New adventure ?

Old Apr 19th 2021, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute
Default New adventure ?

Our time in NZ may be coming to an end!!!
Didn't think I'd ever say that but the reality of a possible shift is creeping up on us.
Love it here, especially in Tauranga but we're concerned for the future and especially if the kids will be able to afford their own home etc. Property prices are just getting ridiculous. We're also concerned how we would find the cash to pay for kids to go to Uni - if they wanted to go to Uni of course.
We both have great jobs and earn well here but could earn better elsewhere. We are both healthy (as far as we know) so have the potential to keep earning but we don't wanna be working past mid 60's (Im 50 this year and the Mrs 49). We have a great life in Tauranga, own a beautiful home with lots of equity but with a big mortgage and the high CoL we aren't that cashed up - the majority of our cash is invested in our property and affording forever remembering holidays etc for the kids and other things we'd love to do are out of reach needing years to save.
Have been researching lots and the option at the top of the list that pretty much solves all our requirements is a move to Australia.
The plan would be to take advantage of the crazy NZ property prices, sell up here, pay off the mortgage, migrate to Aus and be mortgage free or at worst case have a $100-150k mortgage and still own a really nice house with lots of equity in it. The benefits of property prices in Australia being much lower. A move to Aus also has the benefit of better opportunities and options for the kids as they grow up and since we'd have surplus cash in the bank it allows you to do things as a family that make you happy like trips back to the UK to see grandparents etc. We could afford to pay for education, buy their first car, deposit on their first home etc.
I understand you may think they sound spoilt, but they aren't and we strive to make sure they have both feet on the ground and know the value of money but we so dont want either of them having to struggle through life with money worries so me and the Mrs are looking at a 5yr plan of how we can get ourselves to that position.
Know very little about living in Australia other than we can live and work there as NZ Citizens so we'll be researching more as we head down that inevitable pathway. Good thing is we've already migrated to NZ so have the experience and arent daunted by another move overseas and have also spent time in Sydney previously.
Old Apr 19th 2021, 11:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New adventure ?

