Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

new to this all????

new to this all????

Old Mar 20th 2008, 2:34 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 5
the3ofus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default new to this all????

Hi to everyone

As the title suggest I am new to this and I havent a clue to be honest but I am hoping that there is someone that will be able to give me some help and advice.

My partner, 5year old daughter and myself are looking to start a new life in NZ.

My Partner has the opportunity to work as a correction officer and we gained some info about visa through a recent expo in Belfast.

He has a psych test to do over the phone in a few weeks time and then hopefully an interview in NZ not long after that. We are hoping all goes well and then we will apply for the sponsorship visa with help from the immigration company we spoke to at the expo.

My questions to you are in no particular order-:

If he is successful at the interview and is offered the job,will it be required to have a medical and police check carried out. If so how long do these usually take????

Can we get police checks and medicals done now or not????

Do we need proof of visa before shipping our house contents???? We had a guy out this morning who passed comment that we would need this.

He aslo stated that it would take 6-8 weeks for items to arrive but if we OH gets the job we would need to be in NZ long before that............How do I work this?????

If OH gets the job and is given a start date to be started in a matter of weeks where do I begin with things what do I do first????

What is the school terms like in NZ My daughter turned 5 in Feb and will be finishing year one in June??

We are looking to moving to Wanguani area can anyone advise on schools and areas to live?

I am aware that if OH gets the job we will have to go through a work residency visa and update every three years.

I know this can happen very quickly and I am just a little confused by it all.

I will be 25 this year and my OH will be 30. we are new to all this type of thing so any info will be appreciated.

Claire
the3ofus is offline  
Old Mar 21st 2008, 5:02 am
  #2  
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,813
happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: new to this all????

Hi Claire,

I'll try to answer some of your questions.
Originally Posted by the3ofus View Post
We are hoping all goes well and then we will apply for the sponsorship visa with help from the immigration company we spoke to at the expo.
Uh-oh, red flag goes up.

Originally Posted by the3ofus View Post
My questions to you are in no particular order-:

If he is successful at the interview and is offered the job,will it be required to have a medical and police check carried out. If so how long do these usually take?
It depends. If the job on offer is for less than twelve months then no meds or cop shop clearance. If the offer is for a longer period, then yes, off to get poked, prodded and have your insides photographed.

Originally Posted by the3ofus View Post
Can we get police checks and medicals done now or not?
That depends on the time-line. Your medicals have a shelf life of three months and your police clearances are good for six months.

Originally Posted by the3ofus View Post
If OH gets the job and is given a start date to be started in a matter of weeks where do I begin with things what do I do first?
Hopefully you will have all your visas in place. I would think you would also need to tie up loose ends where you are, book flights, pack...

Originally Posted by the3ofus View Post
What is the school terms like in NZ? My daughter turned 5 in Feb and will be finishing year one in June.
School starts the last week of January and ends mid-December. There are four terms of ten weeks with two-week breaks between terms. Summer holiday lasts six weeks.

Children can start school as soon as they turn 5.

Originally Posted by the3ofus View Post
I am aware that if OH gets the job we will have to go through a work residency visa and update every three years.
Who told you that? That is incorrect. If you are on a three-year work visa that may be the case, but it certainly doesn't work that way for work-to-residency. If you go via the work-to-residency route you should be granted permanent residency after two years.

Originally Posted by the3ofus View Post
I know this can happen very quickly and I am just a little confused by it all.
It can be a lot to digest, yup.

Originally Posted by the3ofus View Post
I will be 25 this year and my OH will be 30. we are new to all this type of thing so any info will be appreciated.

Claire
Don't use an immigration agent. It sounds like the 'adviser' you talked to is already handing out wrong advice. You can do it yourself. Just take it step by step, be logical, methodical and come here to ask questions if you get stuck.
happynz is offline  
Old Mar 21st 2008, 4:18 pm
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 5
the3ofus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: new to this all????

Originally Posted by happynz View Post
Hi Claire,

I'll try to answer some of your questions.
Uh-oh, red flag goes up.

It depends. If the job on offer is for less than twelve months then no meds or cop shop clearance. If the offer is for a longer period, then yes, off to get poked, prodded and have your insides photographed.

That depends on the time-line. Your medicals have a shelf life of three months and your police clearances are good for six months.

Hopefully you will have all your visas in place. I would think you would also need to tie up loose ends where you are, book flights, pack...

School starts the last week of January and ends mid-December. There are four terms of ten weeks with two-week breaks between terms. Summer holiday lasts six weeks.

Children can start school as soon as they turn 5.

Who told you that? That is incorrect. If you are on a three-year work visa that may be the case, but it certainly doesn't work that way for work-to-residency. If you go via the work-to-residency route you should be granted permanent residency after two years.

It can be a lot to digest, yup.

Don't use an immigration agent. It sounds like the 'adviser' you talked to is already handing out wrong advice. You can do it yourself. Just take it step by step, be logical, methodical and come here to ask questions if you get stuck.
Thank you for the info you are right I did have my wires crossed yes but he must earn $52000 a year to get a permanent residency.

Thanks very much for the info on schools.

many thanks

claire
the3ofus is offline  
Old Mar 21st 2008, 8:00 pm
  #4  
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,813
happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: new to this all????

Originally Posted by the3ofus View Post
Thank you for the info you are right I did have my wires crossed yes but he must earn $52000 a year to get a permanent residency.
For work-to-residency the minimum is NZD$50K, so NZD$52K should do.

Thanks very much for the info on schools.

many thanks

claire
Good luck.
happynz is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.