Nelson

Old Dec 15th 2006, 6:07 pm
Leeds to Nelson

Heal is just really niceHeal is just really niceHeal is just really niceHeal is just really niceHeal is just really niceHeal is just really niceHeal is just really niceHeal is just really niceHeal is just really niceHeal is just really niceHeal is just really nice
Smile Nelson

We are hoping to come to New Zealand in October 2007, we would appreciate any information about Nelson and the surrounding area ie good points and bad points.
Also does anybody have any info on how construction sites differ in any way to british ones, I'm a carpenter/joiner is it worth bringing UK 110 power tools with me or is it better buying new in New Zealand.
Thanks
Old Dec 15th 2006, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

Harlow is just really niceHarlow is just really niceHarlow is just really niceHarlow is just really niceHarlow is just really niceHarlow is just really niceHarlow is just really niceHarlow is just really niceHarlow is just really nice
Default Re: Nelson

Originally Posted by Heal
We are hoping to come to New Zealand in October 2007, we would appreciate any information about Nelson and the surrounding area ie good points and bad points.
Also does anybody have any info on how construction sites differ in any way to british ones, I'm a carpenter/joiner is it worth bringing UK 110 power tools with me or is it better buying new in New Zealand.
Thanks
We have been in Nelson now for about six weeks, and yesterday took over the lease on a small motel near Tahuna beach, having spent several weeks travelling all around the country. We decided on settling in the Nelson area because we think the area has the most to offer - highest (or there abouts) sunshine hours in the country, low crime, fantastic supply of sports and outdoor activities - basically a great place to bring up kids, we have two, a 4 and 6 year old
The general area has a high concentration of artists and alternative lifestyle therapies etc especially once you get out into the countryside, and has a real layed back feel.
It is early days for us, but I can't really think of any real bad points from our point of view anyway. Some people may not like the fact that it is a bit cut off - a trip to Christchurch or Wellington is needed if you require a major shopping trip, sports event or concert. The house prices tend to be higher than other places due to a big local property boom a few years ago, but the market has been relatively flat in recent times, so other areas have been catching up.
Nelson has a large number of immigrants, most of whom seem to be Brits, Germans, Americans etc who have settled here because of the sunshine and lifestyle.
Can't offer much advice on construction, but I'm sure someone else will be able to post details, if not I could find out for you. However one thing that is for sure is that there is a lot of construction going on around here.
Bottom line is that we have chosen to settle in Nelson ourselves, and feel confident that we have made the right decision.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

cottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to all
Default Re: Nelson

Originally Posted by Harlow
We have been in Nelson now for about six weeks, and yesterday took over the lease on a small motel near Tahuna beach, having spent several weeks travelling all around the country. We decided on settling in the Nelson area because we think the area has the most to offer - highest (or there abouts) sunshine hours in the country, low crime, fantastic supply of sports and outdoor activities - basically a great place to bring up kids, we have two, a 4 and 6 year old
The general area has a high concentration of artists and alternative lifestyle therapies etc especially once you get out into the countryside, and has a real layed back feel.
It is early days for us, but I can't really think of any real bad points from our point of view anyway. Some people may not like the fact that it is a bit cut off - a trip to Christchurch or Wellington is needed if you require a major shopping trip, sports event or concert. The house prices tend to be higher than other places due to a big local property boom a few years ago, but the market has been relatively flat in recent times, so other areas have been catching up.
Nelson has a large number of immigrants, most of whom seem to be Brits, Germans, Americans etc who have settled here because of the sunshine and lifestyle.
Can't offer much advice on construction, but I'm sure someone else will be able to post details, if not I could find out for you. However one thing that is for sure is that there is a lot of construction going on around here.
Bottom line is that we have chosen to settle in Nelson ourselves, and feel confident that we have made the right decision.
Only other negative I can think of is air pollution in winter from wood/coal fires - Christchurch has the same problem - there have been mutterings about trying to solve the problem but don't have any up-to-date information. Local Green Party would be good source of honest reply!