British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   The negative New Zealand thread (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/negative-new-zealand-thread-404353/)

mazi Oct 27th 2006 3:12 pm

Re: The negative New Zealand thread

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
I used to love the big Cadbury's bars you could get in NZ which you couldn't get in the UK - Caramello and Rocky Road and stuff.

OH NO I've done it again - this is supposed to be a negative thread!!!

errr the wages are sh1t there's no jobs and everything is really really expensive. And the Kiwis go on to you all the time with things like "well at least you're not in England"

There - was that negative enough?

Buzzy

Oh at last - a place I can vent about NZ without having a dagger put in my back. Where shall i begin...?
The RACISM - yes i know the Maori use this to their advantage at times, but wouldn't you if a pack of colonials came and duped you into giving up your land? and don't even get me started on that piece of paper called the Treaty of Waitangi that was wrongly translated. It's not just the racism against the maori but the assumption that all Asian drivers are bad drivers - sod off, NZers are the worst drivers I have ever come across (and I live in Italy now). Also the xenophobia - "oh you're English, I hate you then". When England won the Rugby world cup (or whatever the prize was, I'm not into sport) a work colleague of mine actually would not talk to me for a whole month, walking out of the room if i walked in and telling the world and his wife how much he hates the English - and I worked in a university, supposedly a place of some intelligence.

The supermarkets
The Warehouse - what the *&%£?
The lack of anything to do that isn't related to sport in some way
The high cost of living
The lack of vowels or anything that approaches proper speech
The lack of news in the 'newspapers' and on the 'news' - when Beslan happened it was on page 4 of the World section. The front page talked about a car crash ouside old man Van Dyke's farm. I asked an Nzer about this and he replied "well it's got nothing to do with us, why should we care?"
The (lack of) quality of the television programmes
The crappy wooden sheds they call houses - when i was young and our family fell on hard times I lived on a council estate in Blighty and i kid you not our garden shed looked like one of those weatherboard things
The length of time it takes to get anyway - including out of the damn country
The absolute lack of customer service, anywhere
The greyness of the 'towns'
The apalling school system (according to my friends with kids)
Leaking houses
Short summers that sometimes are not summers at all (yes I know the Uk is a bit crap on that front, but at least we know that and admit it - Nzers constantly tell you how wonderful their weather is - then go on (on the 'news') about the 100 year floods they have EVERY year in the summer..and the winter...and the Autumn)
The cheese - where the similarity to cheese begins and ends i don't know
The rags they call clothes
gum boots - they're wellies!

I could go on (and will later, sorry!) but I have to go to Italian lessons now

Jack The Lad Oct 27th 2006 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by mazi
Oh at last - a place I can vent about NZ without having a dagger put in my back. Where shall i begin...?
The RACISM - yes i know the Maori use this to their advantage at times, but wouldn't you if a pack of colonials came and duped you into giving up your land? and don't even get me started on that piece of paper called the Treaty of Waitangi that was wrongly translated. It's not just the racism against the maori but the assumption that all Asian drivers are bad drivers - sod off, NZers are the worst drivers I have ever come across (and I live in Italy now). Also the xenophobia - "oh you're English, I hate you then". When England won the Rugby world cup (or whatever the prize was, I'm not into sport) a work colleague of mine actually would not talk to me for a whole month, walking out of the room if i walked in and telling the world and his wife how much he hates the English - and I worked in a university, supposedly a place of some intelligence.

The supermarkets
The high cost of living
The lack of news in the 'newspapers' and on the 'news' - when Beslan happened it was on page 4 of the World section. The front page talked about a car crash ouside old man Van Dyke's farm. I asked an Nzer about this and he replied "well it's got nothing to do with us, why should we care?"
The crappy wooden sheds they call houses - when i was young and our family fell on hard times I lived on a council estate in Blighty and i kid you not our garden shed looked like one of those weatherboard things
Leaking houses
Short summers that sometimes are not summers at all (yes I know the Uk is a bit crap on that front, but at least we know that and admit it - Nzers constantly tell you how wonderful their weather is - then go on (on the 'news') about the 100 year floods they have EVERY year in the summer..and the winter...and the Autumn)

Go on. Dont hold back. Vent at will :D

brussels_sprout Oct 27th 2006 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by sky
The chocolate all tastes like cheap easter egg chocolate to me, but then mum sent me some from the uk and it made me ill :scared:

Sounds like we will be losing plenty of weight in NZ , then. I will probably start dreaming of the Cote D'Or and Neuhaus delights of Belgium after ooooo 24 hours. Does anyone else think the chocolate in NZ is poor ? Do they put loads of sugar and vegetable fat in it like in England ?

P2L Oct 27th 2006 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout
Sounds like we will be losing plenty of weight in NZ , then. I will probably start dreaming of the Cote D'Or and Neuhaus delights of Belgium after ooooo 24 hours. Does anyone else think the chocolate in NZ is poor ? Do they put loads of sugar and vegetable fat in it like in England ?

