Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Net migration hits new record

Net migration hits new record

Old Sep 3rd 2016, 3:57 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Net migration hits new record

Originally Posted by jmh
A lot of people with retail experience don't want to work the weekends, so I guess it might be hard to find good staff prepared to work hours that don't fit well with family life.
True post I see some of the breakfast chefs at the big hotels start work at 04:00 am every day, that's even worse than working a night shift
Old Sep 3rd 2016, 4:06 am

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LoCarb
Quite a few Indian chefs too and not just in curry shops.

Surprised to see Indian staff at the Maison 8 restaurant in Waikanae, and I wonder why Cob & Co have blocked off their kitchen now when it used to be part of the experience to see the chefs cooking?
??
Old Sep 3rd 2016, 6:00 am
BE Enthusiast

LoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Stormer999
??
?? Yes I thought that too.
Old Sep 3rd 2016, 6:18 am

?? Yes I thought that too.
No you read me wrong, I am confused as to why you find it surprising to have Indian staff working at Maison 8
Old Sep 3rd 2016, 6:52 am
BE Enthusiast

LoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of light

No you read me wrong, I am confused as to why you find it surprising to have Indian staff working at Maison 8
Yes, I'm just being sarcastic, sorry

I should have said, they where the kitchen chefs & kitchen workers, and I did find that a surprise in a European restaurant, but probably just the result of new changes we are seeing in NZ society.

But in tune with the theme of the thread, why aren't unemployed Kiwis being trained to do these jobs instead of languishing on the benefit?

Why is the National government favoring immigration over retraining Kiwis?

My guess is..... probably lower wages and more profits for the elite.
Old Sep 3rd 2016, 7:14 am

BBC - Food - Chefs : Tony Singh recipes

It is sometimes so easy to be wrong and so easy to put things into wrong pockets.

Suppose being a Jock he can't even make a good curry....

Last edited by Stormer999; Sep 3rd 2016 at 7:17 am.
Old Sep 3rd 2016, 6:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

BBC - Food - Chefs : Tony Singh recipes

It is sometimes so easy to be wrong and so easy to put things into wrong pockets.

Suppose being a Jock he can't even make a good curry....
True, could be jumping to conclusions, but chef is top of the list in the immigration stats which I find surprising.
Old Sep 3rd 2016, 11:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

True, could be jumping to conclusions, but chef is top of the list in the immigration stats which I find surprising.
Yes it is very surprising, considering that eating out for Kiwis is still a pretty limited experience mostly centred around burgers, steak and chips, fish and chips, butter chicken and pies.

At the higher end NZ food culture is still largely stuck in the 80s and dining out on former glory of long since past it's sell by date bullshit of 'fusion' cuisine created by the 'Godfather' of Kiwi cooking Peter Gordon - he who has lived out of the country for the past 20 years or more and flies in once a year to sign some books and check his name is still above the door.

If you watch any of the cooking shows, MKR, Hottest Baker, Masterchef the lack of finesse and food knowledge in NZ stands out a mile - the look and feel is always at the low end of amateur on the spectrum when compared to equivalent shows in other countries; particularly the Aussies and UK who are absolutely streets ahead in terms of variety, knowledge of food, presentation, quality of ingredients etc. even at amateur levels.
Old Sep 4th 2016, 1:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Yes it is very surprising, considering that eating out for Kiwis is still a pretty limited experience mostly centred around burgers, steak and chips, fish and chips, butter chicken and pies.

At the higher end NZ food culture is still largely stuck in the 80s and dining out on former glory of long since past it's sell by date bullshit of 'fusion' cuisine created by the 'Godfather' of Kiwi cooking....
I bow to your expertise.... but the better restaurants in Kerikeri (and I suspect the bigger NZ cities) are as good as anything I have experienced in UK or Europe. Agreed some of the more rural NZ towns are limited to a meat pie or fish and chips - but I have had many really really bad meals in France/Italy etc - I believe hamburgers are the fashionable meal in Paris now.
Old Sep 4th 2016, 2:19 am

I find the standard of food in Chch to be excellent and freshly cooked on the premises as opposed to early morning delivery cold vans from the food factories. Germany always served me good food, Italy the worse together with equally as bad service. I am not much of a European foodie when out meat and two veg does not excite, more Asian for me but not bastardised versions just real...
Old Sep 4th 2016, 3:05 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

I don't watch reality TV, but my experience of eating out in NZ, limited though it is to Auckland, is that the food is pretty good. You do notice the foreign input of chefs, and it can make an interesting 'fusion' of foreign influence on fresh local produce.

My only complaint is when cafe's have gone down the low-fat fad diet route of not putting butter on bread or burger buns, and using awful fake spreads instead of natural fats. Use to be in the old days you would tell them you didn't want butter, now you have to tell them you do.
Old Sep 4th 2016, 6:38 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

...but chef is top of the list in the immigration stats which I find surprising.
Civil war in the kitchen mountains is driving Chefs to move away from Chefistan. UN is trying to broker a deal that will get Ramsey and Oliver around a table for peace talks but finding a menu that both will agree too is proving challenging.
Old Sep 4th 2016, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

Bo Jangles you need to get out more beyond the food hall at Albany Mall. We frequently dine at one of the many restaurants at the viaduct, or Ponsonby Rd, Devonport, and more usually around Botany and Howick. The food is first class and the customers are usually not Brit Expat snobs. Lol.
Old Sep 5th 2016, 9:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

SSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I was thinking what are they on about, the food here not being good. I think it's wonderful and top class. The street food in Christchurch is awesome too.
This thread got me thinking about the migration job shortage list also, I'm obviously a bit dim as it never occurred to me that the jobs on the list were put forward by companies that don't pay their staff well but now it's like a light bulb has been turned on. Yes, yes! that's exactly why they're on there and it's bloody criminal isn't it. I've done allsorts of jobs here and had no trouble getting jobs but it's probably because I'm willing to accept the shite wages and unsociable hours when I think about it. I now work for myself and am a lot happier.
Old Sep 7th 2016, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garethwm
Bo Jangles you need to get out more beyond the food hall at Albany Mall. We frequently dine at one of the many restaurants at the viaduct, or Ponsonby Rd, Devonport, and more usually around Botany and Howick. The food is first class and the customers are usually not Brit Expat snobs. Lol.
Ouch !!
Thats a bit harsh.

Apart from the Esplanade, there aren't really any restaurants in Devonport that rank over cafe standard.
The viaduct is better if you like things in batter or pasta.

I'm not a snob, but if I pay top dollar, I expect top food

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.