British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Nelson!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/nelson-748878/)

kiwiwoodpecker Feb 18th 2012 5:53 am

Nelson!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi people,
We are looking at making a possible move from kapiti to Nelson,so we would really appriciate the low down on living in Nelson from a local. If anyone can help could they let us know and we will pm you.:unsure:

Harlow Feb 18th 2012 7:35 am

Re: Nelson!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi, I've lived in Nelson for five years, I'll try and answer any questions as best I can if I can be of help.

BEVS Feb 19th 2012 1:08 am

What would you like to know? Been in the area for 8 years.

BEVS Feb 19th 2012 8:40 pm

I think it would be helpful perhaps if we were to post about the area from our point of view on this thread and the open forum rather than by PM. After all, what is there to be private about & that way those looking in also get any info , help & tips .

What would you like to hear about Kiwiwoodpecker. Here is a bit of a precis to get the thread started.

As I expect you know, the Nelson and Bays area has great weather for New Zealand. A bit like the Mediterranean in many ways. You'll see snow on the Ranges in winter but you won't normally experience snow on the ground. This summer has been rubbish but summers here are hot dry sunny days. October and April seem to be when the rains come .

This is the area where folk come to holiday. So , it can be quietish in winter but busy during the summer months. Nelson itself is a bijou little city. It;s got a little bit of everything you;d want from a town/city. It's possible to buy a property within walking distance of the city.

Richmond is where many families settle though. It's close to where the swimming pool is and outdoor sports fields of Saxton fields + an indoor sports centre in Richmond Families feel Richmond has more 'amenities'. Many chose to live there so they are less tied to being taxi drivers for their kids.

There is little in the way of public transport in this region. There is a usable regular bus service between Richmond and Nelson .

No rail links.

We have an airport. No international flights from it & internals are limited as to where you can go direct. This bumps the flight prices up and makes it quite prohibitive to fly anywhere.

I feel that this area can be quite isolating but that is a personal opinion & is also based on $$. It's hard to get anywhere different that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

This area is known for it's sunshine dollars. Cost of living/house prices can be high here and wages low by other city standards.

Families here tend to be of the 'outdoors' variety from what we have seen the past 8 years. Those that have other types of interests tend to find it a bit boring. A bit samey. There is good cycling, mountain biking. Shorelines for water sports, swimming etc. Many families flock to Rabbit island of a weekend to have family time . Weekends away would be over to Golden Bay or down to the Marlborough Sounds. In the winter there is a ski field Rainbow just a couple of hours away.

There are some bars and clubs in Nelson City where the young people congregate of a weekend. Nelson has a cinema . Richmond doesn't as of yet.

Richmond - Nelson is around a 15 minute drive.

Much of the area away from Nelson and Richmond is semi-rural.

Ummm.... what else?

kiwiwoodpecker Feb 20th 2012 6:02 am

thanks for that bev it gives us some more to think about!:D

nelsonpom Feb 20th 2012 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by kiwiwoodpecker (Post 9910834)
thanks for that bev it gives us some more to think about!:D

We have been here for about 5 years after a year in Wellington (+brief 6 months in Auckland) and would have to say winters are pretty hard, as isolation really does set in. We have found it harder since we have had our daughter as you really do feel a long way from anywhere. I do love Nelson but still not sure if we will be here for ever ! Bevs covered most points but if you have any specific questions feel free to ask :D