Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The negative New Zealand thread

The negative New Zealand thread

Old Oct 28th 2006, 9:43 am
  #91  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,585
mazi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The negative New Zealand thread

Originally Posted by mumomonty
Again, I applaud you Mazi. You know the Warehouse? Well we call it the Church of New Zealand.
Damn I wish I'd met you when I was there!
mazi is offline  
Old Oct 28th 2006, 9:52 am
  #92  
Member of Mumo-land
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: DownUnder
Posts: 771
mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: The negative New Zealand thread

Originally Posted by mazi
Damn I wish I'd met you when I was there!
Ciao (probably only italian I know apart from pizza) oh and andiamo
mumomonty is offline  
Old Oct 28th 2006, 9:55 am
  #93  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,585
mazi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The negative New Zealand thread

Originally Posted by mumomonty
Ciao (probably only italian I know apart from pizza) oh and andiamo
Come now, surely you know 'pasta' too??!!
mazi is offline  
Old Oct 28th 2006, 10:28 am
  #94  
sky
Banned
 
sky's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,467
sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The negative New Zealand thread

You can't buy diet Dandelion and Burdock here
sky is offline  
Old Oct 28th 2006, 10:39 am
  #95  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,585
mazi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The negative New Zealand thread

Number 8 wire mentality

The continuous arguments about whether Russell Crowe is an NZer or an Ocker; he's a prat, why do you want to claim him?

Pot Luck dinners - lots of mish-mashes of food, bleurgh. "I'll have the prawns with the cabbage mash thanks - oh and maybe a bit of pasta with some fake mozzarella thrown on top".
mazi is offline  
Old Oct 28th 2006, 11:07 am
  #96  
A land far far away
 
pixi-dust's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Northland
Posts: 1,288
pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The negative New Zealand thread

I've said it before and I will probably never stop

the blooming sandflies
pixi-dust is offline  
Old Oct 28th 2006, 11:11 am
  #97  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,585
mazi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The negative New Zealand thread

Originally Posted by pixi-dust
I've said it before and I will probably never stop

the blooming sandflies
ditto
mazi is offline  
Old Oct 28th 2006, 11:18 am
  #98  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 175
SecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud of
Default Re: The negative New Zealand thread

- the car culture
- sooped up jananese imports with tin can size exhausts (mufflers :-O)
- the fact that a 15 year old can drive to school in a v8 powered car, talking away on a mobile phone without any insurace and not be breaking a single law
- bad haircuts
- really bad shirts
- the sausages - i wouldnt feed them to a dog let alone a human
- supermarkets stocked with leftovers
- the fact that every bulb of garlic i EVER bought in the country was at least 50% rotten
- for a nation that is supposedly (statistically) the most travelled in the world they are exceptionally un-worldly and igorant of any food not to be found at their own doorstep
- the beer, although there are a couple of exceptions to that :-D
- the endless prattling on about any film with a peter jackson connection at the expense of all other news
- the dire tv, flooded with dire advertisements normally for shops run by overweight menopausal women selling last decades high street fashions
- the open racism towards asians
- the scary drivers
- the flood of aussie/kiwi varietal wines with a total lack of choice for anything else
- the americanisation of the place - grids, malls, suburbs .... town centres with the soul ripped out of them
- the overall greyness of the place
- the strange misconception that the weather in new zealand is somehow better than in the UK its not better, its just different
- the fact that people seem to think all you have to do is add some random fruit to a pizza or a burger (apricots on a pizza for heavens sake??) and that gives you a license to call it "gourmet"
- the use of the word kiwi as a superlative to almost everything with local connection - talk about self obsessed
- "Tasty" cheese - there is an breach of advertising law case in there somewhere i am sure

.... im sure i will think of more....
SecretSquirrel is offline  
Old Oct 28th 2006, 11:21 am
  #99  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,585
mazi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The negative New Zealand thread

Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel
- the car culture
- sooped up jananese imports with tin can size exhausts (mufflers :-O)
- the fact that a 15 year old can drive to school in a v8 powered car, talking away on a mobile phone without any insurace and not be breaking a single law
- bad haircuts
- really bad shirts
- the sausages - i wouldnt feed them to a dog let alone a human
- supermarkets stocked with leftovers
- the fact that every bulb of garlic i EVER bought in the country was at least 50% rotten
- for a nation that is supposedly (statistically) the most travelled in the world they are exceptionally un-worldly and igorant of any food not to be found at their own doorstep
- the beer, although there are a couple of exceptions to that :-D
- the endless prattling on about any film with a peter jackson connection at the expense of all other news
- the dire tv, flooded with dire advertisements normally for shops run by overweight menopausal women selling last decades high street fashions
- the open racism towards asians
- the scary drivers
- the flood of aussie/kiwi varietal wines with a total lack of choice for anything else
- the americanisation of the place - grids, malls, suburbs .... town centres with the soul ripped out of them
- the overall greyness of the place
- the strange misconception that the weather in new zealand is somehow better than in the UK its not better, its just different
- the fact that people seem to think all you have to do is add some random fruit to a pizza or a burger (apricots on a pizza for heavens sake??) and that gives you a license to call it "gourmet"
- the use of the word kiwi as a superlative to almost everything with local connection - talk about self obsessed
- "Tasty" cheese - there is an breach of advertising law case in there somewhere i am sure

.... im sure i will think of more....
I love you! Are you male or female? Who cares, I love you anyway!

Arohanui!
mazi is offline  
Old Oct 28th 2006, 11:23 am
  #100  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 175
SecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud of
Default Re: The negative New Zealand thread

Originally Posted by mazi
I love you! Are you male or female? Who cares, I love you anyway!

Arohanui!
i could tell you but i would have to kill you - by force feeding you with the other thing i was about to add to the list....

KIWI DIP :scared:
SecretSquirrel is offline  
Old Oct 28th 2006, 11:27 am
  #101  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,585
mazi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The negative New Zealand thread

I know I mentioned supermarkets as a whole before but:

Pak n' Save (sic re. the n' - yes, clearly there should be an apostrophe before the n too). I can forgive the jaunty spelling of Pak - just
mazi is offline  
Old Oct 28th 2006, 11:29 am
  #102  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 175
SecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud of
Default Re: The negative New Zealand thread

the fact that despite how kiwis bang on about how crap our fish and chips are compared to theirs - whenever you go to a chippy;
(a) the place stinks of dogburgers and beetroot
(b) they full out a piece of fish with the batter already cooked already on it and stick it in the fryer

... and they still thinks its superior!!
SecretSquirrel is offline  
Old Oct 28th 2006, 11:49 am
  #103  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,585
mazi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The negative New Zealand thread

Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel
the fact that despite how kiwis bang on about how crap our fish and chips are compared to theirs - whenever you go to a chippy;
(a) the place stinks of dogburgers and beetroot
(b) they full out a piece of fish with the batter already cooked already on it and stick it in the fryer

... and they still thinks its superior!!
And what the hell do they cook the chips in? I am not being dramatic when I say I almost vomited the first time I tried them. I tried them several times after too, from different dogburger-beetroot shops and they were always the same. I did stop eating them in answer to those of you who may be about to ask me why I continued in vain to stomach the things. And what kind of devil's stomach lining is that fish terakihi?

like the snapper though - I'll get me to the positive things thread right away!
mazi is offline  
Old Oct 28th 2006, 12:14 pm
  #104  
By name and by nature
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,852
Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The negative New Zealand thread

Originally Posted by pixi-dust
I've said it before and I will probably never stop

the blooming sandflies
Remember how I was last year? WELL. DH has been bitten twice already (PawPaw thanks ) but I've had NONE. I really don't mean to be cruel but I'm hoping to hell that they've switched allegiance
Batty is offline  
Old Oct 28th 2006, 12:23 pm
  #105  
A land far far away
 
pixi-dust's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Northland
Posts: 1,288
pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The negative New Zealand thread

Originally Posted by Batty
Remember how I was last year? WELL. DH has been bitten twice already (PawPaw thanks ) but I've had NONE. I really don't mean to be cruel but I'm hoping to hell that they've switched allegiance
only twice! Lucky him - I have about 15 already - but not reacting quite so badly. oh, so thats a positive!
pixi-dust is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.