NEW TO ALL THIS

Old Apr 29th 2008, 1:37 pm
JLB
Just Joined

JLB is on a distinguished road
Question NEW TO ALL THIS

Hi

Me and my family are just starting to think about starting a new life abroad, its something my husband has wanted to do for a few years but I've only just started to thing seriously about it.

I want to get a few opinions really, firstly are we best to go through an agent to do all the paperwork or are we best to do it ourselves and secondly the main aim of the move is to get a better life for us and our two young children, so is it really a better life and if so in what way.

Thanks
Old Apr 29th 2008, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

kira has a brilliant futurekira has a brilliant futurekira has a brilliant futurekira has a brilliant futurekira has a brilliant futurekira has a brilliant future
Default Re: NEW TO ALL THIS

Originally Posted by JLB
Hi

Me and my family are just starting to think about starting a new life abroad, its something my husband has wanted to do for a few years but I've only just started to thing seriously about it.

I want to get a few opinions really, firstly are we best to go through an agent to do all the paperwork or are we best to do it ourselves and secondly the main aim of the move is to get a better life for us and our two young children, so is it really a better life and if so in what way.

Thanks
hi jlb and welcome
im also new to this so cant really give you loads of advice, but since ive been background searching alot of the community on here say to do it without an agency, this being because an agency asks £3500 - £4500 but you can do it yourselves for £1000,
we are going to a seminar (kind of meeting) on the 11th of may up in leeds just to see how an agency works and also to get abit more insight on he whole immagration thing. personally id rather do it myself but the hubby wants to weigh the pros and cons first, my hubby me and 2 girls age 9 and 12 are hoping to move to NZ next year in the bay of plenty area.
my hubby backpacked around NZ many years ago and loved it, me ive never been, he says its a very laid back life, wages are less but its safe for children to play and theres more outdoor activities to do as well as beautiful scenery. he also says that the people are lovely and friendly.
i hope ive been abit of help, and im sure the community on here will help you as they are great and have a better knowledge than myself at the moment.
good luck and if you need anything just shout if i can help in anyway i will
Old Apr 29th 2008, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

joandmike is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kira
hi jlb and welcome
im also new to this so cant really give you loads of advice, but since ive been background searching alot of the community on here say to do it without an agency, this being because an agency asks £3500 - £4500 but you can do it yourselves for £1000,
we are going to a seminar (kind of meeting) on the 11th of may up in leeds just to see how an agency works and also to get abit more insight on he whole immagration thing. personally id rather do it myself but the hubby wants to weigh the pros and cons first, my hubby me and 2 girls age 9 and 12 are hoping to move to NZ next year in the bay of plenty area.
my hubby backpacked around NZ many years ago and loved it, me ive never been, he says its a very laid back life, wages are less but its safe for children to play and theres more outdoor activities to do as well as beautiful scenery. he also says that the people are lovely and friendly.
i hope ive been abit of help, and im sure the community on here will help you as they are great and have a better knowledge than myself at the moment.
good luck and if you need anything just shout if i can help in anyway i will
Welcome ladies

I am pretty new to this all too but it is a great site, full of really great knowledge and everyone is really helpful too. I have learnt so much in the month that I have been on here and I have to say that everyone here is much better placed to advise you rather than some agency guy. Most of the people on here have "been there done and got the t-shirt" and as they say experience is the best thing.

Good luck to you both and hopefully we can all meet up in NZ one day

Jo
Old Apr 29th 2008, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

kira has a brilliant futurekira has a brilliant futurekira has a brilliant futurekira has a brilliant futurekira has a brilliant futurekira has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by joandmike
Welcome ladies

I am pretty new to this all too but it is a great site, full of really great knowledge and everyone is really helpful too. I have learnt so much in the month that I have been on here and I have to say that everyone here is much better placed to advise you rather than some agency guy. Most of the people on here have "been there done and got the t-shirt" and as they say experience is the best thing.

