Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The negative New Zealand thread

The negative New Zealand thread

Old Nov 1st 2006, 4:13 am
BE Enthusiast

cottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to all
Default Re: The negative New Zealand thread

Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel
most large gardens in nz have a new house built on them now (but not a bungaloid because there isnt room)
Lots of large gardens still around in Wellington - with possum control, Karori Wildlife Sanctuary, the Council looking after wildlife corridors and town belt and individual gardens using native planting, loads more tuis and native birds, as well.
Old Nov 1st 2006, 6:52 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

I just thought of another one....

No public rights of way, nowhere to walk in the country cos it's all private land.

And another....

No little windy lanes with pavements and you take your life into your own hands anyways if you do attempt to walk along a country road.
Old Nov 1st 2006, 6:53 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

And I miss letterboxes too!
Old Nov 1st 2006, 6:56 am
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cottageinthesky
Think that may have changed with newer houses/renovations - in Wellington, would probably only be smaller starter homes/units/apartments that would have showers only.
Well it certainly changed in my house - out came the upstairs (note: STAIRS) shower within two days of moving in and in went a lovely big bath. I knew people from all sorts of socioeconomic backgrounds (including some of the richer ones) and none of them had baths - how come it's different in Wellington? In fact, I knew of some who took their baths out and replaced with a shower! WEIRD.
Old Nov 1st 2006, 7:05 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by sky
Which type? the red ones you see on country-lane walks in the Uk or the one in your front door for your post to come through? I definitely missed the one in my front door - what's that all about, having to walk to the end of your garden to get the post? And in some cases, as has been pointed out, it's a bloomin' big garden with a couple of houses to negotiate your way around. In the rain. To get the post. Isn't it called 'post' because it's 'posted'??? Not in NZ.

(And I had next to no garden -we lived in the 'city' (HA ha ha AHA HA A ha aha ha ha ah ah a) and deliberately chose not to have one, but collecting the post fom the front of my house still gave me the pip.)
Old Nov 1st 2006, 7:13 am
BE Enthusiast

cottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mazi
Well it certainly changed in my house - out came the upstairs (note: STAIRS) shower within two days of moving in and in went a lovely big bath. I knew people from all sorts of socioeconomic backgrounds (including some of the richer ones) and none of them had baths - how come it's different in Wellington? In fact, I knew of some who took their baths out and replaced with a shower! WEIRD.
Maybe Wellington's a proper place for proper people
Old Nov 1st 2006, 7:15 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by cottageinthesky
Maybe Wellington's a proper place for proper people
Ah, that might be it
Old Nov 1st 2006, 7:52 am
sky
Banned

Which type? the red ones you see on country-lane walks in the Uk or the one in your front door for your post to come through?
The one in the front door
Old Nov 1st 2006, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

Kerry & Dirk is just really niceKerry & Dirk is just really niceKerry & Dirk is just really niceKerry & Dirk is just really niceKerry & Dirk is just really niceKerry & Dirk is just really niceKerry & Dirk is just really niceKerry & Dirk is just really niceKerry & Dirk is just really nice

how come it's different in Wellington? In fact, I knew of some who took their baths out and replaced with a shower! WEIRD.
Funny that as a kid we had a bath, but as my sister and I reached our teens dad put in a shower. I do perfer a shower to a bath though, unless I've got a good book to read.

Originally Posted by sky
What !!! so people can set fireworks off in your house, so you always have to go to the Post Office to get your bigger mail.

Next you will be wanting home delivery from the supermarkets ???
Old Nov 1st 2006, 5:19 pm
sky
Banned

Originally Posted by Kerry & Dirk
What !!! so people can set fireworks off in your house, so you always have to go to the Post Office to get your bigger mail.

Next you will be wanting home delivery from the supermarkets ???
Well if folk have their way there won't be any fireworks to do anything with soon, they want to ban them. Trouble is folk always find a way don't they and there'll just be lots of back street dodgy dealing going on to secure a box of sparklers.

They already have home delivery from supermarkets but bet you already knew that didn't you lol.
Old Nov 1st 2006, 6:41 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: The negative New Zealand thread

Which type? the red ones you see on country-lane walks in the Uk or the one in your front door for your post to come through? I definitely missed the one in my front door - what's that all about, having to walk to the end of your garden to get the post? And in some cases, as has been pointed out, it's a bloomin' big garden with a couple of houses to negotiate your way around. In the rain. To get the post. Isn't it called 'post' because it's 'posted'??? Not in NZ.

(And I had next to no garden -we lived in the 'city' (HA ha ha AHA HA A ha aha ha ha ah ah a) and deliberately chose not to have one, but collecting the post fom the front of my house still gave me the pip.)
I had to get on a motorbike to get my post the end of the drive was that far away!

Buzzy
Old Nov 1st 2006, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

SecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud of

gravel roads :scared:
Old Nov 1st 2006, 7:34 pm
sky
Banned

The high percentage of cracked windscreens due to gravel roads :scared:
Old Nov 1st 2006, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

SecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud of

homicidal magpies
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 7:30 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kerry & Dirk
Funny that as a kid we had a bath, but as my sister and I reached our teens dad put in a shower. I do perfer a shower to a bath though, unless I've got a good book to read.
I've only lived in one house that didn't have a bath and thought I'd die of excitement the day we moved It's the glass of wine, book, experience I love. But now....... I hardly ever have a bath (and yes, we do have one ). I've only seen one property in our office that didn't have a bath - mind you it had an upstairs but no stairs :scared: You've got to climb up a pole with bits sticking out for your feet and the 'bedroom' is a bed on top of the pole. Obviously it's a student apartment but they could never come home drunk! Or at least they couldn't go to bed drunk. They'd never make it

Next you will be wanting home delivery from the supermarkets
I always get my shopping delivered - it's cool and no having to listen to my husband moan about being in a SHOP either

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.