Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

In need of ears to chew

In need of ears to chew

Old Jun 29th 2007, 9:55 am
Just Joined

Dren is an unknown quantity at this point
Default In need of ears to chew

Hi everyone, just been reading a few threads and this seems to be the right place to go to get good advice. My partner and myself are currently looking into moving over to nz, we've made a few inquiries and so far so good. We're still trying to gather as much info as poss before we commit 100%. We are a family of 6, Stephanie (my partner) and children Morgan 11, Samuel 8, Niamh 7 and Millie-Mae 2. We currently live in the Midlands. So if anyone has any advice (good or bad) it would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 10:15 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: In need of ears to chew

Hello there family of six. I would think a largish house would be high on your list (what with all those youngsters of yours).
What sort of line of work are you in?
Old Jun 29th 2007, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

KIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really nice

hi dren and family

welcome to the site, there is always someone on here who can answer your questions.

what kind of visa are you going to apply for?? and where abouts are you looking to live??

with regards

kirstie
Old Jun 29th 2007, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

JoandDean has a spectacular aura aboutJoandDean has a spectacular aura aboutJoandDean has a spectacular aura about

Hi

Just wanted to say welcome to the site.

We've used an agency for the visas but if I'd have known about this site sooner I'd have given it go myself, everyone on here is so helpful and any problems/questions you have I'm sure someone will know the answers.

Jo x
Old Jun 29th 2007, 8:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Hello & welcome to the large brood.
NZ is child friendly where ever you go, so the kids will have a ball.
Old Jun 30th 2007, 12:34 am
Account Closed

AnnieNell is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome to the site. Start asking away, we'll do what we can
Old Jun 30th 2007, 6:42 pm
Just Joined

Wow, I didn't expect so many replies. Things are still in the early stages as we're still working out what will be best. I work with children in a custodial setting and have been assured that finding work shouldn't be too much of a problem. My better half works with the elderly, but we're hoping to initially set up on just my wage so her wage will be a bonus. As I say everything is still at the early stages. Could anyone tell me the differences between north and south island and what advice would people give about using an agency?
Old Jun 30th 2007, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

JoandDean has a spectacular aura aboutJoandDean has a spectacular aura aboutJoandDean has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Dren
Could anyone tell me the differences between north and south island and what advice would people give about using an agency?
Hi Dren

We've used an agency and whilst they are quite expensive I have got no complaints what so ever of the service we have received. They are always there on the other end of the phone when I've needed to check something or have a moan, our agent is really good. We received our ITA on Thursday and it is going to be submitted on Monday, they couldn't do it Friday because of the postal strike.

We used one as we have two young children and I didn't think I would have the time or be able to sort the paperwork out as I thought it was more complex than it actually is, now I know more about the process I would probably give it a go myself. Most people on here are doing it themselves so any questions you may have I'm sure someone will have the answers!

Jo x

Last edited by JoandDean; Jun 30th 2007 at 8:44 pm. Reason: missed word out
Old Jun 30th 2007, 8:57 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Wow, I didn't expect so many replies. Things are still in the early stages as we're still working out what will be best. I work with children in a custodial setting and have been assured that finding work shouldn't be too much of a problem.
Child Youth and Family Services (CYFS), a government agency, seem to have permanent vacancy announcements. Here are some examples of job vacancy notices:
http://www.jobs.govt.nz/jobs/default...ration&Page=12

My better half works with the elderly, but we're hoping to initially set up on just my wage so her wage will be a bonus.
A former student of mine, who is from Argentina, worked as an aide to the elderly. The pay isn't particularly flash so it is something you should look on it as more as a bonus than for support.
As I say everything is still at the early stages. Could anyone tell me the differences between north and south island
Both islands have huge areas of stunning physical beauty. The western areas of both islands have more precipitation than the eastern sides. The North Island tends to be warmer in winter while on both islands the summer temps are fairly uniform, mid to upper twenties.
The South Island has about a million people, the North Island three million. Yeah, traveling around the country you'll notice that this is not a crowded country.
...and what advice would people give about using an agency?
If you mean an immigration agency I would suggest that unless you have unusual circumstances I'd say save your money and do it yourself. The agents will have you do all the hard yakka collecting forms and documents and they basically just fill in the forms. Save your money.
If you are talking about a job agency I really can't help you there as I've never used one. I've always got jobs by just showing up and knocking on doors. Your situation might be different.

I hope this has been of some help. If not, I'm sure that there are others that could chip in with some info you could use.

All the best and I hope it works out for you.

Last edited by happynz; Jun 30th 2007 at 9:02 pm.
Old Jun 30th 2007, 10:51 pm
Cornish Lass

Marika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to behold

Hi there,
welcome to the site, hope you find it as useful as I have when needing to find out info about locations, jobs, schools, shipping and just about everything really.
We have used a recruitment agency, as it worked out cheaper financially, than going to NZ to source employment ourselves. Can give you details if you would like them. They get you a job with an accredited employer and help you out with your Visa application too and also keep in touch with you when you start your employment in N.Z.
Hope this helps
Marika
Old Jul 1st 2007, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the excellent advice, it's certainly given us a lot to mull over. Still pretty sure I will go with an agency to sort out paperwork and stuff, I do enough paperwork at work. Another quick question if I may, at what point is it best to start the ball rolling on selling my property and how easy is it to get a mortgage in NZ when you first get out there?
Old Jul 1st 2007, 5:55 pm

I don't think it is all that difficult to get a mortgage here, although the interest rates may rock you back on your heels. I think they are around 9-10%.

As far as when to sell your house...hmmmm, that's always a curly one. I'll defer on answering that. Too many variables and 'what ifs'.

All the best.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 10:33 pm
Account Closed

AnnieNell is an unknown quantity at this point

We found that going to a NZ expo was very useful. Next ones will probably be in Oct though. They are usually held in London & Manchester. There are smaller ones around the country though. Good Luck
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

hi dren........jacky g here ,your head will be spinning for the next few weeks.its only taken us 8 weeks from start to finish and we fly out on 17 july.we signed up for rental for first year as we wanted to make sure we were in the right area for us as a family before we decided to buy.this forum has been fantastic for us and we probably would have been divorced buy now if it wasnt for the great advice from every one,anything you need to know youl find out about on this forum,its wonderful going through the move with everyone as seeing them reaching there goals gl to you and your family. jacky