Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

New Build Developers

New Build Developers

Old Mar 29th 2016, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

tinalouie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New Build Developers

Can any one recommend any new build developers other than Barratt homes please?
Old Mar 29th 2016, 8:21 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Build Developers

no point really as some may be gone in three years time
Old Mar 29th 2016, 8:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the larger 'well known' house builders here operate on a franchise basis and therefore difficult for anyone to recommend one company over another because whilst it may appear on the face of it to be the same company operating nationally - each branch is in fact an independent business and will likely have different approach and reputation in that locality depending on who is in charge.

Just google 'house builders nz' and all the main players will be at the top of the list. Signature, Jennian, A1, GJ Gardner, Signature, Golden Homes all advertise on TV and will have show homes that you can view. I have never heard of Barrats in NZ though
Old Mar 29th 2016, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for your replies, I only want to look at them at this stage and see how different they are to the older properties on the market, are they generally good value or heavily overpriced for what they are as here in the UK?
Old Mar 29th 2016, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

Probably much the same as the UK. House prices are quite high in the major population centres.

If you read some of the other housing threads you will see that the older housing stock can often lack insulation, double glazing and central heating so there can be major benefits (especially with UK expectations) in going for a new or at least recent build.
Old Mar 29th 2016, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

Does it get cold enough for central heating ? do houses have air conditioning over there also?
Old Mar 29th 2016, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

KOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tinalouie
Does it get cold enough for central heating
It certainly does but that doesn't mean they have it - you might want to read some past posts on NZ housing.
Old Mar 29th 2016, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

Ok will do .. thank you
Old Mar 29th 2016, 7:33 pm
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute

Does it get cold enough for central heating ? do houses have air conditioning over there also?

It gets quite nippy and I couldn't do without the heat pump, which also acts as aircon for the summer, which this year has been particularly warm and humid. Not all homes have heat pumps either and they are no where near as good as central heating.

Very few houses have central heating, or double glazing for that matter. I work out in the community and in winter patients are in bed with jackets on and wrapped up in blankets but no heat in the building.

Like others have said, lots of posts on this sort of stuff and housing. Housing is very expensive and in Auckland the current average price is just under $1m!
Old Mar 29th 2016, 7:47 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Most people would have heatpumps that do hot and cold. More cost effective than radiators.

Last edited by jmh; Mar 29th 2016 at 7:49 pm.
Old Mar 29th 2016, 7:49 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

When I did my rounds of the showhomes my favourite was Landmark homes but they are also the most expensive.

I also thought Generation Homes and Signature were good - it's usual to have double glazing on a new home these days.
Old Mar 29th 2016, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Parnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh
When I did my rounds of the showhomes my favourite was Landmark homes but they are also the most expensive.

I also thought Generation Homes and Signature were good - it's usual to have double glazing on a new home these days.
Our response from landmark

Thank you for your enquiry into building your new home with Landmark Homes. Your brief was very detailed and sounds like it would be a lovely home to take in the views of a great Karaka landscape. I was courious to know if your budget included the cost of the land as well as the home?

I would like to help you build but unfortunately the home which you describe is outside our normal scope. Whilst we do build architecturally designed homes to a very high specification these will have a more conventional construction versus what you have in mind.

I suggest you take the approach of firstly to engage a registered architect to design your home and then tender to private builders rather than aproach a franchised home building company. If you would like me to recommend an architect I would be happy to send you some information?
Old Mar 29th 2016, 11:52 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

New Build Developers like GJGardener, Signature, Milestone, Jennian etc are franchises. They are not the builders. In a way they are project managers balancing their profit margin with keeping the customer happy and ensurung tradesmen are not falling over each other onsite.

They will draw from the same pool of builders and tradesman to build the houses depending on who is pals with who and what deal is best at the time the contracts are renewed. So, you will not necessarily get a 'better' build with one franchise over another. What you do need to look at is the range of 'extras' and available finishes. GJ for instance are run of the mill. Milestone a little more basic. The franchise managers can move between franchises so putting an ear to the ground for who is deemed the most efficient and reliable at the time of looking to build is a good move.

All will fit insulation, sound proofing, double glazing , air con/heat pumps , woodburners. In fact anything one specifies is possible. Standard plans can be altered to suit. It is all about the $$.

If you want something off the peg, then it is best to talk with an architect who will have his preferred builder ( joiner) , sparkies/plumbers , jib stoppers etc.

Build prices can be just as cost effective as buying an already built home. Depends on your budget and wants.

We live in a 40 year old cedar clad 2 storey house which faces north. It has single glazing & insulated walls . We have one wood burner . The house is cool in summer and very warm in winter. Too warm at times with us throwing open the upstairs windows.

Because of the position our house is worth every bit as much as the new builds happening at the end of our road.
Old Mar 30th 2016, 7:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

One area most self builds underestimate is the cost of peripheral bits like access drives, paths, decking, landscaping, utility connection, water tanks/sewerage (if rural) etc. These costs tend to be lost if buying an older house (usually priced on a location and sq m basis).
Old Mar 30th 2016, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely correct kotare.
You must add at least 10-15% to a build estimate to cover price rises, labour cost increases and underestimates for electricity connection, other utilities, maybe a septic tank if rural etc.
The major cost items are things like earthworks, retaining walls and the like which require machinery and men over many days. The simplest of builds may need $50k of earthworks. Another high cost again is concrete, so reducing the sq meterage of concrete outside the home can give you a big saving.
We are building with Platinum Homes in Tauranga very soon. Just at the design drawing stage in readiness for getting the build contract ready to sign. We started the process in November 2015 with an estimate of $361k for a 240 sq mtr single level home........latest pricing schedule is $393k, however it should be another $25k above even that since all building materials and labour costs have risen approx. 10% in the last couple of months. Luckily our sales lady has managed to prevent the price rise being passed on to us...for the time being at least.

The one good thing about buying a section and building yourself is that you get to live exactly where you want and build a house specifically for you. You don't really have to compromise assuming you have sufficient budget.
We will still spend the same amount of $'s, but in our opinion we'll get a much better property on a much bigger section than what we would have got if we had bought a used home.

Current build costs are from around $1200 per sq metre for bottom of the ladder quality up to $1700/$1800 for high spec. Our build is around $1650 per sq metre and gives a really decent spec and good options.
If you are doing a bespoke build and approaching an architect to design a place for you it'll be heading North of $2000 per square metre.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.