Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The negative New Zealand thread

The negative New Zealand thread

Old Oct 27th 2006, 11:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The negative New Zealand thread

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
You could have started this thread BEFORE we forked out for a ticket for interviews next week!!! JOKE before you lot start PMs with offers to buy!!
Shall we start a joke thread? How do you tell a plane load of Brits has landed at Auckland? The whining continues after the engines are off.
Old Oct 27th 2006, 11:33 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
Shall we start a joke thread? How do you tell a plane load of Brits has landed at Auckland? The whining continues after the engines are off.

The old ones are the best!!!
Old Oct 27th 2006, 11:34 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Groan
Old Oct 27th 2006, 11:36 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
The old ones are the best!!!

I for one am not whining today!!! Had a consignment of pineapple lumps today at least.

Mates being in Palmy for the week and bought back supplies, Kev's over next for two weeks. I'm gonna be like a pig in *****;( pig being the word!!)
Old Oct 27th 2006, 11:39 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

And Im feeling pretty good with the world after buying a bargain piece of furniture from one of the garage sales this morning.
I took my camera but forgot to take photos for you all.
Old Oct 27th 2006, 11:44 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sky
And Im feeling pretty good with the world after buying a bargain piece of furniture from one of the garage sales this morning.
I took my camera but forgot to take photos for you all.
Isn't it good having that warm fuzzy feeling?!!!!

(Keep it to yourself Dom/ Genesis!!!)
Old Oct 27th 2006, 11:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mazi
Yes, I wish someone had warned me before i went (actually I think the boyfriend did suggest I may not find it a bed of roses, but of course I didn't listen) - but saying that, it is only an opinion and everyone is different and wants different things out of life. I have mentioned some good points on the 'positive things...' thread - at least 5!
I want to hear all the bad stuff. Pineapple chunks? Bad sausages. No worries for me. But the isolationism, sure. An issue. What other stuff? How is the broadband Internet coverage?

K.
Old Oct 28th 2006, 1:38 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=kt0157]I want to hear all the bad stuff. Pineapple chunks? Bad sausages. No worries for me. But the isolationism, sure. An issue. What other stuff? How is the broadband Internet coverage?

Haven't noticed isolation, been too busy so far. My main whine is the way I keep losing the internet connection. Don't know if it is the laptop or what but it is driving me mad.

Also gripe about the way there seems to be an extra charge for everything, starting with the migrant levy before they even let you in. Start-up charge for this, that and the next thing. And of course, when you first get here, you need to start up everything, don't you?!! Even an ititial charge for the first cheque you use.....even though its your money and you will be paying bank charges...
Old Oct 28th 2006, 1:57 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

The supermarkets
The Warehouse - what the *&%£?
The lack of anything to do that isn't related to sport in some way
The high cost of living

The lack of vowels or anything that approaches proper speech
The lack of news in the 'newspapers' and on the 'news' - when Beslan happened it was on page 4 of the World section. The front page talked about a car crash ouside old man Van Dyke's farm. I asked an Nzer about this and he replied "well it's got nothing to do with us, why should we care?"
The (lack of) quality of the television programmes
The crappy wooden sheds they call houses - when i was young and our family fell on hard times I lived on a council estate in Blighty and i kid you not our garden shed looked like one of those weatherboard things
The length of time it takes to get anyway - including out of the damn country
The absolute lack of customer service, anywhere
The greyness of the 'towns'
The apalling school system (according to my friends with kids)Leaking houses
Short summers that sometimes are not summers at all (yes I know the Uk is a bit crap on that front, but at least we know that and admit it - Nzers constantly tell you how wonderful their weather is - then go on (on the 'news') about the 100 year floods they have EVERY year in the summer..and the winter...and the Autumn)
The cheese - where the similarity to cheese begins and ends i don't know
The rags they call clothes
gum boots - they're wellies!

