Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Need any help from Dunedin based.

Need any help from Dunedin based.

Old Apr 2nd 2006, 7:10 am
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute
Default Need any help from Dunedin based.

Anyone looking for help or advice on the Otago area Dunedin SI, give me a bell.

Have been here since May last year and love the place, we are a family of 3 and came from Poole Dorset South coast of UK.

If you want to be close to all you ever want in life , good city all amenities, wildlife, a chance to have no Mortgage, wonderful scenery, awesome surf, rain forests close by and Queenstown only 3 hrs away .

The the south would be good for you.

Nige and familly Dunedin and loving it.
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 8:25 am
livewire

Default Re: Need any help from Dunedin based.

Hi Fooferfish and welcome to British Expats, you'll find this a much more friendlier forum than some you are used to. Your advice will be well received here.

Old Apr 2nd 2006, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Fooferfish]Anyone looking for help or advice on the Otago area Dunedin SI, give me a bell.

I'm keen to know what the weather is like down there and how would you compare it with Southern England. What's the range of temperatures to the seasons. Just gathering info at this stage.
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 1:51 am
Forum Regular

CWEMM02 is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=Boopy]
Originally Posted by Fooferfish

I'm keen to know what the weather is like down there and how would you compare it with Southern England. What's the range of temperatures to the seasons. Just gathering info at this stage.
I would like to know anything you can tell me about Dunedin too. By the way Boopy, we have our immigration interview on the 3rd at 3pm your time. I will send you a note when I get home from work at my lunch time, after work for you.

I would just wonder how isolated one might feel in Dunedin. I don't necessarily mind for myself, but I wonder about my wife. I would have a good time anywhere and I like the quiet.
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 3:56 am
Just Joined

dunedindan will become famous soon enoughdunedindan will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=Boopy]

hi we moved out to dunedin on the 15th dec from wigan UK so cant comment on what the weather is like compared to southern england but it has up to now been a lot better than northern england (and better than a lot of people said it would be before we came over, so dont believe everything you hear especially if it is from people on the north island) we are into autumn here and its still warm enough for the beach.
the town is lovelly and has everything you need, good beaches, some fantastic scenery and friendly people.
the house prices seem reasonable a good 3/4 bedroom house in nice area for the equivalent of 100thousand pounds
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 6:52 am
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute

If the weather is an issue to you and you want heat and lots of sun then go to OZ !!! but here its been a lot drier than the NI and the winter last year was very mild, hardly if any frost as we are coastal , and some places in Otago like Alexandra get up to late 38 deg and have been over 40 some years, just think you can build sand castles in the morning in Dunedin and only 3 hrs away and you can throw snowballs in Alp conditions and ski in the afternoon, where esle in the world can you do that in one day !!

Dunedin is a good size town and i havn't been in a traffic jam since we arrived , if you get more than 4 cars in front of you at traffic lights then thats about it !! built on a natual amphitheater where most hopuse get a view of the harbour, or built that dream home by the sea in a coastal village, Seals and penguins at your feet, the list is endless of what you can do here, one of the best Uni's in the world, about 20k students turn up each year which livens the town up abit, cafes all over the place, surf beaches, i cant there is nearly always something going on in town, festivals etc, kids go to school on their bikes at 3/7 yeasr old on theri own, play out safe, schools have no security gates like UK did, proper play equipment.

We have bouth an ex state house wiuth views front and back of the sea and harbour, a stepping stone for us but one which we bought outright, no mortgage or debt, the result of coming down south , if we wne to NI Auckland etc then we would have been no better off than we were in UK, so what would the point be ?? We have cash $$ to enjoy our new life with , go out most weekends and explore gravel tracks in the bush in the 4x4 to see where they go, drive on the beaches and have aBBQ without being done by the council or cops, freedom, but if you like bling and really posh houses then dont copme here.

People dont give a toss about designer clothes , their house could be falling down but they will have aboat or, horse osr satilite dish, all the things to enjoy themselves with, most dont give a monkeys about how their houses look, and quite alot havn't got the money to paint them with either, so there are lots of good things about NZ and bad things to, but after a while you just chill and go with the flow, and alot of things go over your head after a while LOL.

Thats all for now,

Nige and family loving the southern life. [QUOTE=dunedindan]
Originally Posted by Boopy
hi we moved out to dunedin on the 15th dec from wigan UK so cant comment on what the weather is like compared to southern england but it has up to now been a lot better than northern england (and better than a lot of people said it would be before we came over, so dont believe everything you hear especially if it is from people on the north island) we are into autumn here and its still warm enough for the beach.
the town is lovelly and has everything you need, good beaches, some fantastic scenery and friendly people.
the house prices seem reasonable a good 3/4 bedroom house in nice area for the equivalent of 100thousand pounds
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 7:18 am
Dorset to Dunedin

Dunedin from Mt Cargill only a bit of it.

Feeding the locals after a fishing trip
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Fooferfish]If the weather is an issue to you and you want heat and lots of sun then go to OZ !!!

The weather is no issue, just want plenty of info about NZ. Coming from NE England I obviously want warmer, drier and less grey, not extremely hot and dry.
Old Apr 4th 2006, 5:47 am
Dorset to Dunedin

Sorry but i hear so many ask about the weather, the sun here is extremely hot and can burn you very quickly, in Central of SI it gets upto 40 deg some years, but the wintyer can be dry and warm and when the sun comes out the days are nice and still, you get quite abit of wind as NZ is oceanic and coastal, so the wind around Nov/Dec can bea bit of a pain, but these months are quite still, you still get seasons down here and the odd dump of snow , which is great for the kids, dont get to many frosts, but in central they get Haw frosts, andf freezing temps, there are some areas around Dunners that have a micro climate and are few degreses warmer than town.

We used to live on the south coast Poole, and the winter there has been colder and wetter than here. But if you want warmer climes and higher house prices then go North, Nelson and Blenheim get the best weather, at the moment the whole SI is experiencing a dry year and the resovoirs are very low.

|Come without rose coloured specs and you will be fine, leave all your aeires and grases behind and you will do well. [QUOTE=Boopy]
If the weather is an issue to you and you want heat and lots of sun then go to OZ !!!

The weather is no issue, just want plenty of info about NZ. Coming from NE England I obviously want warmer, drier and less grey, not extremely hot and dry.