Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Need some serious advise please

Need some serious advise please

Old Nov 19th 2005, 8:19 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need some serious advise please

Originally Posted by kaz Hen
Sky I think you are talking to me but if not ignore some of this post.

Did you have one too many Bacardi Breezes!
A. I was not being rude to you, go get yourselves a sense of humour.
B. We are not coming to NZ on Prison officer wages.

Sorry you struggle to survive there, we didn't. Had great holidays in Fiji, Aus, Thailand. (Not even sure that I should have said that, you could take offence)
Not everyone in NZ lives on the breadline, just like not everyone in UK does. Although in my line of work I come across a lot of people that do and a lot of kids with a crap family who throw them out and leave people like me to find me to find them some place to stay for the night. And I know that this happens in NZ too!
Yes I could ignore your posts but I would choose not too. You make some very informative comments.
I'm all up for a bit of friendly banter, but I have better things to do (as I am sure you do) than waste by energy fighting with someone I don't even Know.
Call it a truce and move on!
KAz
Eh I wasn't talking to you at all sorry if you thought I was, I was talking to K9s! Why would I think you were a prison officer? I hadn't been drinking either in fact I have been really ill with hayfever so wouldn't have fancied anything with a huge swollen face. I had no idea the pollen over here would affect me so badly, off to the Drs tomorrow, do you know if you hold a community card can you get cheap Drs appointments cos my Dr says no it is still $55

Last edited by sky; Nov 19th 2005 at 8:22 pm.
Old Nov 19th 2005, 8:58 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mumomonty

people from the UK would do almost anything to leave at the moment
Unfortunately that is a complete exaggeration! The vast majority of people living in the UK, and I'm talking c. 99% of the population, stay here for their whole lives (for some good reason), or do not have a choice in moving - mental perception or otherwise!

For me personally, a (temporary) move to NZ would have absolutely nothing to do with trying to leave the UK.

The people who come onto this forum and say things like 'last one out switch off the lights, the UK is going down the pan' are such a minority of the 'real' population that it can give a very twisted picture at times. Just in the same way as those struggling in NZ are not totally representative of the whole of the NZ population.

It's not a black or white situation, that's all I wanted to say.

Last edited by uk+kiwi; Nov 19th 2005 at 9:14 pm.
Old Nov 19th 2005, 9:21 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kaz Hen
Sky I think you are talking to me but if not ignore some of this post.

KAz
Hi Kaz - Sky didn't mean you, but nicely worded reply anyhow I thought.

Wanted to ask, how are you feeling with your son having headed back to NZ? Was it awful saying 'au revoir and not good bye'?

Sky - I've said before, you mustn't feel bad about your postings. I know you sometimes get labelled as a bit of 'doom and gloom' occasionally which is ridiculous, and I find your posts quite informative and more of a balanced reality check than the all out very negative postings about all aspects of life in NZ. I know things are tough for you, which is fine for you to say, but what I like best is that you're still managing to enjoy NZ and wouldn't come home - how good is that for a 'these are the things in life that count and we want to teach/show/experience with our kids'. Good on you. Give yourself a pat on the back & sorry your hayfever has been playing up.

I was in fact thinking about that just yesterday - OH (kiwi) used to suffer badly but seems so much better in say the last 10 years (living in the UK) - do you think it's more prevalent there or worse for existing sufferers? What has your experience been on this?

Hugs to all
Old Nov 20th 2005, 1:17 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

I had hayfever in the UK but have been absolutely floored by it over here, I was even having trouble breathing at one point but thats cos a particularly big cloud of pollen wafted over our way I think. Had big fat lips and everything .. would have liked to have kept the lucious lips but the huge puffy face was a bit horrific for my poor hubby to have to look at. I had a wet towel draped over my head at one point and across my face lol.

Been a bit down today thinking about finances cos I don't know what else we can do but I think the only way is up isn't it and the next few years will see us more established Im sure
Old Nov 20th 2005, 6:46 am

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Grobo35
Thanks for the help bookemjano,was looking at house prices on the south island where they seem to be far more reasonable,any thoughts on that.Also what is your opinion on the health and education system in NZ.Again thanks for taking the time to reply it was much appreciated.Cheers Geoff.
Hi Geoff, can only give an opinion on the area we're in, I've heard some people say they're not happy with health and education in other areas though.

Health - Steve splipped a disc the second week we were here - doc couldn't have been more helpful, and he's already had 3 appts with a surgeon, and a decision will be made in the next couple of weeks about operating, probably before Christmas. Perhaps we've been dead lucky (apart from the slipped disc of course!) but we just couldn't have been treated better.

Education - pretty good, but we felt that not enough was done to help the kids settle, they are so used to migrants that they just throw them in and let them get on with it and the teachers sound as stressed as UK teachers when you do eventually get to speak to them. But, from a kids point of view, there are loads of sports, the classroom is more relaxed, and the only homework is whatever they don't finish in the classroom unless it's project work. Uniform is incredibly expensive - two teenagers = c $700.

