Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Need some upto date info on move to NZ ASAP

Need some upto date info on move to NZ ASAP

Old Jul 30th 2006, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

Pastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Need some upto date info on move to NZ ASAP: Were Off

Well its been nearly 2 months since our last thread and so much and so little has happended. In total I had three interviews, with one in Auckland. I flew out with my wife and was only able to spend 2 nights there, so very tired and jet lagged. We left not knowing if I had got the job and three later, I got the news as I was hoping for. A new job in Auckland!!!!!!

Whilst we were waiting, we took some risks and booked and got our medical done. We also renewed our childrens passports and got the police checks done. So nearly £800 spent and we still didnt know, but it had paid off.

Start date is still to be confirmed, but we are looking at end of September latest. All dependent on the visa now, with the formal job offer letter due end of the week.

Thanks for all those which gave us some great advice. I will send a new thread soon with our experiance of documents and applications so far which may help.

But for now we could really do with some info on the basics, shipping, bank accounts, schools. We like the look of Takapuna. So will send a new thread soon, again, thanks for all your help.

Paul
Old Jul 31st 2006, 12:24 am
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Need some upto date info on move to NZ ASAP: Were Off

Originally Posted by Pastor Flaps
Well its been nearly 2 months since our last thread and so much and so little has happended. In total I had three interviews, with one in Auckland. I flew out with my wife and was only able to spend 2 nights there, so very tired and jet lagged. We left not knowing if I had got the job and three later, I got the news as I was hoping for. A new job in Auckland!!!!!!

Whilst we were waiting, we took some risks and booked and got our medical done. We also renewed our childrens passports and got the police checks done. So nearly £800 spent and we still didnt know, but it had paid off.

Start date is still to be confirmed, but we are looking at end of September latest. All dependent on the visa now, with the formal job offer letter due end of the week.

Thanks for all those which gave us some great advice. I will send a new thread soon with our experiance of documents and applications so far which may help.

But for now we could really do with some info on the basics, shipping, bank accounts, schools. We like the look of Takapuna. So will send a new thread soon, again, thanks for all your help.

Paul
good luck with it all

my police report took nearly 6 weeks from the good old north wales police
Old Jul 31st 2006, 6:18 am
Not a Junior Member!

Lisa T has a spectacular aura aboutLisa T has a spectacular aura aboutLisa T has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Need some upto date info on move to NZ ASAP

Just remember if you do not have Permanent Residency then your children will have to pay international school fees!

We submitted our paperwork for Residency with Job Offer and everything was back within the week, complete with visas. My OH went ahead of us so that he didn't make his employer wait any longer.

What do you do? We'll be on the North Shore soon. Good luck with everything.
Old Jul 31st 2006, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lisa T
Just remember if you do not have Permanent Residency then your children will have to pay international school fees!

That is incorrect. You do not pay international school fees if your child has a student visa, if you are on a work visa. I'm sure other will concur.
Cheers
Gill
Old Jul 31st 2006, 7:29 am
Not a Junior Member!

Lisa T has a spectacular aura aboutLisa T has a spectacular aura aboutLisa T has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Gill and Rob
That is incorrect. You do not pay international school fees if your child has a student visa, if you are on a work visa. I'm sure other will concur.
Cheers
Gill
Sorry - must be my early morning thinking....didn't mean to give any wrong info!

I'll consider myself silenced!!! and have another cup of tea....
Old Jul 31st 2006, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

waynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to behold

Sorry - must be my early morning thinking....didn't mean to give any wrong info!

I'll consider myself silenced!!! and have another cup of tea....
Hi Lisa,
we will be arriving in Auckland on the 4th sept, we hoped it would be early as we move out the house on the 17th august!!!! we will be homeless, carless and scared.
We have three children and when i saw the school fees mention nearly collasped :
this is a big adventure for us and having many a sleepless night, but can't wait for it to start.......how was that second cuppa?
Jane
Old Jul 31st 2006, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

Pastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of light

Good morning Lisa and Jane

Well two ladies both from Yorkshire moving. I was actually in Harrogate two weeks ago at a trade fair.

