Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Negotiating cost of shipping?

Negotiating cost of shipping?

Old Jan 7th 2007, 9:34 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Negotiating cost of shipping?

Now that it's all systems go, apparently my next job is to get on to the shippers and pet carriers and try to negotiate the price down? (Quite why it's MY job I've no idea?!)

What angle have you lovely people used to get the price down? If I offer to pack my own "Fairy Dust and Doilies" would that do it?

Help!! Have to make calls tomorrow!
Old Jan 7th 2007, 9:36 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Negotiating cost of shipping?

Hello fairy!!

Have you compared your quotes like for like? Sometimes you'll find a bargaining tool in there. if not what about your "womanly charms"?

Who you gonna go with?
Old Jan 7th 2007, 9:38 pm
Actually just Adie

Jac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Am Loolah View Post
Now that it's all systems go, apparently my next job is to get on to the shippers and pet carriers and try to negotiate the price down? (Quite why it's MY job I've no idea?!)

What angle have you lovely people used to get the price down? If I offer to pack my own "Fairy Dust and Doilies" would that do it?

Help!! Have to make calls tomorrow!
oh fairy one,

I wish I had good news for you, Jac rang our shippers last week to add a few items to the list and to check a few things, and to try and get cost down, They put the price UP We now looking at a 40 foot box.:scared:

Adie
Old Jan 7th 2007, 9:40 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

You found another floor to your house or something similar?

Either that or my shoes under your bed!!

That's soooo bad
Old Jan 7th 2007, 9:40 pm

Not really done like for like comparisons - will get it all out in the morn and have a thorough read through - then drink more coffee have a fag and still be none the wiser!!!

We've used them before for domestic moves and recommended them to mother's ex so maybe I can try to discount commission?!

Probably going with Britannia Lanes as they are local to us and the biggest International Shipper from the whole of the SouthWest. Hope to use Airpets for the dogs as they seem to know their stuff.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 9:42 pm

Hi Adie, that sounds bad luck. We were already into a 40 foot one which isn't suprising with the amount of rubbish we have!!! Frightening amounts of money isn't it?!
Old Jan 7th 2007, 9:44 pm
Actually just Adie

Jac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by kev&sarah View Post
You found another floor to your house or something similar?

Either that or my shoes under your bed!!

That's soooo bad
Not quite like that, but Adie did manage to forget half the house!!!! ie tumble dryer, coffee table, kitchen table and chairs the list goes on.

B****y men.

Jac
Old Jan 7th 2007, 9:46 pm
Actually just Adie

Originally Posted by Am Loolah View Post
Hi Adie, that sounds bad luck. We were already into a 40 foot one which isn't suprising with the amount of rubbish we have!!! Frightening amounts of money isn't it?!
Nooooooooooooooo, can't be toooo expensive, we've not had the second quote thro. yet.

Adie
Old Jan 7th 2007, 9:46 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

Can't we fill a container with useless men?!!! And see where it ends up
Old Jan 7th 2007, 9:47 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

Caroline

Have you booked your flights yet?
Old Jan 7th 2007, 9:49 pm

Knowing my luck ... wherever I end up!!!!
Old Jan 7th 2007, 9:51 pm

Caroline

Have you booked your flights yet?
Not allowed to until I'VE co-ordinated shippers, dogs, the weather, the total eclipse etc, etc, etc. Which is why I'm getting onto it first thing in the morning!! Miserable old git thinks he can delay so he can spend more time on the Playstation blowing up imaginary tanks and less time decorating the house! I shall not be duped - he did that when we first got together - ouch!!!!
Old Jan 7th 2007, 9:52 pm
Actually just Adie

I doubt if they do containers big enough!!!

Jac
Old Jan 7th 2007, 9:53 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

Cut the bl**dy plug off it!!! Or sell it on Ebay!!!

We both know that when they're stroppy, they work so much more efficiently.

Should do the trick nicely :scared:
Old Jan 7th 2007, 9:54 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jac&Adie View Post
I doubt if they do containers big enough!!!

Jac

Could you imagine the smell when they opened it :scared: All those smelly ar**s in one place.

Think I'm feeling queazy!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.