Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The negative New Zealand thread

The negative New Zealand thread

Old Feb 4th 2007, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The negative New Zealand thread

Originally Posted by Bermuda Girl
I've just read this whole thread and loved it. I'm currently in Sydney, but will probably move to New Zealand at some point in the next few years.

I wanted to comment on people saying it is stupid to move countries without having been there before.

I've done it twice, and in both cases don't feel a two week "reccie" first would have helped.

Looking back at the first month or so in each place I loved them both, being suitably impressed by sunny days and beautiful beaches! Dislikes and dissatisfactions grew over time.

I think for me a holiday first would have been as mis-leading as those first weeks.

Before anybody thinks I'm prone to always thinking the grass is greener somewhere else, I was actually very happy in Bermuda for over 5 years. The decision to leave was much more based on the fact that I couldn't stay there indefinitly (there being no such thing as permanent residency there, unless you marry a Bermudian), so wanted to leave on my own terms rather than have a work permit refused in a couple of years time. There were definitely things I didn't like, but the positives outweighed the negatives (most of the time).

So to anybody moving to New Zealand (or anywhere else) without having been there first, enjoy the adventure. Make it through the first year - I really don't feel you can make a decision about a place in less time than that. If after that you decide it's not for you, you can go home or move on, but at lease you'll have tried. Hopefully you'll feel the move was the right decision for you.

Incidently, I've been to New Zealand three times now, for just over 3 months in total. I love the place, think I'd be happy living there, but am still no closer to deciding where abouts I'll move to! Will have to plan another trip this year...
Nice post, I agree. It's difficult to visit anywhere and not be in holiday mode. Actually living and working is different.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

soulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nice

I agree also, it's very judgemental to assess others by one's own standards!

With a young family and not much dosh it was easier by far for us to just come here rather than blow thousands on a reccie (esp. as we wanted out of where we were/the life we were living) anyway!!

however, i'd never judge anyone else who considered that an investigative holiday was the right thing for them!!

x
Old Feb 6th 2007, 9:56 pm
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

We never did a reccie. Firstly we couldn't afford it and secondly, as was said before, you dont see it the same way when you come for a holiday as you do when you live here and do the day to day things that everyone else does. I dont actually think it would have helped me that much...
Old Feb 7th 2007, 2:44 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Might have helped me get over the shock of how scruffy Christchurch looked but other than that I don't think a reccie would have been of any benefit to us. It took me six months for my head to stop spinning anyways
Old Feb 7th 2007, 3:02 am
Forum Regular

hubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nice

Hey Sky - has the NZ summer kicked in yet??
Old Feb 7th 2007, 3:05 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hubbard
Hey Sky - has the NZ summer kicked in yet??
Yes it has ... it's glorious today here but it's just typical that I have got myself a job now so can't lay out and enjoy it any more
Old Feb 9th 2007, 5:24 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

NZ's crap cos Im not there yet
Old Feb 9th 2007, 5:54 pm
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

Wannabe robbers at Customs
Old Feb 9th 2007, 6:11 pm
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

Kiwi house at Otorohanga - filthy, disease-ridden hole
Old Feb 15th 2007, 1:50 am
Forum Regular

dubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nice

The very forum i needed today as i have my whingin pom head on

annoying........

pak n kak
teachers in yer kids schools who look like they are 16
its not lither its leather
and its not bid its bed you stupid bedpost woman
hamper adverts
men in stubbies
and shorts with long socks and dress shoes
selling pre packed chicken necks and claws
the bacon buster magazine
pig hunter
getting sun burnt in 2.5 seconds then freezing with that horrible cold wind
bushy moustaches
people looking blankly and noddin when i am talking to them, they have no idea what i have just said
sales assistants who say, how are yeeeew
johnny's full of beef spread called a sosage
and new zealand tv copying british tv programmes with crap results
new zealand version of this morning

god i feel a bit bad now, but better. i do have a few good things to say also!
Old Feb 15th 2007, 1:59 am
sky
Banned

Originally Posted by dubstar
johnny's full of beef spread called a sosage
Old Feb 15th 2007, 2:14 am
Just Joined

proxy is an unknown quantity at this point

The isolation and that it is so underdeveloped (not talking Auckland here).
Waikato: Just feels like no pride is put into building - most boring, uninspiring way of presenting the towns and the interior decoration of most shops and office buildings...
Calling all the lack of proper development and entertainment "life style" as if it's a secret you won't get.

Last edited by proxy; Feb 15th 2007 at 2:18 am.
Old Feb 15th 2007, 2:23 am
Forum Regular

dubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nice

gosh some more....

the costs of flights, nearly 10grand to get back to the UK
lack of food labelling on products, god knows whats in there
leaving us with knobbly bumpy fruit and veg cos its all gone to tescos
Australian wine cheaper than the local brews
how many cows!!!!!!!!!! and the milk is how much!!!!
the jobs section, why don't they tell us the salary in the ad,
the only salarys mentioned are ladies earn 1000's become a prostitue

ive done now.
Old Feb 15th 2007, 2:25 am
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

TBH, I think these are the sort of whinges you would have if you emigrated anywhere in the planet - not sure if they are particularly NZs fault

But glad you feel better now anyway
Old Feb 15th 2007, 2:26 am
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

annoying........

the bacon buster magazinesorry not heard of this

bushy moustachesthey have these in all countries...greece/spain to name a couple
people looking blankly and noddin when i am talking to them, they have no idea what i have just saidthey do this in the uk

johnny's full of beef spread called a sosageno idea again what this

new zealand version of this morningi thought the uk version was crap anywya

its like saying christmas is odd cus its warm here for some of these things, but I get your point it is good to have a moan occassionally

so i dont mean any offense by any of my comments so please dont take any as its just a bit of fun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.