So long as they never run out of Moro bars and Pineapple lumps this girl will be smiling :) :) :)

Kerry & Dirk Oct 27th 2006 6:40 pm

Have you tried frozen pineapple lumps ??? Also like pixie caramels (we had a cat name after that).

Negatives

Looking back at NZ (14 years since I left) while living in the UK are....

Big problems with the drug P, this is bad stuff but don't see how widespread it is, though most big crimes in NZ has this mentioned.

Boy racers ................. need I say more.

Interest rates (7.5 %)

Binge drinking from teenagers. This appears to be reported in the smaller towns around NZ. Sounds family to here. Good thing is that they may put the legal age back up to 20.

Teenage gangs, apparently they like to prey on the new kids at school but depends on the school and the town city I suppose.

But after saying this, this could also relate to any other country in the world.

mazi Oct 27th 2006 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by Jack Daws
Go on. Dont hold back. Vent at will :D

Thank you.

Pineapple lumps - devil's food
Doctors in shorts - I paid $50 to come and see you!
The narrow-mindedness
The defensiveness of the Pakeha
The general lack of good seafood - it's an island! In the pacific! Oh yes, it's all been sent to Japan.
The fact that you have to buy 4 avocados for your salad when you only want one because at least three of them will be rotten or stringy. The good ones have all been sent to the UK.
The petty crime - if you're going to break the law, at least do it in style
The outrageous cost of the 'low cost' airlines
Air New Zealand
The trigger happiness of ...well, everyone. Ok possums and rabbits eat things you don't want them to but do you have to blast their heads off with such glee and then recount the story to anyone who'll listen and even to those who won't?
The 'jokes' about people with any misfortunes or disability
The fact that the water that comes out of the tap is often brown and when you ask the council about it they tell you to run all the taps in the house for half an hour and see if that clears the problem up. When you are on a water meter.
The dog 'chow' being in the same cold storage unit as the Sunday roast-type meat in the supermarket
Christmas in the Summer (if you can call it a Summer)! For goodness' sake.

And so it goes on...
I'll be back

mazi Oct 27th 2006 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by Kerry & Dirk
Have you tried frozen pineapple lumps ??? Also like pixie caramels (we had a cat name after that).

Negatives

Looking back at NZ (14 years since I left) while living in the UK are....

Big problems with the drug P, this is bad stuff but don't see how widespread it is, though most big crimes in NZ has this mentioned.

Boy racers ................. need I say more.

Interest rates (7.5 %)

Binge drinking from teenagers. This appears to be reported in the smaller towns around NZ. Sounds family to here. Good thing is that they may put the legal age back up to 20.

Teenage gangs, apparently they like to prey on the new kids at school but depends on the school and the town city I suppose.

But after saying this, this could also relate to any other country in the world.

Oh yes! the P heads - both methamphetamine and petrol!

Jack The Lad Oct 27th 2006 7:06 pm

The dog 'chow' being in the same cold storage unit as the Sunday roast-type meat in the supermarket

Your kidding? :scared:

Jack The Lad Oct 27th 2006 7:06 pm

I'll be back

You were quick ;)

:D

mazi Oct 27th 2006 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout

I believe they do - but more so. They will try to tell you it is the best chocolate in the world and that Cadbury's is a NZ co. (Not that i am extolling the virtues of the Uk cadbury's firm - it doesn't come close to belgian choc, obviously) You don't come by much of the real 70% and over chocolate. I think they put all those sweets and hokey pokey stuff in it to disguise the taste. Although I have to say i was partial to a piece of Black Forest now and again.

mazi Oct 27th 2006 7:11 pm

Your kidding? :scared:

Not a word of a lie

mazi Oct 27th 2006 7:20 pm

You were quick ;)

:D

Oh now look what's happened. I'm on a roll...all that pent up hatred spilling out at once now I have people to vent to!
More...

The ice cream - green stuff with lumps a bit like jelly tots in. what was it called..? Goody gum drops! Gross. And I used to like jelly tots.

Level crossings without barriers or any kind of warning that a train may be coming- and then they say "oh gosh, why has that bus load of school kids been hit by a train?"

...to be continued

If any of you are in any way offended by anything I am saying, please remember this is a NEGATIVE NZ thread! And besides, enough people in NZ told me how crap England is enough times. "When did you go?" I would ask. "Oh I've never been" they would reply.

Genesis Oct 27th 2006 7:29 pm

The supermarkets
The high cost of living
Leaking houses

When are you coming back then? :D

mazi Oct 27th 2006 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by Genesis

To the UK? Not. Live in Italy now.

mazi Oct 27th 2006 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by Genesis

Ah no, sorry - just seen that you are in Palmerston North. well, next year actually - boyfriend's family still there after all, and our mortgage...