Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Never Mind The Prison Officers What About The Wives

Never Mind The Prison Officers What About The Wives

Old Nov 27th 2005, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

Robbo's is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Never Mind The Prison Officers What About The Wives

As you may have guessed I am one of the many wives married to a prison officer that is making the big move.
My own opinion on new zealand is thet life is too short and it is a chance of a life time, there is many negative points that have been raised on new zealand but lets think about all the negatives of the uk and the list goes on.
I am 25 years old. I have a 2 year old son, and I do not want to bring my son up in this country, look at the recent news, that says it all.
I am going with an open mind,and certainly not wearing rose tinted glasses.
Good luck to all that are making the big move.
Lets all keep in touch and share our experiences.
Emma
Old Nov 28th 2005, 11:33 am
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Re: Never Mind The Prison Officers What About The Wives

Originally Posted by Robbo's
As you may have guessed I am one of the many wives married to a prison officer that is making the big move.
My own opinion on new zealand is thet life is too short and it is a chance of a life time, there is many negative points that have been raised on new zealand but lets think about all the negatives of the uk and the list goes on.
I am 25 years old. I have a 2 year old son, and I do not want to bring my son up in this country, look at the recent news, that says it all.
I am going with an open mind,and certainly not wearing rose tinted glasses.
Good luck to all that are making the big move.
Lets all keep in touch and share our experiences.
Emma
Hi Emma, I to am a prison officers wife, off to ChCh in January. I feel exactly the same as you. I have four of my five children coming with me, and they are the primary reason for us going. I do not like the way things are going here and living in the London area I just think they lifestyle in NZ would be so much better for them to be brought up in. The peer pressure for the kids to be into the 'hoodie' gangs is emormous and I just dont want that for them.
I know its going to be hard, i work here in the UK and fully intend to work in NZ. I think it will be a big culture shock for all of us, especially the kids who have lived here all their lives but im positive that I am doing the right thing and doing it in their best interest. Hope to hear from many more wives and would love to hear their views and experiences....

Sue
Old Nov 28th 2005, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Never Mind The Prison Officers What About The Wives

Originally Posted by Andrew Cross
Hi Emma, I to am a prison officers wife, off to ChCh in January. I feel exactly the same as you. I have four of my five children coming with me, and they are the primary reason for us going. I do not like the way things are going here and living in the London area I just think they lifestyle in NZ would be so much better for them to be brought up in. The peer pressure for the kids to be into the 'hoodie' gangs is emormous and I just dont want that for them.
I know its going to be hard, i work here in the UK and fully intend to work in NZ. I think it will be a big culture shock for all of us, especially the kids who have lived here all their lives but im positive that I am doing the right thing and doing it in their best interest. Hope to hear from many more wives and would love to hear their views and experiences....

Sue
hi sue, Its nice to hear from you we are hoping to be going out to nz in jan next year, we are going to Cambridge area,I am really excited about the whole move as well as been very scared at the same time like you said I too think we are doing the right thing with my son best interest in mind.
I am going to be working part time with pre school children and have been offered a job depending on if my qualification meet their requirements.
It is going to be a shock, but i'm looking foward to the change and also adapting to the kiwi life style which i think will be 100% better than the uk, (i love bbq's and beer) my way of relaxing, I would rather chill in the garden by the pool having bbq's and beer than going to the smoky pubs fighting your way to the bar and others looking for fights.

Lets hope we get more advice and other peoples experiences.

Good luck and keep in touch
Emma
Old Nov 28th 2005, 7:36 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

I would rather chill in the garden by the pool
It's not the med you know, the pool will be wasted much of the year. Unless it's heated and indoors lol
Old Nov 28th 2005, 9:44 pm
Make pumps lots......

Den13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really nice

Originally Posted by sky
It's not the med you know, the pool will be wasted much of the year. Unless it's heated and indoors lol
Well, she did say chill!!

But neither is it North Yorkshire......
Old Nov 28th 2005, 9:57 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Den13]Well, she did say chill!!
[QUOTE]

lol
Old Nov 28th 2005, 10:29 pm
livewire

can def recommend the BBQ by the pool bit.

As for swimming in the pool - well I'm far too soft me and it has to be blood temp before I'll get in. The kids however are much tougher and will go in at any temp - even in winter. They come out blue sometimes but after a hot shower they colour up nicely again.

I prefer the beaches when I want to go swimming and snorkeling, there are some lovely ones around here and plenty to choose from. Lots of fish too.

Old Nov 28th 2005, 10:43 pm
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by livewire
can def recommend the BBQ by the pool bit.

As for swimming in the pool - well I'm far too soft me and it has to be blood temp before I'll get in. The kids however are much tougher and will go in at any temp - even in winter. They come out blue sometimes but after a hot shower they colour up nicely again.

I prefer the beaches when I want to go swimming and snorkeling, there are some lovely ones around here and plenty to choose from. Lots of fish too.

Cambridge/Hamilton area is a waste of a pool unless it's heated which will cost you heaps. Believe me I live there and I still had the log burner on yesterday. Try and get a nice new home or at least one made of bricks. It helps. It can be very damp here at times.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

I realise that it's not the med Sky but thankyou anyway for yet another one of your sarcastic posts. I'd like to hear from people who would really like to make a go of things rather than people who cant see a positive side to anything.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

But thanks to those of you on here who have replied with sensible comments. Your advice is taken on board and appreciated.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 7:12 pm
sky
Banned

I realise that it's not the med Sky
Then you'll also realise a pool is really a waste of space in much of the country for most of the year.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

dekajack1 is on a distinguished road

But thanks to those of you on here who have replied with sensible comments. Your advice is taken on board and appreciated.
Hi

Really like the sound of this thread, my husband is a bit worried though, can he contribute being the husband of a Prison Officer.

When reading the first comments I was wondering how long it would take for Sky to make an appearance Not long.

Last shift done on Sunday, flying out on 9th January and starting on 13 February no rose tinted glasses but having worked with nudenut and knowing how much he is enjoying really looking forward to a big new adventure.

Take care and hope to see some of you soon.

Ann
Old Nov 29th 2005, 8:04 pm
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute

Enough of the 'Sky' bashing guys and gals...she's as much right as the rest of you to speak her mind...

You may not like what she has to say nor agree with her opinions but c'est la vie...she may not make life in NZ seem like wine and roses or dress things up the way you would like to hear about NZ but then again she will tell you the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth about life in New Zealand FOR HER and IN HER EXPERIENCE...

Nobody deserves the kind of verbal beating she has taken over the last few days and I don't want to see it continue any longer...if you really object to ANY member, put them on ignore and do exactly that...ignore them...

thank you...
Old Nov 29th 2005, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

UNIONJACK is on a distinguished road

Here is an idea if, if sky isn't a prison officer or related to one then maybe she should not post on a thread that prison officers are using to exchange ideas about their hopes and expectations and views of those in our job that are in NZ now. No offence intended but I would not post a reply on a thread aimed at a specific group of people.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Ann thanks for the reply and yeah tell the hubby he is more than welcome to reply on this thread.

Anyway by the sounds of it your going to be out there before us so I hope everything goes to plan for you.
I have sent nudenut several private messages and he has always been good enough to reply. By the sound of it he is loving it.

Good luck Ann and keep in touch :

Last edited by Pinkie Pie; Nov 29th 2005 at 8:38 pm. Reason: rule 1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.