Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Netflix. Is it worth it please?

Old Nov 8th 2016, 10:07 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Netflix. Is it worth it please?

Originally Posted by jmh
The main reason I do streaming is to avoid the adverts. There is some good tv here but the ad breaks drive me crazy.
I record everything so I can speed through the ads, hate watching anything live for that reason...
Old Nov 10th 2016, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonsi
I record everything so I can speed through the ads, hate watching anything live for that reason...
NZ apparently has the most adverts per hour anywhere in the world. Would not mind if any had any artistic or humourous merit, but they are all pretty much low budget crap.

On another note, I just bought an Apple TV, they cost $139 and is a little box that works on wifi with an HDMI cable that goes to your TV (you don't get the cable with the Apple TV by the way).

It has totally sorted my audio/video being out of synch. Streams at 1080 and does loads fo other stuff too. But for me it was worth it just to sort my out of synch issue. The latter appears to be a perrenial issue for so many people and hours of adjusting my fairly new lap top, tuning my Netflix configurations and manifold conversations with both Netflix and my fibre provider never sorted the problem. This did. Thank you Mr Jobs.
Old Nov 10th 2016, 9:18 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
NZ apparently has the most adverts per hour anywhere in the world.
Same as roads, its a function of sharing the TV/satellite infrastructure across a small population.
Old Nov 10th 2016, 10:44 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Back to this again.

We're finally able to have wireless broadband & the connection certainly seems faster at the moment.

Unotelly seems to have died a death or did I miss something.

Is Netflix worth it? I'm thinking UK TV, UK sport coverage and maybe some films thrown in. That type of thing.

You need a firmer grip.

Just want to be able to catch a bit of UK viewing* and some NH sport for himself. Particularly the rugby.

drama
satire
question time.

We don't actually watch TV that much what with one thing and another but it would be good to be able to cut through quite a lot of dross and ads to be able to enjoy what we do view.
BEVS, it doesn't sound like Netflix is actually what you want. I think you might get enough TV using Getflix to access iPlayer and other UK streaming sites. Getflix is very user friendly - I'm currently using their two week free trial to watch Bake Off. You can use Getflix to access UK/ US Netflix also if you want, but you can just set it up and then watch iPlayer/ channel 4 on demand etc.
Old Nov 10th 2016, 10:45 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

At any rate, with Getflix two week trial you can sign up (no credit card needed) and see how you get on. Could always add in Netflix later if you find you have become a binge-watching addict
Old Nov 10th 2016, 11:03 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
BEVS, it doesn't sound like Netflix is actually what you want. I think you might get enough TV using Getflix to access iPlayer and other UK streaming sites. Getflix is very user friendly - I'm currently using their two week free trial to watch Bake Off. You can use Getflix to access UK/ US Netflix also if you want, but you can just set it up and then watch iPlayer/ channel 4 on demand etc.
I agree - we have a smart DNS service for about $5 a month to get all the free to air stuff in the UK (BBC, ITV, etc) and also we like SBS in Australia that has a good movie catalog. That plus recording anything we like on local TV gives us plenty to watch.
Old Nov 11th 2016, 1:56 am
---

FYI, BEVS: https://www.getflix.com.au/
Old Nov 11th 2016, 1:57 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Originally Posted by southerner
I agree - we have a smart DNS service for about $5 a month to get all the free to air stuff in the UK (BBC, ITV, etc) and also we like SBS in Australia that has a good movie catalog. That plus recording anything we like on local TV gives us plenty to watch.
OK. jmh mentioned getflix also.
I'll have a look at that.

Thank you
Old Nov 14th 2016, 10:40 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Bevs,
Overplay.net is what we use if you wanted to look at another one. Always has been good customer service.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 10:43 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Thanks. Will have a look at that too.
Old Nov 18th 2016, 2:34 am
Forum Regular

PHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to behold

If you want to watch UK TV just plug your pc into your TV or use Chromecast and watch all the UK freeview TV channels for Free only thing is its live so remember where 12 hours ahead.
https://www.filmon.com/ then click FREE and live TV you can get TV from most countries in the world here for free.
Old Nov 20th 2016, 6:10 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Netflix. Is it worth it please?

No.

Last edited by MrsFychan; Nov 20th 2016 at 6:09 pm. Reason: sorry, lets not promote illegal sites here, sure everyone knows of them
Old Nov 20th 2016, 6:38 am
It is what it is Member

Originally Posted by Charismatic
No.

https:
Probably quite inappropriate for the forum to be used to promote an illegal file-sharing site that has been the subject of considerable shutdown attempts by the authorities. Presumably no paid viewing source is going to "be worth it" then?

Last edited by MrsFychan; Nov 20th 2016 at 6:09 pm. Reason: removed link
Old Nov 20th 2016, 8:42 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Is some of the pirate boy content illegal? Someone should get the IP police onto that.

Last edited by MrsFychan; Nov 20th 2016 at 6:10 pm. Reason: lets just misspell that :)