House prices - we're in Rangiora, 30 mins outside of Christchurch, and it's the same story - we could get a really decent house with family sized garden and all the trimmings for around $350K but we could also go way higher on that budget and get one for c $600K, or get a do-er upper for c $220K. Range is really wide, but there are few places where we are that you'd think "no, could not live there". But then again, we came from Manchester so the only way is up! Our standards are pretty low!
Old Nov 20th 2005, 6:52 am

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sky
Eh I wasn't talking to you at all sorry if you thought I was, I was talking to K9s! Why would I think you were a prison officer? I hadn't been drinking either in fact I have been really ill with hayfever so wouldn't have fancied anything with a huge swollen face. I had no idea the pollen over here would affect me so badly, off to the Drs tomorrow, do you know if you hold a community card can you get cheap Drs appointments cos my Dr says no it is still $55
Change your doctor! Ours charged $30 for the emergency appointment on a Sunday when Steve's back went, then $10 for each repeat prescription and even gave us loads of sample packs of anti-inflammatories because they're so expensive on prescription. She even doubled up two of the prescriptions so we didn't have to pay twice. We said we didn't have a community card but she said it didn't matter, he was unemployed as far as she was concerned even though he had a job lined up, but couldn't work. She only charged us $10 for a consultation for Helen as well.
Old Nov 20th 2005, 7:42 am
sky
Banned

Originally Posted by bookemjano
Change your doctor! Ours charged $30 for the emergency appointment on a Sunday when Steve's back went, then $10 for each repeat prescription and even gave us loads of sample packs of anti-inflammatories because they're so expensive on prescription. She even doubled up two of the prescriptions so we didn't have to pay twice. We said we didn't have a community card but she said it didn't matter, he was unemployed as far as she was concerned even though he had a job lined up, but couldn't work. She only charged us $10 for a consultation for Helen as well.
Was it the medical practice Jan cos that's prob why they are so booked up then and I can't get in, I'm off pronto to a Dr's tomorrow and have seen another one I'm going to try out.
Old Nov 20th 2005, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by sky
Was it the medical practice Jan cos that's prob why they are so booked up then and I can't get in, I'm off pronto to a Dr's tomorrow and have seen another one I'm going to try out.
Dr Martin on Victoria Street. Very nice lady.

Last edited by bookemjano; Nov 20th 2005 at 7:53 am.
Old Nov 20th 2005, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sky
I have been really ill with ayfever so wouldn't have fancied anything with a huge swollen face. I had no idea the pollen over here would affect me so badly, off to the Drs tomorrow, do you know if you hold a community card can you get cheap Drs appointments cos my Dr says no it is still $55
I used to suffer badly with Hayfever in NZ, horrible it was.
You should not be paying $55 if you have a community charge. They should display the costs at the reception desk. $$55 is a lot!
I do thank God for the NHS everyday that we are here, We are really getting our (tax) money's worth the the amount of stuff my youngest gets.
Cheers
KAZ
Old Nov 20th 2005, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=uk+kiwi]Hi Kaz -
Wanted to ask, how are you feeling with your son having headed back to NZ? Was it awful saying 'au revoir and not good bye'?

Hi, yes he phoned yesturday on his mobile (the bill is going to be huge) He is still in Thailand until Tues. Last place they stayed cost them £1.30 per night, the roof leaked on their beds! So they got ungraded to the establisments top roof free of charge - result eh!
Then travelling around NZ for a month -then off to Aus for a month. Then his buddies head back to UK and he starts Uni in NZ.
He has a round the world ticket so he is going to use the return leg to come back for a couple of weeks in Aug.
It was really awful saying goodbye, can't believe how much I miss him. But I glad he is a confident young man and having a fantastic experience.
One thing I find so incredible is just how quickly the years from baby to leaving home came about!
Cheers
KAZ
Old Nov 20th 2005, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

Michelle & Chris will become famous soon enoughMichelle & Chris will become famous soon enough

Hi there

Just a short note.

We are looking to move to NZ in early 06 and have a job to go to, Auckland / Franklin area, head office Auckland but looking after business in Franklin district. Salary $75K but a good package health/ car etc and help with relocation.

We did look at OZ first because my brother in-law (husbands brother) and his wife have recently moved to Brisbane (Sept 05). It took them about 2yrs get everything sorted and was a very costly experience just to get there. It looks great and yes the cost of living looks better than NZ. But she is a teacher and has just found out that she can not apply for a permanent job until she has 40 days supply work under her belt (which she is finding difficult to get) His first job as a production manager wasn't a brilliant experience as the workers were absolute hell, he hated it. They went there without jobs and nearly 3 mths later are still not settled. We found that the oz employers / agencies were only interested in certain key skilled people and were not very helpful. Points system a nightmare.

NZ on the other hand have been brilliant, every employer and recruitment agency we have spoken to at Expos have contacted us either by phone or e-mail, given great advise and been very helpful. Since first seriously looking at a move to NZ in Early oct 05 we have had 2 very good offers of employment, with good packages and help guidance and re-location cost to move there and being put through on Talent visa which are rushed through by the company.

My tip is don't go without a job, Oz may look like its paved with gold but it will be no fun without work and no one promises that you'll get any once your there.

good luck

Michelle
Old Nov 20th 2005, 5:48 pm

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point

Michelle, do you not find it strange that every other country that is popular to move to make it very hard to get in with the exception of NZ??? Companies rushing though visas etc!!!.

Sky, hope your feeling better soonxx
Old Nov 20th 2005, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

hubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nice

Originally Posted by scottish
Michelle, do you not find it strange that every other country that is popular to move to make it very hard to get in with the exception of NZ??? Companies rushing though visas etc!!!.
Not trying to pick a fight or anything, but Scottish has made a very good point. NZ does make it easier to get into than other countries (thinking of the timescales and processes for Aus, Canada etc). Logic tells me this is because it isn't as popular as the other countries, and surely there must be some reasons for it not being as popular with potential migrants as other places........
Old Nov 20th 2005, 9:16 pm
livewire

Hi Michelle. A single wage of $75K in Auckland is a little bit on the low side for a family of 4. If you're working as well it will be a lot easier.

Of course it depends on your mortgage/rent costs as to how far that will go every month, if you're mortgage free you should be comfortable.