Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Nelson or BoP or Dunedin?

Nelson or BoP or Dunedin?

Old Jun 3rd 2011, 1:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

florabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nelson or BoP or Dunedin?

Nelson is my first choice based on the fact it's got everything we need there and the climate appears to be great. I think Dunedin looks good too and we will have a look there too. Secretly I have set my heart on the Nelson area (out of town) but don't want to get too excited in case hubby can't find work there. So I'm trying to be open minded
Old Jun 4th 2011, 3:16 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

Hello, we have been in NZ for just over 4.5 years now. We are now located in Dunedin formerly in Rangiora north of Christchurch. We first came to Dunedin about 6 months before we moved here. We were pleasantly surprised by the busy nature of the city. Rush hour in the evenng lasts about 20 minutes on the one way system starting just at 5pm with all the university staff getting out of work, of which I am one. However, I can ride my bike to work in about the same amount of time as it takes to drive.

I don't find any NZ cities, that I have yet been to, that can be fittingly described as pretty or beautiful. Of course, that can be said about many places. I wouldn't say Dunedin is pretty or beautiful, but it does have some very nice physical attributes. The harbour can be seen from many homes but to have a close up view comes with a price tag of course. Maori Hill has many nice older homes, but I don't find the views as nice as out at Waverly.

It is very easy to walk along beaches here, they are locateed all along the peninsula and down to the south of the city. Actually to the north too are some nice spots. I live currently about a 10 minute drive from a beach I like to go to. There is a seal colony there which can be very entertaining to watch. I have also watched yellow eyed penguins come out of the water a few times. You can sit up in a blind if you prefer to watch all the action. We overlook an inlet and get a seal in the park from time to time. We drove out to Allan's beach and as we were driving next to an inlet (Hoopers I think) one of the girls called out that there were seals swiming next to the car. We stopped and watched them and they watched us. It was quite nice.

For the out doorsy person there are lots of good road biking and mountain biking routes and lots of tramping opportunities.

The weather is not as scary here as people make out. Yes, we are right on the ocean and there are hills so that can create some cloud. However, I would not say that we are missing the sunshine. I don't know what sort of hours we get here compared to other places, but it I expect that there are not extreme differences. Temperature wise, the summer is not as hot, though the sun is, the air is cool because of the ocean. I think that must be why we can keep the windows open here and hardly get a fly in the house compared to Rangiora and Christchurch were we found we woudl be quickly out numbered several times over.

What appeals to us at the present is the quality of the schools. We are very happy with the schools here and Dunedin is blessed with good schools to choose from. Our kids have excelled. The university is also not bad and offers everything but engineering and architecture. Well, there will be other things too but if you want humanities, health sciences, sciences or commerce, they are all offered.

Housing we find is over priced compared to the amenities on offer when compared to other places we are familiar with.

We do have lots of opportunities to participate in the Arts here too. Dunedin punches above its weight I think in many areas.

Dunedin again is not perfect but it is a nice spot and offers lots to its residence. It meets our needs as a family and provides lots beyond those needs. I don't know what the future holds, but we will certainly be here for the next 10 years as the kids finish their way through school and high school and then we will see what comes next. If they stay and go to university here, I suppose we will be here for much longer.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.emigratenz.org/NewZealandSunshine.html

Difference between Nelson and Dunedin is significant according to the figures.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 5:40 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

Oh, that is quite a differnce in sunshine hours isn't ! On reflection we have noted in conversation that it does seem to rain more here. I suppose there is a trade off as it is a nice green place to be here all year round. I wouldn't say we are pastey white either. I wonder if they do a seasonal breakdown.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nelson,...ealand#Suburbs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunedin#Climate

Great write up CAN2NZ, but I disagree with you on one point....Dunedin is a beautiful city, but then I am biased as it is my home city!!!
Old Jun 4th 2011, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes, it is not totally ugly or close to it. In another 25 years I think it will even improve with the university master plan and with port plans. For me, i enjoy the natural surroundings and find them very accessible and pleasant.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 6:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

florabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you CAN2NZ. That is such useful info. Have to say that the wildlife is a big attraction. OK the weather is not as good as Nelson but hey, we are moving from the NE of Scotland so I don't imagine we will perish! There are currently more jobs advertised in Dunedin for my hubby than in Nelson, that is a big factor. I guess we will see what jobs are on offer when we get there and in the meantime, thanks very much for taking the time to reply