nelson

Old Apr 9th 2007, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

angpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud of
Default nelson

is there anybody living or have lived in nelson who could advise me on areas to live with good schools and nice safe enviroment for kids to play ourside and make friends..
thanks
angie
Old Apr 9th 2007, 9:41 am
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: nelson

Originally Posted by angpaul
is there anybody living or have lived in nelson who could advise me on areas to live with good schools and nice safe enviroment for kids to play ourside and make friends..
thanks
angie
Only one I know of is Paladin,not living there,but had a great time,really liked it and almost certainly will have some excellent advice on the area. PM him!
Old Apr 9th 2007, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

Suicide Sheep is a name known to allSuicide Sheep is a name known to allSuicide Sheep is a name known to allSuicide Sheep is a name known to allSuicide Sheep is a name known to allSuicide Sheep is a name known to allSuicide Sheep is a name known to allSuicide Sheep is a name known to allSuicide Sheep is a name known to allSuicide Sheep is a name known to allSuicide Sheep is a name known to all

Hi angpaul
Nelson is the area we are looking at, We have some friends there "Garrisondamn". I will give them a prod to see if they have any useful info for you.

Meanwhile try these.
http://www.nelsoninformation.net.nz
http://www.nelsoncitycouncil.co.nz

Good luck with info search
Old Apr 9th 2007, 11:36 am
Just Joined

vixen1974 will become famous soon enough

Hi there,
My husband and I are moving to Nelson area in June - we are aiming for Tahunanui but we dont have any children, however I heard from my sister who also lives in Nelson that the schools there were not very good - Sister has a 6 year old at school in Annesbrook - she says it is a good progressive school.

When are you heading there?

Wow - this is my first post on here after a year of reading forums gathering information.
Vicki
Old Apr 9th 2007, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

angpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by vixen1974
Hi there,
My husband and I are moving to Nelson area in June - we are aiming for Tahunanui but we dont have any children, however I heard from my sister who also lives in Nelson that the schools there were not very good - Sister has a 6 year old at school in Annesbrook - she says it is a good progressive school.

When are you heading there?

Wow - this is my first post on here after a year of reading forums gathering information.
Vicki
We are still in the early stages.My husband has got job offer(eventually).Now waiting for police clearance certificate from South Africa.still have to do medicals,police checks(UK) and house to sell.Hopefully 6 months
Old Apr 10th 2007, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

Suicide Sheep is a name known to allSuicide Sheep is a name known to allSuicide Sheep is a name known to allSuicide Sheep is a name known to allSuicide Sheep is a name known to allSuicide Sheep is a name known to allSuicide Sheep is a name known to allSuicide Sheep is a name known to allSuicide Sheep is a name known to allSuicide Sheep is a name known to allSuicide Sheep is a name known to all

As I said I would, have contacted garrisondamn. He says PM him with any questions you have, if he does not know he'll ask his mates in Nelson.

Hope that is of some help
Old Apr 10th 2007, 8:47 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hi there. We live just outside of Nelson in a village called Mapua. I'll make a bit of a post for you later.
We were, sadly, not blessed with children but I'll try and give you a bit of a low-down on schools gleaned from our friends that do have them.
We have been here for three years come June.
Old Apr 11th 2007, 12:03 am
Just Joined

Harlow is just really niceHarlow is just really niceHarlow is just really niceHarlow is just really niceHarlow is just really niceHarlow is just really niceHarlow is just really niceHarlow is just really niceHarlow is just really nice

