Need help!

Old May 5th 2006, 11:25 pm
Just Joined

royalsfans is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Need help!

Hey there everyone !
have posted a couple of tentative messages so far, really need any info on specific first hand experiences. We are looking to move to BOP, gisbourne,Hawkes bay areas but having never been to NZ (definitely want north island so any info on any areas will be very welcome ) really need some good honest factual info on areas to avoid and or good areas to start,

We have done MANY MANY hours of research, and are certainly not going into this move blind.We have realistic expectations and know that we are going to have to work to achieve the lifestyle that we want but truly feel that we can achieve it in NZ more than we can in UK. We have been thinking about it for well over a year, we are certainly well committed. BUT, if anyone can give us first hand constructive advise. It would be well appreciated.

We are a family of 4 two kiddies 4 &10. Very successful Automotive background (himself!) varied employment, currently management level (myself) I'm hoping not to work till youngest in full time school.

We are using a company to get visas etc and really need help to see if we can manage the whole relocation thing ourselves (as they are not cheap either ) I'm concerned that the info we get to read is flowered up and reads like a used car sales pitch, holiday brochure type thing ! you know ! For example : i currently live in the midlands and the brochure will tell you its a great place to visit ! its robin hood country .................Bla Bla Bla .........................
BUT ...........
I live here and cant wait to leave !!
So to all the people who are living there, doing it living the dream!!! as we speak !!!! please give honest answers.!

As i said before , we really dont expect to fly all that way and find all the answers to all our problems, but have a heart and if there was anything that you can pass on to me please do ! we are totally Shi**@@g it as well as really ready for the move. It seems that every waking hour is spent either thinking , researching, or planning our move to NZ.Our hearts have not been in the UK for ages now, and we are soooooooooo impatient we want to be there now, trying it out for ourselves.

Had it been just the two of us we would have been there now, but we have the boys to think of so, again please any info or useful links please bombard me with. I want to hit the ground running when i land.!!

So guys & gals thanks in advance, i look forward to your response!!

Jem
Old May 5th 2006, 11:38 pm
Forum Regular

Herm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant future
Default Re: Need help!

Originally Posted by royalsfans
Hey there everyone !

Jem

Have been living in the BOP for 6 years now and had lots of ups and downs so difficult to know where to start - do you have any specific questions you need answering?

Cheers
Martin
Old May 5th 2006, 11:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Herm
Have been living in the BOP for 6 years now and had lots of ups and downs so difficult to know where to start - do you have any specific questions you need answering?

Cheers
Martin
Hi Martin

Yes ! specifically i want you to be my magic fairy and tell me where to live where the good jobs and schools are,and come over to the UK and help me scrape every last inch of UK dirt and soil of everything in my garage !!

But on a serious note. if its ok with you, i will address Mr Royalsfan (in morning as its ten to one am here! ) and come back with more specifics. As i really do feel that guidance is needed.

And as you have lived in the areas we are most interested in I would love to chat to you more..
Old May 6th 2006, 12:04 am
Forum Regular

Herm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant future

Hi Martin

.....and help me scrape every last inch of UK dirt and soil of everything in my garage !!

I've done that and I never want to do it again

But on a serious note. if its ok with you, i will address Mr Royalsfan (in morning as its ten to one am here! ) and come back with more specifics. As i really do feel that guidance is needed.

And as you have lived in the areas we are most interested in I would love to chat to you more..
No probs - Happy to share our experiences, good and bad, PM me if its easier.
Old May 6th 2006, 8:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Frenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Need help!

Hey there everyone !
have posted a couple of tentative messages so far, really need any info on specific first hand experiences. We are looking to move to BOP, gisbourne,Hawkes bay areas but having never been to NZ (definitely want north island so any info on any areas will be very welcome ) really need some good honest factual info on areas to avoid and or good areas to start,

We have done MANY MANY hours of research, and are certainly not going into this move blind.We have realistic expectations and know that we are going to have to work to achieve the lifestyle that we want but truly feel that we can achieve it in NZ more than we can in UK. We have been thinking about it for well over a year, we are certainly well committed. BUT, if anyone can give us first hand constructive advise. It would be well appreciated.

We are a family of 4 two kiddies 4 &10. Very successful Automotive background (himself!) varied employment, currently management level (myself) I'm hoping not to work till youngest in full time school.

We are using a company to get visas etc and really need help to see if we can manage the whole relocation thing ourselves (as they are not cheap either ) I'm concerned that the info we get to read is flowered up and reads like a used car sales pitch, holiday brochure type thing ! you know ! For example : i currently live in the midlands and the brochure will tell you its a great place to visit ! its robin hood country .................Bla Bla Bla .........................
BUT ...........
So to all the people who are living there, doing it living the dream!!! as we speak !!!! please give honest answers.!

As i said before , we really dont expect to fly all that way and find all the answers to all our problems, but have a heart and if there was anything that you can pass on to me please do ! we are totally Shi**@@g it as well as really ready for the move. It seems that every waking hour is spent either thinking , researching, or planning our move to NZ.Our hearts have not been in the UK for ages now, and we are soooooooooo impatient we want to be there now, trying it out for ourselves.

Had it been just the two of us we would have been there now, but we have the boys to think of so, again please any info or useful links please bombard me with. I want to hit the ground running when i land.!!