I could go on (and will later, sorry!) but I have to go to Italian lessons now
Aus or NZ??
Old Oct 28th 2006, 7:20 am
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

Mazi it was a joke.
hence you making me laugh...
Old Oct 28th 2006, 7:24 am
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Aus or NZ??
Good point, but NZ - the roads are better in Oz, especially that yellow brick one
Old Oct 28th 2006, 9:11 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

It feels 'behind' the rest of the world;
It feels like a poor cousin of Australia;
It is colder than it is warm;
It does not have a 'buzz'.
Property is expensive relative to earnings;
Old Oct 28th 2006, 9:20 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Oh at last - a place I can vent about NZ without having a dagger put in my back. Where shall i begin...?
The RACISM - yes i know the Maori use this to their advantage at times, but wouldn't you if a pack of colonials came and duped you into giving up your land? and don't even get me started on that piece of paper called the Treaty of Waitangi that was wrongly translated. It's not just the racism against the maori but the assumption that all Asian drivers are bad drivers - sod off, NZers are the worst drivers I have ever come across (and I live in Italy now). Also the xenophobia - "oh you're English, I hate you then". When England won the Rugby world cup (or whatever the prize was, I'm not into sport) a work colleague of mine actually would not talk to me for a whole month, walking out of the room if i walked in and telling the world and his wife how much he hates the English - and I worked in a university, supposedly a place of some intelligence.

The supermarkets
The Warehouse - what the *&%£?
The lack of anything to do that isn't related to sport in some way
The high cost of living
The lack of vowels or anything that approaches proper speech
The lack of news in the 'newspapers' and on the 'news' - when Beslan happened it was on page 4 of the World section. The front page talked about a car crash ouside old man Van Dyke's farm. I asked an Nzer about this and he replied "well it's got nothing to do with us, why should we care?"
The (lack of) quality of the television programmes
The crappy wooden sheds they call houses - when i was young and our family fell on hard times I lived on a council estate in Blighty and i kid you not our garden shed looked like one of those weatherboard things
The length of time it takes to get anyway - including out of the damn country
The absolute lack of customer service, anywhere
The greyness of the 'towns'
The apalling school system (according to my friends with kids)
Leaking houses
Short summers that sometimes are not summers at all (yes I know the Uk is a bit crap on that front, but at least we know that and admit it - Nzers constantly tell you how wonderful their weather is - then go on (on the 'news') about the 100 year floods they have EVERY year in the summer..and the winter...and the Autumn)
The cheese - where the similarity to cheese begins and ends i don't know
The rags they call clothes
gum boots - they're wellies!

I could go on (and will later, sorry!) but I have to go to Italian lessons now
Again, I applaud you Mazi. You know the Warehouse? Well we call it the Church of New Zealand.
Old Oct 28th 2006, 9:25 am
Member of Mumo-land

Yes, I wish someone had warned me before i went (actually I think the boyfriend did suggest I may not find it a bed of roses, but of course I didn't listen) - but saying that, it is only an opinion and everyone is different and wants different things out of life. I have mentioned some good points on the 'positive things...' thread - at least 5!
This rings true. I did suggest to OH that it was merely a big farm and that if I wanted to live somewhere that looked a lot like the UK (in places) I would stay there. But no, I didn't I went.
Since then he as a professional in his field, having worked all over Europe and Australia, is adamant he will not work again in NZ and can't get over their amazing work ethic (lack of). His dad, on the phone from the UK the other day, mentioned that a news paper in the UK was trying to recruit from the UK to NZ in his field and, like you, he didn't listen and said he would have come anyway so who are we to try and save anyone from themselves? They want to try it here - warts and all. Just be aware, the baby boomers have got it al sewn up down here - if not the NZ farmers have just cashed up and subdivided their way to an NZ 'lifestyle'.
Old Oct 28th 2006, 9:28 am
Member of Mumo-land

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Aus or NZ??
very good Polly! I know what you mean!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.