Native Birds

Old Sep 12th 2007, 9:44 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Native Birds

I just went out in the garden to get the dog to come in and there's a Morepork calling from one of the trees.

I think that's really cool - they're beautiful little birds and I didn't expect to hear one in the wild!

http://www.wingspan.co.nz/morepork.html

I also didn't realise how rare they were!
Old Sep 12th 2007, 1:01 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Native Birds

They're so beautiful! I want to see one! I love owls in general and cannot wait to get immersed properly in all the native stuff.
Old Sep 12th 2007, 1:07 pm
ned
BE Enthusiast

ned is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nice

I can see that my Observers Book of Birds is going to be no good then
Old Sep 12th 2007, 1:18 pm
ned
BE Enthusiast

ned is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nice

There is a Collins Guide though but
Old Sep 12th 2007, 8:01 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Heard on the news that first Godwits have arrived. These champion little battlers leave Alaska and fly nonstop to New Zealand for their Antipodean summer feeding grounds. Then come March or April they turn around and fly off to Alaska.
These little birds aren't swimmers so there is no floating about on their trans-Pacific fight. Amazing creatures!

Old Sep 12th 2007, 8:13 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happynz
Heard on the news that first Godwits have arrived. These champion little battlers leave Alaska and fly nonstop to New Zealand for their Antipodean summer feeding grounds. Then come March or April they turn around and fly off to Alaska.
These little birds aren't swimmers so there is no floating about on their trans-Pacific fight. Amazing creatures!

I was just reading about the godwit yesterday on the Beeb's website: Link. Amazing little birdies!
Old Sep 12th 2007, 8:38 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz
They're so beautiful! I want to see one! I love owls in general and cannot wait to get immersed properly in all the native stuff.

The Nga Manu nature reserve in Waikanae where we went last weekend has three. I freaked one of them out when I walked past its cage and it panicked and flew around in circles.

It soon settled down and gave me an owly stare!
Old Sep 12th 2007, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

I recommend the Native Encounters at Auckland Zoo about 2pm. They have a Morepork fly over the audience - gorgeous little bird.

We have one in our garden - they're very territorial, so if you hear it again in your garden, you can pretty much guarantee it's the same bird.

My personal favourite is the fantail - cheeky little birds that cannot fly in a straight line if their life depended on it and sound like polystyrene rubbed on glass.
Old Sep 12th 2007, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

We have one that sits near our house at night too
Old Sep 12th 2007, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

Lucky you! I think the only time I've heard them is in the Bay of Islands.
Old Sep 12th 2007, 11:54 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Did you see a morepork in tawa? Awesome! You know that you can also see native woodpigeon called kereru around Redwood and Tawa?
They are quite cool too. Big hulking birds and you wonder how in the world they get off the ground to fly.

But my favourite is the humble little fantail
Old Sep 13th 2007, 1:33 am
Happy in Wellington

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess
Did you see a morepork in tawa? Awesome! You know that you can also see native woodpigeon called kereru around Redwood and Tawa?
They are quite cool too. Big hulking birds and you wonder how in the world they get off the ground to fly.

But my favourite is the humble little fantail

We get kereu quite often. Loads of tuis and silvereyes (waxeyes)

I love the fantails too but the cats are a bit too fascinated by them.
Old Sep 13th 2007, 2:40 am
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold

I love the tui. Its's song is beautiful
Old Sep 13th 2007, 3:01 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

I saw a South Island fantail a couple of weeks ago.

I didn't realise there was a variation until I came home and looked it up. They are black all over.

The other one I think is cute is the New Zealand robin,; very tiny
Old Sep 13th 2007, 3:25 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

They had a thing last night on the news about cyclists being attacked by magpies. One bloke has come up with a novel solution. He wears a mask of himself strapped on the back of his bike helmet. He claims the birds won't attack people that are looking at them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.