New adventure ?

Old May 3rd 2021, 10:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Mishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New adventure ?

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
Aw thanks mate
In full-on research mode at the moment as you'd expect. Not had any dream dashers or negatives thrown at us yet. Everyone we have discussed it with or asked advice has told us there is no competition and with the numbers and how they stack up we'd be mad to stay.
Ideally we'll get extra dollars in excess of what the online valuation is for the house and that may allow us to buy a property somewhere in the South Island and rent it out till we're ready to use it in retirement as we still wanna come back to NZ and do the full country tour for a year.
Will keep popping back to report how it's going.
Take it easy.
Cheers
Please do pop in and say hi, agree with chch4me, you've been great and am happy to see you go on your new adventures!
Old May 3rd 2021, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by okonumiyaki
What do you do? Getting good jobs over age of 50 in Australia as an immigrant with no social/ professional network - not easy
In a nut-shell, I manage the New Zealand National Grid and Wholesale Energy Market for the whole country on shift as part of a 24 strong shift team. We manage the complete energy and security needs of the grid as the System Operator

Kind of a niche industry and a highly specialized role. We are internationally sought after so invariably the companies around the world that require these skills recruit from all over the world as the skill simply doesn't exist locally. It isn't really a role you can teach to a youngster. It takes years of experience in all aspects of the energy industry to gain sufficient competency . There are many aspects to the job and I could also take a specific role doing any one of those instead of doing the same in Oz. Prior to that I was also a Senior Transmission Control engineer for a large UK distribution/transmission company so could always fall back to working for a Network company.......I have a few options to go at.
Have seen a couple of vacancies I could go for but just waiting to chat to recruitment agents to get more info before deciding if I should apply - they're on public holidays in Brizzy today.
Old May 3rd 2021, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Just here, keeping the lights on for y'all :-)
Old May 3rd 2021, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

Timmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Only problem is you'd have to change your name!
Old May 4th 2021, 9:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timmy Chch
Only problem is you'd have to change your name!
I m sure Mods can change it to escapedfromNZ
Old May 16th 2021, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ok, update so far.....
Jobs for me have been a bit thin on the ground. Luckily one popped up there on the 13th May so have applied (identical to the job I have in NZ). Unfortunately not Brisbane, which would be our ideal location, but working out of Perth CBD. Luckily Perth will also provide everything we need ticking off on our Wants List so we're all on board with it - even the kids, so fingers crossed I get a response and they consider me further.........I'd also like to add that the starting salary for a newbie in this role is currently SIXTY GRAND more than I get paid in NZ....Holy Moly!!!
....and for those itching to post "money isn't everything"....don't waste your time!
Old May 17th 2021, 6:42 am
Forum Regular

okonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond repute

fingers crossed for you!
Old May 17th 2021, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Mishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, update so far.....
Jobs for me have been a bit thin on the ground. Luckily one popped up there on the 13th May so have applied (identical to the job I have in NZ). Unfortunately not Brisbane, which would be our ideal location, but working out of Perth CBD. Luckily Perth will also provide everything we need ticking off on our Wants List so we're all on board with it - even the kids, so fingers crossed I get a response and they consider me further.........I'd also like to add that the starting salary for a newbie in this role is currently SIXTY GRAND more than I get paid in NZ....Holy Moly!!!
....and for those itching to post "money isn't everything"....don't waste your time!
Nup, not posting that, 60 grand is a decent bit of extra coin! Good luck with the application!
Old May 18th 2021, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