Good luck to you both and hopefully we can all meet up in NZ one day

Jo
cheers jo for the info, its great to get insight from others good or bad. its a scarey process and boy do you go through some emotions. im hoping the hubby comes to my way of thinking and doing it ourselves, hopefully when we get there we will be able to meet up with people who have helped for a beer and a good chin wag
thanks again jo
kira x
Old Apr 30th 2008, 9:04 am
JLB
Just Joined

JLB is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: NEW TO ALL THIS

Hi Jo & Kira

Thanks for that, I think I fancy going down the do it yourself route so I'll just have to see what my husband thinks cos we are in the very early stages at the moment, we're not even sure what Country we want to come to I think more Oz but my Husband is more NZ whereas we have some friends due to arrive in Canada in July and Canada also looks good. I personally want more sun and an outdoor life for my children, my little girl (nearly 5) is very pale and seems to struggle through the winter, and my little boy (2 ½) is out the door the minute he is up (weather permitting) and its a struggle to get him back in.

Old Apr 30th 2008, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JLB
Hi Jo & Kira

Thanks for that, I think I fancy going down the do it yourself route so I'll just have to see what my husband thinks cos we are in the very early stages at the moment, we're not even sure what Country we want to come to I think more Oz but my Husband is more NZ whereas we have some friends due to arrive in Canada in July and Canada also looks good. I personally want more sun and an outdoor life for my children, my little girl (nearly 5) is very pale and seems to struggle through the winter, and my little boy (2 ½) is out the door the minute he is up (weather permitting) and its a struggle to get him back in.

hi jlb
choosing a country is really important, i was thinking about canada and oz before new zealand. my hubby has also been to oz says its a lovely country but isnt as laid back as new zealand, plus i think poisoness bugs put me off oz too lol, canada is ment to be nice too but i believe its a fast track lifestyle there, you earn mega money working mega hours. even though the wage is less in new zealand the idea of a more laid back lifestyle appeals to me. if your not sure which country to emmergrate to id write a list of pros and cons, what you and your family want in life and then weigh it all up, maybe that will help you to choose your destination. which ever country you choose i hope it goes well for you and your family.
x
Old May 6th 2008, 1:24 pm
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by JLB
Hi

Thanks
Don't waste your money on an agent, think about it the agent works on the information you give them, you might as well give it straight to immigration, through an agent it takes longer, as you go through a 3rd party.

Yes it is a very hard decision to make, is it worth it, it depends on what you are leaving and what you want from life. We left a lot of good friends, but you make new friends. The kids can play out for longer, life is more relaxed, Your washing dries quicker! Life is not as complicated, much quieter, simple way of life. Kiwi's do not go out of their way to offend, but as a natural part of their personality they speak the truth, which is good as you will know why the neighbours won't speak to you as opposed to UK when you have no idea why someone stops speaking to you. You don't have to 'keep up with the Jones's' to the same extent, monetary worth is not as prominent.

I feel I would regret more not giving something a go than trying and deciding it is not for me, but you must be open minded. Your Husband has wanted to do this for a long time, preferences can become major difficulties/resentments in later life.

Life in NZ does not resemble life in the UK at all, it is different much better in some aspect, possible worse in others. Your children will settle beautifully, and in their settling will help you.

I looked upon my move to NZ as no different to a move in the UK, you still have to start again, making friends, new employment, new schools etc you just travel for longer and wait longer for your furniture.

The one thing I would say is if you make the move, use a establish movers, a household name and bring everything and I mean everything, kitchen sink, the lot. It's amazing how comforting your 'old belongings' become when in a new country, plus it's a lot cheaper to move than replace. Best

To answer your second question, I do not regret my move at all, my eldest son is doing far better here than he did in the UK, the sunshine cheers you, their are a lot of expats willing and able to give support, me included. If you come with an open mind and no expectations of finding paradice you will love NZ
Old May 7th 2008, 9:16 am
Just Joined

Buz10 is an unknown quantity at this point

DO IT!!!

It will be the best thing you ever did