Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Never Mind The Prison Officers What About The Wives

Wikiposts

Never Mind The Prison Officers What About The Wives

Old Nov 29th 2005, 10:48 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Never Mind The Prison Officers What About The Wives

It wouldn't let me, I'll send you some laters
Old Nov 29th 2005, 10:49 am
Banned

Power will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by sky
Cheers have some back (if it lets me)
Some from us too, your posts are never negative, they are what it is like living here.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 10:53 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Power
Some from us too, your posts are never negative, they are what it is like living here.
I'll send you some too
Old Nov 29th 2005, 10:56 am
Banned

Power will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by sky
I'll send you some too

Thanks Hope things improve for you Sky.. I have read loads about you and think you've had a very rough ride so far. We agree with everything you have said so far, it's real life that you have described and it's very hard isn't it? I will PM you.

xx
Old Nov 30th 2005, 1:44 am
Forum Regular

Robbo's is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by turkeytickler
eeek - you are in for a shock.... the weather is colder than the uk, the sausages are not fit for human consumption, the beer is like tap water and from what ive read about prison officers salaries you might want to think about a baby bath instead of a pool.....
Luckily i dont drink so the beer thing aint an issue for me.
I didnt realise the weather was colder than the uk i though it was on a par, oh well i've learnt something there.
Suppose another plus point is the fact that we will be coming over with quite a large sum so getting a pool wont be a problem but maintaining could be i suppose.
Not bothered about bangers either,
As long as there's plenty of chicken in NZ then i'll be fine !
Old Nov 30th 2005, 4:22 am
Banned

Lenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really nice

Originally Posted by Robbo's
I didnt realise the weather was colder than the uk i though it was on a par, oh well i've learnt something there.
Suppose another plus point is the fact that we will be coming over with quite a large sum so getting a pool wont be a problem but maintaining could be i suppose.
Not bothered about bangers either,
As long as there's plenty of chicken in NZ then i'll be fine !
You will be OK, public pools are cheaper than the UK. Glad to hear that another screw and family are going out there with more than a wallet full of loose change. We may have to spend it wisely though.
First I have heard about dodgy beer though, could be the first devastating post I have read on this forum.
Best of luck anyway
Old Nov 30th 2005, 6:23 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Proof of the pudding is in the eating, as they say. I am browner right now, at the beginning of the summer than I have ever been at the end of the Summer in Europe. And I haven't been sitting out in the sun either. It's just built up gradually over the last month or so from being out walking or doing a bit of gardening. Parts of the South Island have had higher temperatures than Auckland recently too so it's not just a North Island thing. I'm not being argumentative - just telling it as it is for me.
Old Nov 30th 2005, 6:28 am
sky
Banned

Originally Posted by Batty
Proof of the pudding is in the eating, as they say. I am browner right now, at the beginning of the summer than I have ever been at the end of the Summer in Europe. And I haven't been sitting out in the sun either. It's just built up gradually over the last month or so from being out walking or doing a bit of gardening. Parts of the South Island have had higher temperatures than Auckland recently too so it's not just a North Island thing. I'm not being argumentative - just telling it as it is for me.
Batty be careful and slap on lots of sun block though.
Old Nov 30th 2005, 6:31 am
turkeytickler

yes i also have a good suntan... i said colder not less sunny... when you are out in the sun it is very warm - that was even true back in august.... that is obviously because the sun is very strong.... out of the sun is another matter.

..... i live in chch, and the cold easterly wind pretty much kills off the summer down here. you cant sit outside in the evening it is too cold... my FIL had frost damage to his flower bed on sunday morning.

The only time the air temperature gets warm is when the famous norwester blows which is normally accompanied by howling winds so your sun umbrella is unusable.

We bought an outdoor table and chairs just before labour weekend when we had a hot spell...it lasted 3 days and has been cold and windy ever since.

Old Nov 30th 2005, 6:32 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the comments guys its nice to hear different peoples views. Yeah i've noticed the weather on the south island lately seems to be on a par and in some places hotter than right up north.
Old Nov 30th 2005, 6:43 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by turkeytickler
yes i also have a good suntan... i said colder not less sunny... when you are out in the sun it is very warm - that was even true back in august.... that is obviously because the sun is very strong.... out of the sun is another matter.

..... i live in chch, and the cold easterly wind pretty much kills off the summer down here. you cant sit outside in the evening it is too cold... my FIL had frost damage to his flower bed on sunday morning.

The only time the air temperature gets warm is when the famous norwester blows which is normally accompanied by howling winds so your sun umbrella is unusable.

We bought an outdoor table and chairs just before labour weekend when we had a hot spell...it lasted 3 days and has been cold and windy ever since.
Fair enough - but again, that's YOUR experience. It's definitely a lot warmer up here (I feel) than in Ireland and, I'd say, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong , Northern England and/or Scotland. I actually don't feel the heat very much and my husband comes home from work saying it's stinking hot and I'm looking for a fleece Two people in the same house who see the same thing in totally different ways.
Old Nov 30th 2005, 6:49 am
WAS bored stiff in USA

cyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud of

Good luck to all you prison officers & families & stay positive. My brother & his wife will be leaving Heathrow in a couple of hours for NZ. Sister-in-law is the one with the job to go to, she's going out as a probation officer ( sort of a similar line of work). She has just resigned from Durham Constabulary after reaching the rank of sergeant. They'll be surviving on her starting wage of $38K until my brother gets a job in Auckland. They don't have any kids & my SIL has more relatives there now than back in the UK so will have some family backup. They have been out there many times & are going with a really positive attitude determined to make it work.

We are also going as soon as our house sells here in the US (damn the blizzard we had the other night, that'll put things on hold for a bit) We're going to the South Island, & we can't wait for 3 weeks hols, wow, that would be a luxury over here.
Old Nov 30th 2005, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

Fair enough - but again, that's YOUR experience. It's definitely a lot warmer up here (I feel) than in Ireland and, I'd say, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong , Northern England and/or Scotland. I actually don't feel the heat very much and my husband comes home from work saying it's stinking hot and I'm looking for a fleece Two people in the same house who see the same thing in totally different ways.
Where abouts on the island are you batty ???
Old Nov 30th 2005, 6:55 am
By name and by nature

Where abouts on the island are you batty ???
Auckland - Glenfield on the North Shore.
Old Nov 30th 2005, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cyndi
Good luck to all you prison officers & families & stay positive. My brother & his wife will be leaving Heathrow in a couple of hours for NZ. Sister-in-law is the one with the job to go to, she's going out as a probation officer ( sort of a similar line of work). She has just resigned from Durham Constabulary after reaching the rank of sergeant. They'll be surviving on her starting wage of $38K until my brother gets a job in Auckland. They don't have any kids & my SIL has more relatives there now than back in the UK so will have some family backup. They have been out there many times & are going with a really positive attitude determined to make it work.

We are also going as soon as our house sells here in the US (damn the blizzard we had the other night, that'll put things on hold for a bit) We're going to the South Island, & we can't wait for 3 weeks hols, wow, that would be a luxury over here.
Good luck to your bro and his wife Cyndi, ask them to keep us all posted.
I think if you dont go with a positive attitude , determined to make a go of it then there's no point in even thinking about it.
And good luck to you guys in selling your house. Its not easy to sell a house for some reason in the uk at this present time but i dont know about the us.
Keep in touch

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.