I migrated to oz in the early 90's and while there considered a move to Perth.
we went for a look around but didn't move there as it felt very isolated
Old May 19th 2021, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Justcol
I migrated to oz in the early 90's and while there considered a move to Perth.
we went for a look around but didn't move there as it felt very isolated
Cheers for that.
Yes we have considered it since it is out on a limb over on the West side and 4hrs flight away from Brisbane/Sydney etc, but we feel it is big enough with enough things going on to keep us all happy. It also allows us access to a big part of the world we are interested in and brings us closer to the UK - "only" a single 18hr flight away to Manchester. We are both gonna have to endure a few trips back in the next 5-10 ? years as parent age. That is inevitable so a move to Perth works for that also. Will only know for sure if we experience it. There's nothing glaringly obvious that is making us say No to Perth and out of the half a dozen people we know who live / have lived there, they all speak highly of it. Brizzy gets equal praise but has the downside of being super humid and hot in summer, so much so one wouldn't go outdoors, rain storms are like monsoons so you can't go out in it as it is just too heavy so you just have to sit it out however long it lasts, it goes dark early as they don't do daylight savings and you'll never see a good sunset on the beach as its in the West.
We are also considering Adelaide but that's it. Defo no to Melbourne, Sydney or anywhere else in Aus.
Have since applied for another role in Perth (that's three now) and one in Adelaide.
It's just a waiting game.
Old May 19th 2021, 4:28 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers for that.
Yes we have considered it since it is out on a limb over on the West side and 4hrs flight away from Brisbane/Sydney etc, but we feel it is big enough with enough things going on to keep us all happy. It also allows us access to a big part of the world we are interested in and brings us closer to the UK - "only" a single 18hr flight away to Manchester. We are both gonna have to endure a few trips back in the next 5-10 ? years as parent age. That is inevitable so a move to Perth works for that also. Will only know for sure if we experience it. There's nothing glaringly obvious that is making us say No to Perth and out of the half a dozen people we know who live / have lived there, they all speak highly of it. Brizzy gets equal praise but has the downside of being super humid and hot in summer, so much so one wouldn't go outdoors, rain storms are like monsoons so you can't go out in it as it is just too heavy so you just have to sit it out however long it lasts, it goes dark early as they don't do daylight savings and you'll never see a good sunset on the beach as its in the West.
We are also considering Adelaide but that's it. Defo no to Melbourne, Sydney or anywhere else in Aus.
Have since applied for another role in Perth (that's three now) and one in Adelaide.
It's just a waiting game.
Until covid we did the Perth - Manchester trip once a year, usually transitting in Dubai. Around 11 hours to Dubai, a couple of hours layover then a quick 7-ish hours to Manchester. Qatar and Abu Dhabi work well too.

I hated the Perth - Singapore - London - Manchester route, but didn't mind going via Hong Kong and Bangkok because we had stopovers in both places.

If you have the time, taking the Indian Pacific train instead of flying is a nice way to get to the East coast. And it sounds as though you're interested in travelling through Southeast Asian countries? You'll be spoilt for choice, I can recommend Vietnam if you haven't been yet. We've travelled from Hanoi down to Ho Chi Minh twice and loved it. Have also been to all the other SE Asian countries quite a few times, if you make it over here and want to talk holiday destinations give me a shout
Old May 19th 2021, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

We settled in Adelaide. I liked it. It had a nice feel to it and great access to beaches and the outdoors. It seemed however, the rest of Australia viewed Adelaide as a giant retirement village but I never got that vibe. We only left because my ex wife couldn't settle. I would have quite happily stayed

Last edited by Justcol; May 19th 2021 at 8:37 pm.
Old May 19th 2021, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Justcol
We settled in Adelaide. I liked it. It had a nice feel to it and great access to beaches and the outdoors. It seemed however, the rest of Australia viewed Adelaide as a giant retirement village but I never got that vibe. We only left because my ex wife couldn't settle. I would have quite happily stayed
That's one place I've never been, I have a friend in NZ who lived in Adelaide for 12 years before returning to nz and loved it. I wouldn't mind checking it out one day, I've heard from a few people that it's quite nice..
Old May 22nd 2021, 4:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Yeah not sure Adelaide will cut it in all honesty.
On the surface it appeals as I believe the CBD has been designed by the same guy who designed Christchurch so they both have a similar set up and feel and since we like ChCh we'll more than likely like Adelaide, but researching things to do for the kids etc there's nowhere near as much going on as there is in Brizzy or Perth and not too crazy the weather there will suit us as much as the others. Have found some stunning homes there, which is an advantage, but just not 100% about Adelaide.
I've also done a bit more research in to the company where I've applied for a job and nowhere near as big or "industry leading" as the advert suggests and I'll possibly have to travel in to Victoria and NSW a bit as the assets I'd be managing are all that way on so that role is raising some questions. Don't wanna end up in some dead end job just for the sake of moving to Aus.
Its not a definite No for Adelaide. Still a possible but defo last on the list.
Old May 22nd 2021, 10:32 pm
Just Joined

Perro is an unknown quantity at this point

Your post hits home with us also, 10 years here in NZ, we are over it,
I am an electrician, there's just not the work here, I'm commercial/industrial install, been hovering round all these years, waiting on the shovel ready projects to appear, its just not going to happen, wages are shite, days long, cost of living off the page, housing vastly overpriced & overated.
I worked in oz on a solar farm for a few months, FIFO out of Brisbane, my first pay slip took some understanding, decent wage & employer paying 9.5% super, as opposed to the joke of a kiwi saver scheme in NZ, that some employers don't even pay.
Cost of living & standards in Aus was so much better, more to do for kids, little things like being able to get on a train & go to the theme parks with a year long pass etc, Guys I worked with thought I was joking when I told them the rates for electricians in NZ, so yeah, we are over it & will be heading over for good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.