New adventure ?

Old May 23rd 2021, 1:23 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New adventure ?

Perro
Thanks for the message. Sounds like you're thinking exactly the same as us.
Where are you based in NZ?
Good luck with your plans.
Old May 23rd 2021, 1:40 am
Just Joined

Perro is an unknown quantity at this point

In Hawkes Bay atm,
After living & working in Australia, its a no brainer compared to here, especially my line of work, totally different attitude, the whole pay a decent wage, leave away from home allowances, OT rates, superannuation, things to do apart from rugby rugby rugby, decent public transport,cost of living, oh & hot dogs in ikea.....
Seem to be paying a high price living in NZ,hellish expensive place.

All the best with your plans.
Old May 23rd 2021, 4:44 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Ah yeah Hawkes Bay. Love it but a bit on the quiet side work wise. You'd probably benefit from working/living elsewhere in NZ but Yep. Totally agree with you there.
No brainer for us with the cost of living, salary and buying a property aspects of life in Aus.
Would never disrespect NZ as it has been an awesome experience and we've loved living here but so looking forward to having more options in all aspects of life in general, more opportunities for us and the kids etc. Quite excited at the prospect.
Old May 23rd 2021, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
If you have the time, taking the Indian Pacific train instead of flying is a nice way to get to the East coast. And it sounds as though you're interested in travelling through Southeast Asian countries?
Yes I have looked at the Indian Pacific as a means to get from Sydney to Perth but it'll be something to do another day as we won't have the time to waste. Will have a limited period after arrival in Aus to set up before I start work so it'll be something to do when we are more settled.
Yes we are interested in SE Asian countries. Would love to do a bit of travelling around that part of the world and being in Aus with the assumed financial changes will allow that to happen.
Old Jul 1st 2021, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Update:
Still here
There has only been one job vacancy across the whole of Australia that matches what I do now and after that vacancy advert expired nearly 1 month ago and with zero response it's looking likely that I haven't even been considered
Still slightly optimistic though as I know Aus employers are slow. I have heard the company received a lot of applications for this role and they are currently whittling the numbers down to a more manageable number for interviewing this month.....just hope I am one of those.
Other than this I've also applied for around 8 other Power System Engineer roles across Perth and Brisbane with little to zero response.
Got to remain optimistic though.

On the other hand, the Mrs received a job offer in Perth pretty much immediately at one of the hospitals there. She can pick any hours she wants on any days she wants - no weekends, no public holidays and no night shifts.
Contemplating the possibility of just going over without me initially having a job and the Mrs working up around full time hours until I land a role, but in doing so I'd be restricted to roles in Perth.
Obs have the issue of current Covid19 restrictions on travel to also consider.
Old Jul 1st 2021, 5:29 am
Just Joined

Pretty much standard procedure with the aussies as I've found, they prefer you to be on the ground, have your tax file number and any trade related competencies completed, not sure if you would require LVR/CPR in your line of work, but it's not costly & you can get a grant, even as a NZ citizen whilst in Qld, be around $100.
I have had many job offers, but when not in Aus they are not too keen.
Take the plunge, go over if the missus has a job offer, which incidentally looks mint compared to here, then sort out some work. I flew into Aus last time, sorted my tax file number, bank, LVR/CPR, was working within a week.
Best of luck to you & your family.
Old Jul 1st 2021, 9:41 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
Update:
Still here
There has only been one job vacancy across the whole of Australia that matches what I do now and after that vacancy advert expired nearly 1 month ago and with zero response it's looking likely that I haven't even been considered
Still slightly optimistic though as I know Aus employers are slow. I have heard the company received a lot of applications for this role and they are currently whittling the numbers down to a more manageable number for interviewing this month.....just hope I am one of those.
Other than this I've also applied for around 8 other Power System Engineer roles across Perth and Brisbane with little to zero response.