I have just been advised we are now looking at 25th September as a start date, so will probably fly the week before.

We are looking at living around Takapuna on the north shore. But nothing definate at this early stage.

My job will be with Air New Zealand, working on the online sales through the website.

We are also very excited, scared and mad busy trying to get stuff done so there is not a mad panic at the end which I am sure there will be.

Where are you both looking at living and what will you be doing for work.
Would be nice to know two families moving at the same time. And also being northerners, no offence to our southern friends, I have worked down south for some years so know the differences.

Paul
Old Jul 31st 2006, 8:28 am
Not a Junior Member!

The second (or maybe 4th) cuppa seems to have given me a headache - or could that be the stress of selling a business, emigrating, summer holidays with two children and mad dog......

My OH currently is living in Herne Bay but we are looking around Mairangi / Campbells etc (although I keep getting drawn over to Greenhithe as the houses actually have gardens over on that side!). OH is a Chartered Loss Adjuster and Building Surveyor and he has been over in NZ since last October.
Not too sure what I will do when we get over there (Starbucks? - I know the lingo so the work should fall into place.......). I have owned a nursery for several years but have a business degree and worked as a Senior PA for a multi national before that (so temping is always a good idea 'cos I can usually type). I want to get the children settled in a nice school before I can commit to anything permanent - but I firmly intend not to rush into anything after the last few months over in the UK.

We'll have to meet up when we get over - it's nice to chat with people who have gone through the same sort of thing! Good luck with the new job!
LisaT
Old Jul 31st 2006, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

How spooky, my wife is actually a team leader in a nursery and has been working with children for 15 years. She is determined that she will not be doing it anymore and wants to try something new, but like everyone, doesnet know what.

You and your OH have been apart for sometime. You must be really looking forward to seeing him and getting your family back together.

We should meet up when we arrive and share stories.

I am sure I will ask for some tips over the next few weeks.

Have a great day.

Paul
Old Jul 31st 2006, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

waynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to behold

Good morning Lisa and Jane

Well two ladies both from Yorkshire moving. I was actually in Harrogate two weeks ago at a trade fair.

I have just been advised we are now looking at 25th September as a start date, so will probably fly the week before.

We are looking at living around Takapuna on the north shore. But nothing definate at this early stage.

My job will be with Air New Zealand, working on the online sales through the website.

We are also very excited, scared and mad busy trying to get stuff done so there is not a mad panic at the end which I am sure there will be.

Where are you both looking at living and what will you be doing for work.
Would be nice to know two families moving at the same time. And also being northerners, no offence to our southern friends, I have worked down south for some years so know the differences.

Paul
Good morning to you too,
My other half has a job with Hays in the uk and he is moving out to work for Hays NZ.
We will be in the centre of Auckland for a month then he will be opening a new office for Hays in Albany.
Good only knows where we will live as its so expensive in North shore!!!!!
Harrogate is a lovely place to live and also very expensive so the shock of the house prices might not hit us too much.
We have three children 4,11,16 two girls and the eleven year is a boy.
I have not had a good night sleep for weeks and we seem to go 3steps forward and then 10 steps back!!!
just waiting for that stamp in our passports and we should be off.
We have sold the house so we will be homeless for a couple of weeks.
we tried to open a PO box so we can redirect mail but you can,t untill you arrive so mail will be in limbo too!!!!
All exciting stuff and every day something knew happens trying not to get too stressed .
Have you got kids?
We have learned so much by using this site and im so glad for every ones help
and advice,keep it coming
thanks
jane
Old Jul 31st 2006, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

The second (or maybe 4th) cuppa seems to have given me a headache - or could that be the stress of selling a business, emigrating, summer holidays with two children and mad dog......

