Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

need some info please ? Moved to main forum

need some info please ? Moved to main forum

Old Aug 20th 2008, 1:58 pm
Just Joined

summer99 has a brilliant futuresummer99 has a brilliant futuresummer99 has a brilliant futuresummer99 has a brilliant futuresummer99 has a brilliant futuresummer99 has a brilliant futuresummer99 has a brilliant future
Default need some info please ? Moved to main forum

Hi this my first time on expats , anyway my family and i have been through the process getting our visa's sorted and we are due to fly out on tuesday from gatwick to los angeles and then to auckland and the finally dunedin our destination were i have found work and have a job waiting for me .But the info i need is what is the process for renting a property ,what do we need ,how long does the process take ,also what might go against us in the worst case scenario .Also can anyone give me any idea of hotel/motel prices and maybe car rental . Any info would be great
many thanks
Old Aug 21st 2008, 2:02 am
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: need some info please ? Moved to main forum

Hey there, and all the best of luck to you in sunny Dunedin!

As for rentals, well it is very simple - you turn up at the agent/ call the place you want to look at. They may ask you to do a 'drive by' which is to literally drive past the flat/ house to make sure you like the area/ location/ exterior of the house/ flat.

Then you can arrange a vieiwing, and be shown around - or if its empty you can collect the ket and take yourselves along for a look see. If you like it, you sign up with them, give them 1 to 2 months rent in advance along with a bond (can be 500 to 1000 or even more depending on the house/ whether furnished or unfurnished etc) and then you move in.

All in all it's pretty simple, and similar to the UK.

Good luck with it, and enjoy it down in Dunners!
Old Aug 21st 2008, 4:19 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Yes like Wiz said it is all pretty straightforward especially if it is empty of previous tenants. May want a reference though - we gave them the name of a rellie here and also they wanted to know where OH worked.

Good luck with everything and hope you soon settle here in NZ. Never been to Dunedin but will get there one day I am sure. Let us all know how you get on.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 5:25 pm
Just Joined

summer99 has a brilliant futuresummer99 has a brilliant futuresummer99 has a brilliant futuresummer99 has a brilliant futuresummer99 has a brilliant futuresummer99 has a brilliant futuresummer99 has a brilliant future

thanks for your reply's been very helpful
#
Originally Posted by Wiz'n'Ton
Hey there, and all the best of luck to you in sunny Dunedin!

As for rentals, well it is very simple - you turn up at the agent/ call the place you want to look at. They may ask you to do a 'drive by' which is to literally drive past the flat/ house to make sure you like the area/ location/ exterior of the house/ flat.

Then you can arrange a vieiwing, and be shown around - or if its empty you can collect the ket and take yourselves along for a look see. If you like it, you sign up with them, give them 1 to 2 months rent in advance along with a bond (can be 500 to 1000 or even more depending on the house/ whether furnished or unfurnished etc) and then you move in.

All in all it's pretty simple, and similar to the UK.

Good luck with it, and enjoy it down in Dunners!
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 9:24 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by summer99
thanks for your reply's been very helpful
#
Don't forget once you get here have a look on www.trademe.co.nz as lots of landlords advertise on there. Also have a look at your tenancy rights here
http://www.dbh.govt.nz/tenants-index

Hope this helps and best of luck.