Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

need a new job ???

need a new job ???

Old Jan 20th 2010, 5:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute
Default need a new job ???

Colandros starting his new business has got me thinking, I would like a complete change of job I used to build railways in the UK and have been involved with heavy machines (dozers,excavators, ect) for 20 odd years and TBH i,m bored to death with it, What is NZ short of trade wise ? i,m in a very fortunate position where i can afford to retrain, all and any ideas welcome. Does not have to be high paying just something that i want to get out of bed for in the morning

Neil
Old Jan 20th 2010, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: need a new job ???

Think of something you need CAD design work on & i'll join you
Personally I'm hoping the country latch onto health & safety as in UK/Europe re. manual lifting, safety ladders, fall arrest harness etc, etc..... there will be a huge market one day......
Old Jan 20th 2010, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

concretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mickey_d
Personally I'm hoping the country latch onto health & safety as in UK/Europe re. manual lifting, safety ladders, fall arrest harness etc, etc..... there will be a huge market one day......
yes and if they do , they will end up killing it like uk,they have took health and safety to far, try wearing hat hard gloves hi viz boot glass,s in summer with nothing above, most sites just need to use common sense but they don't every firm makes there own rules instead of having the same for every body and some firms have a no eating policy on site IE sucking sweets if your cault you are baned and also the firm you are working for, i use plant machines and there is always someone who thinks he know better than me to set up because someone some where might have said dont do that ????
Old Jan 20th 2010, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

It's personal injury claim companies that are to blame, firms just impose rules to avoid multi-thousand pound claims. It doesn't happen much out here yet as ACC seem to cover most work related injuries, so no-one bothers suing.
What i'm talking about is the basics, for example, a maximum load to be lifted by someone. There is no here law to state this, it's just left to the discretion of the Employer/employee. I know I wouldn't want to be lifting boxes that weigh more than 25kgs all day, but they do here, I've seen it!!
Old Jan 20th 2010, 5:07 pm
Just Joined

lapis lazuli is an unknown quantity at this point

What did you used to design?
Old Jan 20th 2010, 5:45 pm

george toni is an unknown quantity at this point

Id say electrician or a plumber as they can make good money here self employed wise but I think you would need a few years 'on the job' experience after you qualify so quite a long term goal.

as for the health and safety im not sure it isnt here the rules are in place they just choose to ignore them!

good luck with the journey
Old Jan 20th 2010, 6:55 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

To become self-employed as an NZ plumber from scratch. you will need to become an adult apprentice, which is very poor pay TBH & look to around 7 years or more to achieve the Master Craftsman status which would allow you to become self-employed.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 7:05 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

There is health and safety here

http://www.osh.govt.nz/

http://www.sitesafe.org.nz/MainMenu

Last edited by TeamEmbo; Jan 20th 2010 at 7:08 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 8:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

So apart from health and safety

I,m going to start my helicopter lessons in Feb with a bit of luck i,m not expecting a job out of it but i have always wanted a go
Old Jan 20th 2010, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lapis lazuli
What did you used to design?
Cranes, Conveyors, Cable reels, Cable Chains, Safety Ladders, Fall Arrest Systems.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

strawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil

I,m going to start my helicopter lessons in Feb with a bit of luck i,m not expecting a job out of it but i have always wanted a go
We'll be in Christchurch in March and my hubby wants to do his helicopter lessons!! Always wanted to do it, must be a bloke thing!!!
Old Jan 20th 2010, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil

Now, that sounds great You can buzz the vineyards on frosty mornings doing that
Old Jan 20th 2010, 9:03 pm
Just Joined

lapis lazuli is an unknown quantity at this point

Helicopter training? Wow. Sounds good to me!

If Neil can do railways and mickey_d can do CAD design, you could team up and start a rollercoaster firm :P

Seriously though, is there a job you've always fancied trying?

Last edited by lapis lazuli; Jan 20th 2010 at 10:50 pm. Reason: post made more constructive
Old Jan 20th 2010, 11:11 pm
Busy Again

bdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of light

Cranes, Conveyors, Cable reels, Cable Chains, Safety Ladders, Fall Arrest Systems.
Hey that maybe a idea for me
i used to inspect Safety ladders / Fall Arresters
along with Harnesses. Life jackets etc and i have had Manual Handling training working at Heights / Confined spaces / high pressure jetting etc etc
just need to know how to market it all now ??
and I cant get a job here ?
Old Jan 20th 2010, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by strawbie
We'll be in Christchurch in March and my hubby wants to do his helicopter lessons!! Always wanted to do it, must be a bloke thing!!!

We might get a discount for 2