My OH currently is living in Herne Bay but we are looking around Mairangi / Campbells etc (although I keep getting drawn over to Greenhithe as the houses actually have gardens over on that side!). OH is a Chartered Loss Adjuster and Building Surveyor and he has been over in NZ since last October.
Not too sure what I will do when we get over there (Starbucks? - I know the lingo so the work should fall into place.......). I have owned a nursery for several years but have a business degree and worked as a Senior PA for a multi national before that (so temping is always a good idea 'cos I can usually type). I want to get the children settled in a nice school before I can commit to anything permanent - but I firmly intend not to rush into anything after the last few months over in the UK.

We'll have to meet up when we get over - it's nice to chat with people who have gone through the same sort of thing! Good luck with the new job!
LisaT
lisa I have been a stay at home mum for years and now realise i need to use my brain before it dies.
You replied quick it takes a complete novice on the keyboard like me a little longer to reply so dont fall asleep !! Your hubby should know NZ well now?
you should have a head start on where the best places to live.

Jane
Old Sep 13th 2006, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

Hi everyone

Thought I would post another update on our move to NZ.
We applied for our visa's under the talent catagory and had the visa and passport back in 1 week. I made a couple of mistakes with the application, didnt send full birth certificates for the kids and also they wanted more evidance of marriage other than marriage certificate. Once sorted they were very efficient and helpful.

Now we have the golden ticket in our passport, all the focus is on the move. Flights arent booked yet, however as they are being sorted from our NZ employer we are not too concerned. We plan to fly on 2nd October. My wife finishes work tomorrow and I finish on Friday.

We are hoping to book the shippers tomorrow. We have narrowed it down to two, John Mason and GB Liners. If anyone has any advice or experiance please do let us know.

One of our two cars are sold, the other will hopefully sell soon.
We are taking our trailer tent with us. Its going to cost a bit for shipping but hope it will be worth while.

Its been a very emotional period already with "Will We, Wont we every day, but now thats over, we feel more postive everyday, and excited about the move.

So thats it for now. For anyone going through the same move and need advice, please do get intouch. Maybe we can help.

Paul
Old Sep 13th 2006, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

Hi everyone

Thought I would post another update on our move to NZ.
We applied for our visa's under the talent catagory and had the visa and passport back in 1 week. I made a couple of mistakes with the application, didnt send full birth certificates for the kids and also they wanted more evidance of marriage other than marriage certificate. Once sorted they were very efficient and helpful.

Now we have the golden ticket in our passport, all the focus is on the move. Flights arent booked yet, however as they are being sorted from our NZ employer we are not too concerned. We plan to fly on 2nd October. My wife finishes work tomorrow and I finish on Friday.

We are hoping to book the shippers tomorrow. We have narrowed it down to two, John Mason and GB Liners. If anyone has any advice or experiance please do let us know.

One of our two cars are sold, the other will hopefully sell soon.
We are taking our trailer tent with us. Its going to cost a bit for shipping but hope it will be worth while.

Its been a very emotional period already with "Will We, Wont we every day, but now thats over, we feel more postive everyday, and excited about the move.

So thats it for now. For anyone going through the same move and need advice, please do get intouch. Maybe we can help.

Paul
Good luck with your move and the shipping and everything else that goes with it

It gets kind of stressful from here on in, but it should all come together
Old Sep 13th 2006, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

Really pleased it all worked out for you.
Are you still considering Takapuna to live? It's lovely there.
We arrived in October 4 years ago, a lovely time to get here, spring and early summer.
Hope this last bit of organising goes smoothly for you.

Jude
Old Sep 14th 2006, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

Hi Jude

Yes we are still looking at Takapuna, however we feel it could be a little outside of our price bracket. We are staying with friends for the first couple of weeks and we take a look around and see what happens.

Just heard this monring, flights booked. Monday 2nd October from Heathrow.

Paul