Jem
Hi Jem,
We to are Midlanders with hubby in automotive and aviation background (ex Land Rover development currently Rolls Royce). Myself Nurse Educator. If I can be of any help pm me. We did a 3 week reccie in Feb and came back having loved Bay of Plenty (Tauranga area). Lots of jobs for both of us. We also like Auckland, especially North Shore, Orewa etc....
It really depends WHAT sort of priorities you have for us it is
Jobs
Schools
Beach life
Weather
Nearby shops (14 yr old daughter and 12 yr old son)
Hubby does not really want to go back to spanners and would like to look at service management type role or stay in aircraft.
We have recently become drawn to North of the South Island, Nelson, Blenheim area. That is mainly due to the presence of 'safe air' aircraft engineering company. Also THE WEATHER (most sunshine hours and least rain).
Schools in Tauranga seemed fab, we visited many senior schools on our reccie and they all seemed great, cant speak for infant and primary.
My OH dreams of setting up an off road driving centre as that his hobby and passion, but that is such a big gamble. I have to say if I were you with children fairly young I would certainly look at renting for a while and having a good look round to make sure you have chosen a 'Good area'.
How far are you with the immigration process?
Good luck with whatever you decide it is a really beautifully country!
Old May 6th 2006, 8:57 pm
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jem - sounds like you've got your head screwed on. We moved to NZ because it was in our 'heart' - you sound similar.

We're on the Kapiti Coast just above Welly and love it here. It has all that our family could want (3 kids 7 and under).

Where is best for you.........Hmmmmmmm don't have that magic wand I'm afraid!
Choices we made were:
Urban, rural, semi rural?
How near to major city/work?
Do I want to change my line of work? (Which I now have)
Coastal / Inland?
Property prices & what can I afford (Not Auckland!)

Once we had chosen Waikanae, it was then looking at schools, facilities, playgrounds, kindys, etc etc.
You know you have to make these choices yourselves - there are gorgeous bits all over NZ - there are also some not particularly nice ones! (Round here for example I wouldn't recommend anyone going to Porirua)

Once you've made that decision then I guess people can help you with specifics.

Good luck!
Old May 6th 2006, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there
good luck with your researching
when we first looked at coming out here we were set on Tauranga - family there, spent some time there on holiday. Then our family there decided that they were going to look at alternatives - whilst Tauranga is lovely they felt that with 2 young children the future for them could be better elsewhere - this opened up the whole country for us and we started to consider other options. We are now in christchurch which we love - reasons for choice:

we had no jobs set up and wanted to be where opportunities would be (hubby auto mechanic, me healthcare) so needed to consider 1 of the big 3 - didn't want / couldn't afford Auckland, wasn't struck too much by welly when we visited, chch seemed to have lots going for it - less rain / more sun, close to beach, close to ski fields, full range of areas to live from central city to suburbs, lots of choice re: schools etc.

we've been here 6 months and have no regrets.
Vicki
Old May 7th 2006, 6:56 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

Hi we have been here a month, with 2 kids (4 & 2) love it so far, yet to find rental so you may try to sort that out before you come , we're staying with friends. we picked kapiti coast before we came, checked it out when we arrived & love it. I used the decile ratings as a indicatin for schools but you can read the reports some where. You can also find a school zoning map on the net (schoolzones.co.nz). we like you had never been before, we did loads of research too which was good. we haven't come with rose coloured glasses which seem to help.
you'll find loads of advice on here.
good luck

Hey there everyone !

BUT ...........

Jem
Old May 7th 2006, 11:15 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by poppets
Hi we have been here a month, with 2 kids (4 & 2) love it so far, yet to find rental so you may try to sort that out before you come , we're staying with friends. we picked kapiti coast before we came, checked it out when we arrived & love it. I used the decile ratings as a indicatin for schools but you can read the reports some where. You can also find a school zoning map on the net (schoolzones.co.nz). we like you had never been before, we did loads of research too which was good. we haven't come with rose coloured glasses which seem to help.
you'll find loads of advice on here.
good luck

thanks for that lads and lasses, eveything you say is really helpfull and really appreciated. Keep it coming !!
Old May 7th 2006, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

brackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud of

we've been over to nz 2ce, the 2nd time after we got our pr. we are setteling in wellington, i do have a nephew who lives there so it will make things a little easier. it is a beautiful city, even though it is the capitol you can be out in breathtaking views within 15 minutes, its a city that youcan easily find yhour way around and has welcoming homely feel to it. karori, is where we will live, karori normal school is a good primary school and they were very helpful when we went to see them, my daughter cant wait to go there, wellington girls collage for my eldest is one of the best schools to go to they had very good pass rates this year. take your time and have a good look round before deciding where you want to be. good luck
Old May 8th 2006, 7:02 pm
Just Joined

Allportfamily is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey there everyone !

BUT ...........

Jem
Hi,
New to this dont know if I have done it right. We are thinking of making the big move to NZ have never been but it sure look like it beets the hell out of the UK. Biggest problem is we dont know where to start. How we can get in, wether or not we score enough points etc or should we just sell up and visit for a few months and look to buy a business. Any help you can offer would be great and if you receive any good advice please would you pass it on. I dont do limbo very well so would want to get on with it! My email is <<Email address removed for privacy>>and msn addy is the same for any advice thanks in advance Tracey Keith & Lucy (age 11)

<<Admin Edit - It is not wise to post your email address on a public forum. It may get picked up by spammers and you will then become inundated with spam>>

Last edited by Sue; May 9th 2006 at 12:33 am. Reason: Email address removed.