Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Need a good job site - the ones posted in "Links" won't do

Need a good job site - the ones posted in "Links" won't do

Old Feb 12th 2007, 5:38 am
Forum Regular

jgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nice
Default Need a good job site - the ones posted in "Links" won't do

I went through the list of NZ job sites listed in the Links section of british expats. Of the sites that would handle software engineering positions, none of them had a mechanism for posting a cv for recruiters to search.

I know the recommendation has always been to get the green card, then look for the job. I don't want the risk of paying $1k or whatever it is to apply for a green card, and then potentially run into difficulties. My approach right now is to publish my cv on as many NZ sites as practical, and hope for the off chance that a recruiter finds me and the employer is willing to sponsor the green card. I should at least try to get the best most convenient immigration deal possible first, since I'm in no hurry.

So I need recommendations for NZ job sites, particularly those tailored for software engineers. I can't be sloppy about it though, because I don't want someone to google my name and get my resume. I intend to limit myself to sites that are secure enough to only disclose the resume to employers.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 6:04 am
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Need a good job site - the ones posted in "Links" won't do

Hello, and welcome to the NZ patch of the site.
I guess my only comment is that NZ is a country with only 4 million people, there will not be a huge number of companies out there that do the work that you are interested in, and there certainly won't be many agencies.
I guess google might be your friend, as you are wanting quite specific information. It won't be like jobhunting in the UK or US for example, as the small population means that you will have fewer places to send your cv.

I can however say that a friend of mine is a hardware engineer and after two months here in NZ has found a contract with a good company here in Christchurch, but he took quite a bit of time to network on the ground here before it happened.

Hopefully someone else here might have more helpful advice than me
Good luck!

Last edited by Apple12; Feb 12th 2007 at 6:18 am.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 5:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jgombos
I went through the list of NZ job sites listed in the Links section of british expats. Of the sites that would handle software engineering positions, none of them had a mechanism for posting a cv for recruiters to search.

I know the recommendation has always been to get the green card, then look for the job. I don't want the risk of paying $1k or whatever it is to apply for a green card, and then potentially run into difficulties. My approach right now is to publish my cv on as many NZ sites as practical, and hope for the off chance that a recruiter finds me and the employer is willing to sponsor the green card. I should at least try to get the best most convenient immigration deal possible first, since I'm in no hurry.

So I need recommendations for NZ job sites, particularly those tailored for software engineers. I can't be sloppy about it though, because I don't want someone to google my name and get my resume. I intend to limit myself to sites that are secure enough to only disclose the resume to employers.
Hi,
if you want to pay for a package, the job and settlement you can go through a recruitment agency that do it all for you. Chrysalis Recruitment are good.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 7:11 pm
Memetchi

cypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jgombos
Use http://www.seek.co.nz , which is the main job site for IT jobs.
Old Feb 13th 2007, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

jgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nice

Originally Posted by Apple12
I guess my only comment is that NZ is a country with only 4 million people, there will not be a huge number of companies out there that do the work that you are interested in, and there certainly won't be many agencies.
I figured it would be difficult to find something, especially when I've specialized in a rare programming language (Ada). I did notice that NZ loosens the immigration qualifications for java developers (as well as developers in a handful of other languages), so that's a clue that there is a national shortage of programmers.
Originally Posted by cypherpunk
Use http://www.seek.co.nz , which is the main job site for IT jobs.
That's a good site; thanks. I forgot about that one. I thought that site used to appear in the links section of this site, but they seem to have removed it.