Reload this Page >

The negative New Zealand thread

The negative New Zealand thread

Old Oct 28th 2006, 2:31 pm
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The negative New Zealand thread

Originally Posted by Batty
I'm not defensive - I like to think I'm fair. People, however odd it may seem, make life changing decisions on the basis of posts on this forum. It has happened in the past. I am an immigrant here. I'm happy. I'm fairly well off. I live in a nice house that's not sub-divided. I didn't pay a fortune for it. I don't like my job. Everything is not 100% perfect but isn't enough to warrant a rant nor give me any major problems. And. There are loads of immigrants like me here. You're really enjoying laying into New Zealand and fair enough but you've got to realise that when you say that all houses are cold, that people won't talk to you if you don't play sports (I don't - I don't even drive and make good use of the public transport system) those are generalisations and do not apply to everyone. I've got really good Kiwi friends who don't give a toss whether or not I'm interested in sport. So. That's not being defensive - that's telling MY truth. And, tbh, I love this country - so it'd be a bit silly to expect anyone who does to just keep listening to what you're saying and not react.
I agree with much of what you're saying - but remember I am basing what I think on my experiences there too, how I was treated, the things I saw etc. I think it's wonderful that you like it there - and I have apologised in advance for offending anyone in other areas of this site. Many people don't like pizza, I think they're mad, but I don't care if they tell me they don't like it, even when they say they hate all pizza and they clearly haven't tried all pizzas. Similarly, I wasn't too bothered when everyone I met in NZ told me how cr*p England was, until I started discovering they had never been there. Having been to NZ (for a long time) I am qualified to talk about the things that annoy me.

I have a couple of Kiwi friends who didn't mind me not liking sport too - I have mentioned one of them on the 'great' thread. No one's life is 100% perfect (well, i don't think - maybe there are people out there who think theirs is) but it so happens that my life was about 99% away from being 100% in NZ so I had to leave - I stuck it for three years as I would hate to be someone who didn't try, but for three years (barring the odd day here and there of course) I was miserable and as a result, ill.

Yes I am enjoying talking about all the bad things - you will see from my first entry the relief I expressed about finally being able to say these things when i have previously had to keep my mouth shut. If you don't want to read bad things, don't look at the neg thread. I have added some positive things too on the "everything's great' thread- I also like to think I am fair and when i see/experience something good I make no bones about saying I think it's good. But ditto bad.

I have added a nice photo for you to look at on the 'great' thread. Actually it's not one of our best of that particular view but I can't be bothered to trawl through them all to find a better one.

We'll have to agree to disagree about our feelings about NZ, but truly, I am happy you are happy. It's nice to hear.

Get a new job! What do you do?
Old Oct 28th 2006, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel
- "Tasty" cheese - there is an breach of advertising law case in there somewhere i am sure
Yes. I remember that now. "Please give me some cheese. No, not the tasty cheese. I prefer my cheese tasteless". What is that about?

K.
Old Oct 28th 2006, 2:38 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Oi. There should be no argueing in here. Its a rant-o-zone

No defensive posts please. Everyone should be free to let rip.
Old Oct 28th 2006, 2:39 pm
Account Closed

No. My inlaws live in Browns Bay and are surrounded by those types of houses. All of them are owned by immigrants. Asian, South African, English etc.etc. No kiwis.

Actually, many of these houses (all over Auckland) are on sites that were originally occupied by villas. I've been told that Chinese people knocked them down because of bad feng shui. I don't know if that's true or not but I can see how it might make sense.
Why bad feng shui? Oh, maybe because the original English immigrants took English plans with them and built the houses round the wrong way. In an area close to where I lived in NZ there is a huge area of those big hair houses - and most (I can't say all as i have not been in all of them but i did go in most when we were looking for somewhere to buy and the daft estate agents thought we might like them) were owned by Kiwis. Suppose it depends which town you live in.
Old Oct 28th 2006, 2:40 pm
Account Closed

Is your OH stupid then? Cos my Kiwi isn't. Assuming that your OH is a product of the NZ education system? I'm not looking for an argument but you're way off base on so many things you're saying. I make it a point never to generalise. It's not good for anyone and people who do either come across as being away with the fairies or bitter.

On the subject of books - when I was younger there was VAT on books in Ireland and they were very expensive. It never stopped me reading. It is something I feel very passionate about and there should not be GST on books but I'm thinking about it and I've a PLAN
What's your PLAN?
Old Oct 28th 2006, 2:43 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jack Daws
Oi. There should be no argueing in here. Its a rant-o-zone

No defensive posts please. Everyone should be free to let rip.
Thank you for keeping us in check, Mr Daws
Old Oct 28th 2006, 2:46 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mazi
Thank you for keeping us in check, Mr Daws
Your welcome.

Now get back to whinging
Old Oct 28th 2006, 3:29 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jack Daws
Your welcome.

Now get back to whinging
I'm all whinged out at this moment in time, but I'm working on it
Old Oct 28th 2006, 4:12 pm
Account Closed

the bit about the corinthian pillars
Come back, Sec.

Are you off gathering nuts?
Old Oct 28th 2006, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

SecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud of

- (real) (grrr) estate agent /car dealers calling cards/adverts with their photos on!!
Old Oct 28th 2006, 5:05 pm
Account Closed

- (real) (grrr) estate agent /car dealers calling cards/adverts with their photos on!!
And their cars! Sometimes also with their photos on!
Old Oct 28th 2006, 5:15 pm
Account Closed

The 4% commission they charge you to sell your house - 4%!!!!!!!!!!!!! And that's after the marketing fees which is a separate charge, and after the auction fees (which they will sell their granny to make you do - because you don't get the money back if no one comes to the auction)

Last edited by mazi; Oct 28th 2006 at 5:17 pm.
Old Oct 28th 2006, 5:25 pm
Account Closed

And the fridge magnets/pens/notepads they insist on giving you when they call round to your house trying to make you sell it - with their names/photos on!
Old Oct 28th 2006, 5:33 pm
Banned

Ha, ha we notice the agents pix on the websites. Some of them look positivley strange :scared:
Old Oct 28th 2006, 5:34 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by mazi
The 4% commission they charge you to sell your house - 4%!!!!!!!!!!!!! And that's after the marketing fees which is a separate charge, and after the auction fees (which they will sell their granny to make you do - because you don't get the money back if no one comes to the auction)
4%

Well I just might have found my new job

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.