I think you'll find that property prices in Australia can be just as crazy and will really depend what part of Australia you are looking at. There are also cheaper parts of NZ, so very hard to compare. In Germany there is a saying "Vom Regen in die Traufe" so be aware. Kids will do their own thing anyway and the prices today are never the prices of tomorrow. Any housing market can crash and if you look at other thing such as Climate Change, it's another factor to consider for kids.
Old Apr 20th 2021, 3:12 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
I think you'll find that property prices in Australia can be just as crazy and will really depend what part of Australia you are looking at. There are also cheaper parts of NZ, so very hard to compare. In Germany there is a saying "Vom Regen in die Traufe" so be aware. Kids will do their own thing anyway and the prices today are never the prices of tomorrow. Any housing market can crash and if you look at other thing such as Climate Change, it's another factor to consider for kids.
Yes they sure can be, and just like in NZ the hotter prices are nearer to the city centers and the beaches. We're looking approx. 30 mins out of Brisbane CBD and so long as we're within 20-30 mins of the beach that's perfect. We're over the rural living after doing it for 6 years in NZ. Happy to carry it on here but wouldn't buy rural again.......it's just too much hard work to look after it when working full time. Give me a decent size section around 1000-1200 sqm in suburbia and I'll be happy.
Some absolutely stunning houses with pools in many a subdivision 30 mins away from Brizzy CBD for AU$800k-$900k - 5/6 bedrooms with office on a quarter acre section, cinema room, pool, huge outdoor area - we'd be mortgage free at that price simply because we have a huge amount of equity in our home here in NZ. It's kind of a no brainer really.
Yes there are cheaper parts of NZ that we could move to and be mortgage free or at worst very low mortgage, but the list of places where we can do that and where we'd actually live is tiny.
We're only talking about it as yet though. Still lots of research to do and questions to be answered. We aren't just gonna dive in and do it.....well unless I get a job offer I can't refuse
Old Apr 20th 2021, 7:15 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
Yes they sure can be, and just like in NZ the hotter prices are nearer to the city centers and the beaches. We're looking approx. 30 mins out of Brisbane CBD and so long as we're within 20-30 mins of the beach that's perfect. We're over the rural living after doing it for 6 years in NZ. Happy to carry it on here but wouldn't buy rural again.......it's just too much hard work to look after it when working full time. Give me a decent size section around 1000-1200 sqm in suburbia and I'll be happy.
Some absolutely stunning houses with pools in many a subdivision 30 mins away from Brizzy CBD for AU$800k-$900k - 5/6 bedrooms with office on a quarter acre section, cinema room, pool, huge outdoor area - we'd be mortgage free at that price simply because we have a huge amount of equity in our home here in NZ. It's kind of a no brainer really.
Yes there are cheaper parts of NZ that we could move to and be mortgage free or at worst very low mortgage, but the list of places where we can do that and where we'd actually live is tiny.
We're only talking about it as yet though. Still lots of research to do and questions to be answered. We aren't just gonna dive in and do it.....well unless I get a job offer I can't refuse
I'm sure NZ is the same as Australia in this, so you probably already know it - glossy real estate photos can often translate into run down shacks in very undesireable suburbs, so do your homework well!
Old Apr 20th 2021, 7:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Of course and with the equity you have now you'd be crazy to not think about it. Although in Ireland myself now I get your points with rural and it being too much work and I suppose due to remoteness in NZ you are even more limited. We bought a smaller section of land (650 m2) in the North-East Spain a few years ago and started building a smaller house later on. Compared to the 3000 m2 we have here, it's so much easier to maintain and more than enough. For now it's only a holiday home and no doubt the climate, access to beach, city is a huge benefit. I still don't know if I'd want to make a permanent move later on and sometimes it's just great to have no people around you with the space we have here. Another factor is climate and with summers getting hotter, the severe storms etc., it's really something to consider for kids. Don't forget that Brisbane also gets dark early and most people I know want to enjoy the longer brighter evenings after work, rather than pushing everything to 5am in the morning. Not trying to put you off but these are all things to consider and maybe NZ isn't bad after all.
Old Apr 20th 2021, 8:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Don't forget that Brisbane also gets dark early and most people I know want to enjoy the longer brighter evenings after work, rather than pushing everything to 5am in the morning. Not trying to put you off but these are all things to consider and maybe NZ isn't bad after all.
Not majorly different to North Island of NZ - during winter months it's getting dark here at around 5.15pm and dark before 6pm for at least six months of the year.
Old Apr 20th 2021, 9:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Not majorly different to North Island of NZ - during winter months it's getting dark here at around 5.15pm and dark before 6pm for at least six months of the year.
But in Brisbane that's nearly the whole year and most working people look forward to their garden after work while it's still bright. When you have normal office hours and even in January it's dark before 7pm, the concept of outdoor living in a sunny country goes out the window. Sure you have the weekend, although that is usually spent shopping and driving kids around and Sunday could be another wet day with thunder, or too hot and you end up in the shade. It was dark here around 8:30pm yesterday and I'm looking forward to longer evenings. We have friends who left Brisbane and that was one of the reasons, so NZ seems to be better in that sense.

Last edited by Moses2013; Apr 20th 2021 at 10:34 am.
Old Apr 20th 2021, 10:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Mishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond repute

I have lived in Brissie and the Gold coast, I prefer Brisbane, the only thing for me is the humidity, I can't handle the Qld humidity at all. I would recommend not living in the Logan area, sorry but it's not the best and it covers a huge area.

Good luck on your adventures if you do end up going! My oldest daughter stayed in Central coast nsw but she's 23 and they do their own thing like I did when I was young and now not so young!
Old Apr 23rd 2021, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hey team BE, thanks for the advice. Will certainly take it all on board.

If you have any experience of Brisbane, where are the good suburbs to live in....in your opinion. Which are the ones to steer clear of...and why ?
We are looking at many houses on realestate.com.au in many different suburbs but no idea if these places are good, safe, kid friendly etc. etc. Obs we have to think about schools also as our boys are currently 10yrs and 5yrs old.
Cheers.
Old Apr 24th 2021, 12:09 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
Hey team BE, thanks for the advice. Will certainly take it all on board.

