Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Nelson Mandela. RIP

Nelson Mandela. RIP

Old Dec 6th 2013, 8:13 am
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Nelson Mandela. RIP

Nelson Madela

I have been awaiting a thread and comment from someone , anyone , on his passing.

Seems we can do Flight of the Concords or whatever it is, but not this.

RIP Nelson Mandela.

Yours was a long and complicated move towards a sense of freedom for all.

you
Old Dec 6th 2013, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nelson Mandela. RIP

Indeed, RIP Mandela, cometh the hour cometh the man and he certainly did his bit at that time. However Gandhi achieved similar without violence, and I think F W de Klerk was the real unsung hero of the end of apartheid.
Old Dec 6th 2013, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

A freedom fighter now free from the confines of his physical life.

RIP Mandela, Kia Kaha South Africa.
Old Dec 6th 2013, 11:30 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
Nelson Madela

I have been awaiting a thread and comment from someone , anyone , on his passing.

Seems we can do Flight of the Concords or whatever it is, but not this.

RIP Nelson Mandela.

Yours was a long and complicated move towards a sense of freedom for all.

you
Lots of posts in the 'Lounge' Obit thread.

But I have to say he was a truly great man, and well deserved all the awards he got, especially the Nobel Peace prize.
Old Dec 6th 2013, 6:32 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Very sad news.

A truly great man, he will be sorely missed. RIP Madiba
Old Dec 6th 2013, 7:15 pm
Finally mesh free!

Vitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Woodlea View Post
Indeed, RIP Mandela, cometh the hour cometh the man and he certainly did his bit at that time. However Gandhi achieved similar without violence, and I think F W de Klerk was the real unsung hero of the end of apartheid.
Quite. The fact that he was also a terrorist seems to have been forgotten.
Old Dec 6th 2013, 8:58 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix View Post
Quite. The fact that he was also a terrorist seems to have been forgotten.
I felt the same. not really knowing much about his early life, really should go download a book, but thought he was cited for organising armed action and more.
But then I read a book that called Jesus a terrorist so looks like both made good in the end
Old Dec 6th 2013, 9:12 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan View Post
I felt the same. not really knowing much about his early life, really should go download a book, but thought he was cited for organising armed action and more.
But then I read a book that called Jesus a terrorist so looks like both made good in the end
Just watched a programme on the BBC about his like, and yes he organised 'terrorist' attacks, but they were confined to blowing up power pylons and attacking government and police buildings but attacking people wasn't part of the plan, however while he was in prison, young members of the ANC did escalate the action. This was mainly in response to the Soweto massacre, but there was tribal rivalry between the ANC and Incarta, however Mandela was on Robben Island at that time.
Old Dec 6th 2013, 10:10 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

ahh the little that I read said he was involved in planning armed action and a conspiracy to help other countries invade South Africa.
Old Dec 6th 2013, 11:01 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

An interesting interpretation by Mishal Husain:

http://www.dnaindia.com/analysis/col...andela-1869245

Mandela explained his thinking in his autobiography, Long Walk to Freedom, saying that ‘non violent passive resistance is effective as long as your opposition adheres to the same rules as you do… but if peaceful protest is met with violence, its efficacy is at an end. For me non violence was not a moral principle but a strategy’.
Having studied the history of apartheid in South Africa in school it seemed to me a long list of massacres:

http://www.sahistory.org.za/article/...massacres-1950

I dug out some other quotes:

I was called a terrorist yesterday, but when I came out of jail, many people embraced me, including my enemies, and that is what I normally tell other people who say those who are struggling for liberation in their country are terrorists.
I do not deny that I planned sabotage. I did not plan it in a spirit of recklessness nor because I have any love of violence. I planned it as a result of a calm and sober assessment of the political situation that had arisen after many years of tyranny, exploitation and oppression of my people by the whites.
And relevant today....

Where globalization means, as it so often does, that the rich and powerful now have new means to further enrich and empower themselves at the cost of the poorer and weaker, we have a responsibility to protest in the name of universal freedom.
For me, his greatest achievements happened after he left prison. Along with De Klerk, he deserved his Nobel Peace Prize.
Old Dec 7th 2013, 2:12 am
Finally mesh free!

Vitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan View Post
For me two wrongs don't make a right. But that is just my opinion. I can well understand the anger that black people must've felt under the abhorrent regime of apartheid. I'm so pleased that Nelson Mandela, went on to live the life he did after his release from prison.

Jesus is a moot point as there is no proof that he ever existed.
Old Dec 7th 2013, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

The world has lost a great man but on the plus side his family have kept him alive long enough
to put each and every one of them in the public eye ensuring they can milk this to line their
pockets for years to come....nice one !!