British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Need advice re. Manukau Area (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/need-advice-re-manukau-area-683043/)

galaxy1978 Aug 27th 2010 8:42 pm

Need advice re. Manukau Area

Hi Everyone.

I am looking for somewhere nice to live in the Manukau area that will be suitable for a young single person. I would ideally like to live near to other expats too but I am aware that most brits end up on North Shore.

I am trying to find somewhere, where there are places to go and things to do such as bars/pubs, shopping, supermarkets and a gym.

I believe there are some iffy areas, so I need some advice if possible.

The employment opportunity I have is in Otara so somewhere thats about 30 minutes travelling distance by car would be good.

Your input on this is most appreciated, or if you could direct me to where I can find out information would be great too.

dorrick Aug 27th 2010 10:43 pm

Re: Need advice re. Manukau Area

Hi, Otara is easilyaccessible from the Southern motorway which will allow you a lot of leeway. Traffic is mainly going towards the city in the morning, so you would be against the traffic if you live nearer the city which I would advise. Going south is more suburban. Definitely stick south of the harbour bridge though- it is a nightmare in the morning.
Depending on your budget, and if you are happy with apartment living, I would advise Newmarket or even the City for night-life. Ponsonby,Kingsland, Mt Eden also close to city night life with bigger selection of property types. Eastern beaches Mission Bay, Kohi etc also good - not too far from motorway.
Wouldn't recommend Otara itself for living - but lots of nice suburbs close to Otara - Howick , Botany etc but much more suburban style of living
All these are under 30 mins drive. Google map is great - just type in the suburb and Otara in 'get directions' - this will give the driving time.
Flat hunting: Trademe.co.nz, Gumtree.com - change to NZ page, www.auckland-suburb-guide.co.nz[

Good luck
PS expats of every colour and creed live all over Auckland

galaxy1978 Aug 27th 2010 10:45 pm

Ah thanks for that, so if I was live in the Auckland City area, it should only take me abou 30 minutes to Otara? yes?

dorrick Aug 28th 2010 12:13 am

City is only about 20 km from Otara
According to google map:
Kingsland to Otara - 18 mins via Southern motorway
Ponsonby to Otara - 20 mins via Southern motorway
Newmarket to Otara - 15 mins via Southern motorway
Howick to Otara - 20 mins - not motorway, that's why it is longer
Mission Bay to Otara - 23 mins via Southern motorway

-but maybe allow a bit more for each - guess it depends how far from the motorway at the Otara end you will be - certainly manageable - however, having said that, Auckland traffic is unbelievably variable. I live close to work and it can take anything from 8 mins (norm) to 20 mins on the odd occasion
Would recommend very short term accommodation initially and have a look at what suits when you get here as these places are quite different, they are not the cheapest end of the market but plenty at the cheap end accessible to otara too - as I said better to look see but you have plenty of options - only draw back you really do need a car in Auckland
Cheers

galaxy1978 Aug 28th 2010 1:08 pm

Thank you, I dont suppose you have an idea of whats a good yearly salarly out there? and the rough monthly costs of household bills?

dorrick Aug 29th 2010 5:37 am

Hi again, best to ask this on the general forum where there is a wide range of experience from new arrivals. Lots of information on there too.
Being older (heaps) with different outgoings I am probably not the best person to answer this. I am really an imposter - been here for years but my son and daughter have both been in London for 6 years and I am keeping abreast of the pros and cons of coming back to NZ so I can counter any arguments they have about staying in UK. They were encouraged to go but not meant to stay!! I keep pointing out that all the people on here want to come to NZ. Good luck with your plans