If you have any experience of Brisbane, where are the good suburbs to live in....in your opinion. Which are the ones to steer clear of...and why ?
We are looking at many houses on realestate.com.au in many different suburbs but no idea if these places are good, safe, kid friendly etc. etc. Obs we have to think about schools also as our boys are currently 10yrs and 5yrs old.
Cheers.
Personally I couldn't live in Queensland, it's too hot for me. Plus with the early dark nights even in the Summer, no thanks. I've only visited Brisbane a couple of times but I like the area down by the river.
My childhood neighbours from St Helens have lived in Brisbane for around 20 years. They are in the Albany Creek and Eatons Hill area. Elaine's children are all in their 20's now and have attended schools in the area. They have all done very well. Likewise her sister's 2 children, who were born there. The youngest being in her late teens now.
The quality of sports and leisure facilities for all are outstanding. Their dad is in his 80's and still playing bowls like he's 30. We went to the club where he plays and it was very impressive. Great dining facilities and lots of other activities, it was huge and well kept.
There was an excellent train service to and from the city. It's certainly somewhere we would consider if Brisbane was an option. I prefer Melbourne.
Good luck with planning your possible new adventure.
Old Apr 24th 2021, 7:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Property prices are hardly cheap in Brisbane. Remember more affordable areas may well be prone to social disadvantage and all that goes with that. Drugs (as in NZ) are an issue in all Australian cities. I know someone that left the area of Logan (out of Brisbane) due to meth (ice) prevalence in their street and area in general.
Don't be fooled by real estate sales spills. I've witnessed some very dodgy things in WA to have much faith in that area but another story.
You will really need to observe the area carefully and even then may not rumble it. But there must be other areas that could be worthy of consideration. I have given some thought to moving from WA to Gold Coast , already looking at housing options. Very uncertain though ,
Good luck. No easy task getting it right.
Old Apr 29th 2021, 1:53 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Affordability depends on where you intend intend to settle in Australia.

House price to household income Australia (CoreLogic, Q4 2020):
Sydney: 8.3
Regional NSW: 6.6
Melbourne: 7.1
Regional Vic: 5.6
Brisbane: 5.7
Regional Qld: 6.7
Adelaide: 6.2
Regional SA: 4.8
Perth: 5.5
Regional WA 5.1
Hobart: 5.5
Regional Tas 5.0
Darwin: 4.5
Regional NT 4.7
Australian Capital Territory: 5.2
National: 6.9

House price to household income New Zealand cities (CoreLogic, Q4 2020):
Auckland: 8.0
Hamilton: 6.7
Tauranga: 9.0
Wellington: 6.4
Christchurch: 5.2
Dunedin: 6.8
New Zealand: 6.8

Much as to say though I agree that if you have kids it might help them out to move. I don't think it's venturing out too far on a limb to say our national strategy of doing nothing productive about housing affordability has yielded entirely predictable results! No doubt there will be many younger Kiwis following that path. Keep us up to date.

​​​​​​​

Last edited by Charismatic; Apr 29th 2021 at 1:55 pm.
Old May 2nd 2021, 10:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

chc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond repute

A quick thank you to escapedtonz for being such an active part of the the NZ boards on this forum. Always quality opinions, thoughtful answers and supportive of members. Hopefully you will check in here from time to time and let us all know how the new adventure is going.
Old May 3rd 2021, 12:59 am
Forum Regular

okonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond repute

What do you do? Getting good jobs over age of 50 in Australia as an immigrant with no social/ professional network - not easy
Old May 3rd 2021, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by chc4me
A quick thank you to escapedtonz for being such an active part of the the NZ boards on this forum. Always quality opinions, thoughtful answers and supportive of members. Hopefully you will check in here from time to time and let us all know how the new adventure is going.
Aw thanks mate
In full-on research mode at the moment as you'd expect. Not had any dream dashers or negatives thrown at us yet. Everyone we have discussed it with or asked advice has told us there is no competition and with the numbers and how they stack up we'd be mad to stay.
Ideally we'll get extra dollars in excess of what the online valuation is for the house and that may allow us to buy a property somewhere in the South Island and rent it out till we're ready to use it in retirement as we still wanna come back to NZ and do the full country tour for a year.
Will keep popping back to report how it's going.
Take it easy.
Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.