On the other hand, the Mrs received a job offer in Perth pretty much immediately at one of the hospitals there. She can pick any hours she wants on any days she wants - no weekends, no public holidays and no night shifts.
Contemplating the possibility of just going over without me initially having a job and the Mrs working up around full time hours until I land a role, but in doing so I'd be restricted to roles in Perth.
Generally Aussies do prefer you to be on the ground here first. They like to take ages making decisions, but then want you to start work yesterday.
Old Jul 5th 2021, 12:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

paddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
Update:
Still here

Hey I'm only seeing this thread now and it very much resonated with us. We moved to Perth from Christchurch 6 months ago. We sold our home for a ridiculous price and it's since then went up another $50,000. We are in the process of building here as we did so with our other homes but the build times here is insane, thankfully we are in no rush. Australia is going through a Boom aswell but still nowhere near NZ levels when you look at Perth and Brisbane.

Our standard of living has increased substantially since coming here. I feel Jacinda is choking the working class and no doubt a mass exodus of kiwis will be arriving here soon. Honestly the move here was the best thing we ever did. We work less hours for more money meaning more family time. It was a no brainer. Hope it works out for you guys. Also my wife is a nurse, the hospitals here can't get enough staff
Old Jul 5th 2021, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

paddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Justcol
I migrated to oz in the early 90's and while there considered a move to Perth.
we went for a look around but didn't move there as it felt very isolated
Perth has gained a million people since then. When I lived in Christchurch it was hard to believe there was only a million people overall in the entire South Island which is almost twice the size of Ireland yet the locals were worried about overpopulation 😧 lol. It truly felt far more isolated than here in Perth which is a very spread out region of 2.1 million
Old Jul 5th 2021, 6:49 pm
Just Joined

I feel Jacinda is choking the working class and no doubt a mass exodus of kiwis will be arriving here soon. Honestly the move here was the best thing we ever did.

That's the vibe I get from a hell of a lot of people, especially trades, the move over can't come quick enough.
Old Jul 6th 2021, 5:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for the messages.
Yup, it is certainly a no brainer. The more and more we research and look in to the normal cost of everyday things here it just makes us want to be there yesterday.
Unfortunately the electrical engineering role that I specialize in doesn't often come up as a vacancy, so I'm kind of trying to sell myself in roles that are involved in what I do but less specific which is hard. I expect a big issue is Covid and it currently being the end of old and start of new financial years.
Just have to keep on applying and hope something comes about asap.
Old Jul 6th 2021, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perro
I feel Jacinda is choking the working class and no doubt a mass exodus of kiwis will be arriving here soon. Honestly the move here was the best thing we ever did.

That's the vibe I get from a hell of a lot of people, especially trades, the move over can't come quick enough.
Seems to be the truth. Arden is single handedly running this place into the ground. It's great if you're on a benefit or can claim any level of indigenous ancestry. (The two often go together) the rest of us are simply worker drones, tasked with improving their lives to the detriment of our own, while they sit back and watch us.
Old Jul 6th 2021, 8:53 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest I think this issue goes back far further than the current government but it is certainly true that New Zealand has become an extremely expensive place to live, particularly for young people. The problem has become extremely acute over the last couple of years because little of real value has been done to address the driving factors behind cost of living. It is probably too late now for redress within the normal course of government, whatever the outcomes we deserve them.

Old Jul 23rd 2021, 4:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Latest update......
At long last, I have an interview with an engineering consultancy that specializes in client projects for the power industry and mining etc next week via MS Teams. Not the perfect job that I was looking for but the next best thing. They're looking for a Senior electrical engineer based in in Brisbane CBD office and that role will develop in to a leadership role in the future which is a great prospect for the future knowing that there's already a pathway to promotion.
Just have to do a little bit of pre-interview prep and come up with some innovative questions for the Principal Engineer
Understand the travel bubble closes at 11:59pm tonight for 8 weeks, but it is just the quarantine free bubble that is closing and not a blanket travel ban and since there's no community Covid19 in NZ there shouldn't be an issue with us leaving NZ to Aus so hopefully that doesn't become an issue.
Fingers crossed
Old Jul 23rd 2021, 7:03 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Best of British with your interview 🤞. Exciting times for you and your whanau.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.