Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Neither here nor there

Neither here nor there

Old May 23rd 2021, 10:14 pm
Just Joined

Neitherherenorthere is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Neither here nor there

Yes, we do a lot of travelling and exploring around NZ - our jobs allow a lot of flexibility so we take school holidays out to explore, and usually manage to do fun outdoorsy things at the weekend. I do think its a very lovely country, and we have had fun here, but the underlying feeling of missing 'home' is still there for me. Although I do wonder how much it would still feel like home after the events of the last few years. When lockdown is over we'll go back for a holiday, perhaps that will shift it!
Old Jun 5th 2021, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Neither here nor there

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Those who moved to NZ and really liked it there will rarely settle when they go back to UK. If you enjoyed less crowded places and were well off financially the family pull has to be very strong. 13 years ago was still a good time to go and housing was more or less still affordable in NZ but those who moved in recent years and don't have big savings often struggle, be it NZ, Canada, Australia etc.. Obviously it's also down to location, so no idea which part of the UK you are. We left the UK 10 years ago now and NZ was on the list but for me personally just too far away to settle. We wanted to stay in Europe and Ireland was the only real option and just glad we moved back then. I agree that England can be rough in parts and since we live in the West of Ireland, cities like Birmingham can be a shock. Although beautiful I have no desire to travel as far as NZ these days. We usually drive to Catalonia but I think I'll try and explore more of Galica in the future. So close but most Brits avoid that part of Spain and feels like NZ when on the beach there.
A couple of years ago we traveled to Santander then around Aquitaine and then onto San Sebastian (one of my fav cities) it was a fab holiday. I do agree some.parts if most countries I have visited have had rough areas me.myself have been lucky enough to have lived in "nice areas" for most if my life so my opinions differ from say someone who has come from a bad area...but I would not let that taint my view about countries otherwise I would never travel