British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Nelson Fires (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/nelson-fires-921801/)

Catchafire Feb 6th 2019 5:59 am

Nelson Fires

Thoughts to all involved. I have friends near Appleby who have been evacuated.

Its at these type of times that NZ really pulls together. Many people in our community in Marlborough have gone over to assist.

When I am called to duty, God, whenever flames may rage, give me strength to save some life, whatever be its age. Help me embrace a little child before it is too late, or save an older person from the horror of that fate. Enable me to be alert and hear the weakest shout, and quickly, and efficiently to put the fire out. I want to fill my calling, and to give the best in me, to guard my every neighbor and protect his property. And if, according to my fate, I am to lose my life, please bless with your protecting hand my family, friends and wife.

Firemans prayer

BEVS Feb 8th 2019 1:42 am

Re: Nelson Fires

Originally Posted by Catchafire (Post 12633114)
Thoughts to all involved. I have friends near Appleby who have been evacuated.

Its at these type of times that NZ really pulls together. Many people in our community in Marlborough have gone over to assist.

When I am called to duty, God, whenever flames may rage, give me strength to save some life, whatever be its age. Help me embrace a little child before it is too late, or save an older person from the horror of that fate. Enable me to be alert and hear the weakest shout, and quickly, and efficiently to put the fire out. I want to fill my calling, and to give the best in me, to guard my every neighbor and protect his property. And if, according to my fate, I am to lose my life, please bless with your protecting hand my family, friends and wife.

Firemans prayer

I haven't seen MrBEVS since Wednesday midday. Not likely to see him either really until maybe Sunday evening. He's part of the Civil Defence team.

We can see the mega bush fire from the top of our road & the air here has been very smoky the past day or so & we are not in the line of the fire or the drift of the smoke. It is far far worse out on the plains.

Wakefield is being evacuated as I type. There is another fire outbreak at the back of Nelson City over by Founders.

The whole district is tinder dry as a bone and we have the gusty winds.

Very hard for many people , their families, their livelihoods, their pets and stock, their homes.

Mishclark Feb 8th 2019 9:32 am

Gosh I was just wondering today if you were OK Bev's! X

Pollyana Feb 8th 2019 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12633993)
I haven't seen MrBEVS since Wednesday midday. Not likely to see him either really until maybe Sunday evening. He's part of the Civil Defence team.

We can see the mega bush fire from the top of our road & the air here has been very smoky the past day or so & we are not in the line of the fire or the drift of the smoke. It is far far worse out on the plains.

Wakefield is being evacuated as I type. There is another fire outbreak at the back of Nelson City over by Founders.

The whole district is tinder dry as a bone and we have the gusty winds.

Very hard for many people , their families, their livelihoods, their pets and stock, their homes.

I was tracking the fire last night at work to see how close its getting to you. Watch the wind direction for ember attack, they can travel a fair distance

Hats off to Mr BEVS and other volunteers, all those guys and girls work so hard for little or no reward, often losing their own homes and properties too.

Stay safe both of you, and others in the area

BEVS Feb 9th 2019 3:50 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 12634167)
I was tracking the fire last night at work to see how close its getting to you. Watch the wind direction for ember attack, they can travel a fair distance

Hats off to Mr BEVS and other volunteers, all those guys and girls work so hard for little or no reward, often losing their own homes and properties too.

Stay safe both of you, and others in the area

You will remember the couple in Wakefield. We went out on his boat.
They are evacuated . Their place is walking distance to the river flats. Less than 2km

Pollyana Feb 9th 2019 4:56 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12634518)
You will remember the couple in Wakefield. We went out on his boat.
They are evacuated . Their place is walking distance to the river flats. Less than 2km

Oh yes, the trip up the lake, that was stunning!

The poor souls, I hope their place is spared, must be a nightmarish experience. I'll be thinking of them.

When I was in Hobart last month one of the staff in the hotel was telling me about her experiences - she was caught up in the horrific bushfire that nearly wiped out the town of Dunalley in 2013. She and her partner had to flee in a boat, lost everything and have had to start again with nothing. She said the worst bit is every so often even now she'll think "oh, I'll just get that......oh, I don't have it now do I"

scrubbedexpat142 Feb 10th 2019 3:19 pm

Sounds really bad now - all the best to all those affected.

BEVS Feb 10th 2019 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by Expatrick (Post 12635112)
Sounds really bad now - all the best to all those affected.

It has been bad. This morning the news is better and a corner may have been turned.
All fingers and toes crossed that the winds do not pick up again .

MrOldManBEVS :p slept all day yesterday. :ohmy: He's back with Civil Defence later this afternoon/evening/overnight.

scrubbedexpat142 Feb 11th 2019 7:53 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12635277)
It has been bad. This morning the news is better and a corner may have been turned.
All fingers and toes crossed that the winds do not pick up again .

MrOldManBEVS :p slept all day yesterday. :ohmy: He's back with Civil Defence later this afternoon/evening/overnight.

Mr Bevs deserves a medal!

MrsFychan Feb 12th 2019 3:27 am

Bevs - was wondering how his Civil Defence work affects his day to day work?

BEVS Feb 12th 2019 3:37 am

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 12635845)
Bevs - was wondering how his Civil Defence work affects his day to day work?

He hasn't been in until today. He had the OK to do the volunteer work which is not surprising given how bad it has been. Hoping they will 'donate' his time and pay him.

He would have now been doing half days and nights at civil defence and then working mornings or something like that but there is now enough trained personnel from other regions to take shifts.

BEVS Feb 14th 2019 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12635848)
He hasn't been in until today. He had the OK to do the volunteer work which is not surprising given how bad it has been. Hoping they will 'donate' his time and pay him.

He would have now been doing half days and nights at civil defence and then working mornings or something like that but there is now enough trained personnel from other regions to take shifts.

& they did. The company donated his time to date and have paid him. :thumbup:

He'll be out all over the weekend and maybe some of next week.
A 2nd team from Christchurch has come up to help with the load.