Reload this Page >

Need Help - Quick re Flights!

Need Help - Quick re Flights!

Old Feb 14th 2009, 5:25 pm
Just Joined

rl1986 will become famous soon enough
Default Need Help - Quick re Flights!

Hi All,

I am about to book my flights to NZ, me & my family are doing the risky route of going over to NZ without Visa, then getting work over there - we do have family to stay with though! Have 3 Q's that i need answering-
1)Basically, on a 6 month normal holiday stamp visa do i HAVE to book return flights or can i just do one way?

2) if i book it to return in say 5-6 months can i then cancel & get money back it if i get a visa?

3)Does anyone know the cheapest combi of flights - return 2,3,4,5 or 6 month etc??

Thank you sooooo much in advance!
Old Feb 14th 2009, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need Help - Quick re Flights!

Hi.

1) We did this in June 2007, and yes without a valid visa to stay in the country for work/study you will have to possess a flight ticket for you all to leave New Zealand. You will have problems at Check-in if you don't have either a return ticket or an onward flight ticket (say to Australia).

2) I don't know of any airlines that will refund an unused return flight ticket.

3) Flight costs vary throughout the year so you're better to just research them all like crazy.

Good luck

Michelle
Old Feb 14th 2009, 10:24 pm
Citizenships collector...

urbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of light

Hiya,

Yes a return or onward flight is mandatory without the correct visa. The airline will not let you board unless you've got those.

You could get a refund on an unused ticket, depending on what the conditions on the ticket are. You may not be able to book those online so I'd contact airlines and/or travel agents to see what they recommend. The airline will definitely be able to tell you for sure in any case.

Seeing the economic situation at the moment, some airlines have heaps of specials to fill their planes up so you may be able to get a deal on flights closer to the time you want to travel...but I'd always recommend booking in advance to avoid any hassles

Good luck,

Jen

Originally Posted by rl1986
Hi All,

I am about to book my flights to NZ, me & my family are doing the risky route of going over to NZ without Visa, then getting work over there - we do have family to stay with though! Have 3 Q's that i need answering-
1)Basically, on a 6 month normal holiday stamp visa do i HAVE to book return flights or can i just do one way?

2) if i book it to return in say 5-6 months can i then cancel & get money back it if i get a visa?

3)Does anyone know the cheapest combi of flights - return 2,3,4,5 or 6 month etc??

Old Feb 15th 2009, 9:06 pm
Stoke City fanatic

nelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rl1986
Hi All,

We did this and tried to get money back on flights once we had visas. Had to pay a fee and then the airline made us an offer on our tickets, which was less then half wat we thought they were worth. So in the end we had a holiday in the UK bout 10 months after arriving here and just brought couple of 1 way tickets from UK. Was nice to see friendsagain and made us more sure that we were right to stay in NZ.
Darren
Old Feb 17th 2009, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

This is easy. If you buy a fully refundable one-way ticket from say AKL to SYD on the Air NZ website it is exactly that - fully refundable. Buy it for a month after you are due to arrive in AKL, then once you are safely through immigration, go online and cancel your booking. You will get a full refund, no charges, no questions, provided you had bought the most expensive class of economy ticket. The only downside is you will have a charge on your credit card for the period between booking and cancelling - but this needn't be more than a few days.
I have done this so I know it works
Fare rules are here