Hi,
We have been living in the Tahunanui beach area since taking over the lease on a small motel back in December. Can't really offer too much advice, because we have been busy up until this stage at least with our noses to the grindstone, running the business through the busy period, which is finally set to slow down about now.
We have two boys, a four year old and a six year old, both have settled in very well, and we are very pleased with the local kindergarten and school. There is a heavy emphasis on outdoor activities, and sports of all description are very much to the fore, both our kids are signed up for soccer which starts soon, the eldest has just finished his first season playing "Kiwi" cricket for the school team. I have been very impressed with the amount of parents that get actively involved.
Of course where you live is dependant on how much cash you bring over, if you can afford it Tahuna hills have some excellent properties, but we have noticed that recently they are selling as soon as they come on the market. Even though Nelson is surrounded by land, plenty of local properties are sub divided to the point that they have virtually no garden, but there are plenty of parks around to use, along with a BMX track, the beach etc
I don't know much about properties in Nelson City itself, but many of the people I meet - usually related to kids activities - seem to live in the Stoke/Richmond area, which are more of a suburban style.
We have found people to be really friendly, and have been amazed at how many Brits and other Europeans/Americans in particular have moved to the area - which has caused a fair amount of local debate about how this has pushed up house prices. However the good side is, that you will find plenty of people who know what you are going through in regards to immigration. But don't be surprised when you call a plumber, electrician or someone to fix your computer, and find out that they went to school with your sister!!
If I can help in any way, I'd be glad to.
Regards,
Dave
(www.driftwoodmotel.co.nz)
Old Apr 15th 2007, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BEVS here
Hi there. We live just outside of Nelson in a village called Mapua. I'll make a bit of a post for you later.
We were, sadly, not blessed with children but I'll try and give you a bit of a low-down on schools gleaned from our friends that do have them.
We have been here for three years come June.
hi bevs.thanks for replying.any advice on nelson will be appreciated aswell as the lw down schools.after checking the net house prices in nelson seem to be out of our league.motueka and mapua seem cheaper please advice.my oh willbe working in richmond.is thisf easable to travel to.
thanks
ang
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 8:26 am
Just Joined

Harlow is just really niceHarlow is just really niceHarlow is just really niceHarlow is just really niceHarlow is just really niceHarlow is just really niceHarlow is just really niceHarlow is just really niceHarlow is just really nice

Reported in "The Nelson Mail" today -

"Nelson has the highest proportion of residents born in the UK and Ireland of any area in NZ.
Census figures released by statistics NZ this week showed that 3774 people born in the UK and Ireland lived in the Nelson City Council area and made up 9.1% of its population.
There was also a 35% jump in the number of people born in the UK and Ireland living in the Tasman district with the figure now up from 2469 to 3333.
....(Overall) there were 202,401 people born in England living in New Zealand"

Can the last one to leave the UK turn the lights off
Old Apr 27th 2007, 12:21 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I'm quite surprised at the statistic Harlow , as I would have thought many more end up around the cities ,Welly or Xchurch for example rather than Nelson and Bays simply because of available work and affordable housing. Nelson has sunshine dollars after all & very low unemployment.
Having said that, we have noticed what seems to be a sudden swell in migrants to the area in the last six months.

AngPaul

Richmond is about a ten minute drive from Nelson Central [ depending on traffic and rush hour] & is the place to be if you are a family. It has a good high street and a large indoor mall. Everything you need is there in Richmond. supermarkets, shops, swimming pool etc Schools are close by. For many families, Richmond is the place to be. It's where they live.

Richmond isn't far away from Nelson. You get Nelson then straight into the suburb of Stoke and onto Richmond without a discernable break.

Mapua village is further away, with a good 15/20 minute drive away from Richmond. Lovely drive into Richmond past local countryside. My husband does it most days.

Motueka is the next town on . It would be a bit of a hike every day if you worked in Richmond.

Houses in Richmond are all shapes and sizes and all price ranges. Richmond is a huge suburb type area.

Houses aren't cheaper in Mapua.
Motueka is cheaper but then you have to consider schools. Its further way from Nelson Central of course.
Nelson City sounds large but its a tiny little city . THere are some lovely areas to live.

Wakefield is a little further out of the conurbation. Many families choose to live there. Its seen as a bit of an up and coming place. Friends of ours bought a section and built there.
Atawhai, the other direction out of Nelson City , is also growing with many new sections opening up.

Odds are you will start to look at houses around Richmond first. You would certainly want your first rental to be there .

when are you arriving ?