cost relates to the goegraphy. Different areas have different values...
Old Jan 12th 2008, 9:44 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CAN2NZ
Good for you Biscout. I was pressed as to what to say about price as size of house, single level, multi level, number of bathrooms and toilets, choice of tile, appliances, carpets, heating, solar options, alarms, smart wiring and the list goes on. It is possible to build at a variety of prices. One's budget and desires drive the whole thing.

I was speaking from our experience in building our place. Exciting getting down to the end of the project and being able to start packing boxes again isn't it?
I think a great deal of consideration should now be done on the framing system being used. My recommendation would be for ICF and get away from timber framed. That way no matter what your budget you will get a good solid house with instant thermal and acoustic insulation.

In my experience after the obvious consideration of size and level/layout the biggest cost consideration is std of internal fittings and features. Oh so easy to go silly on the latest bathroom and kitchen attachments/tiles etc.

Go all out on the structure first - install cheap as chips interior and upgrade as your wallet allows.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.