Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

National voters.....nice one!

National voters.....nice one!

Old Dec 2nd 2011, 5:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: National voters.....nice one!

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
Received an email today....contents.

In what must be a record for broken promises, National have on Day 1 of government delivered a letter to Forest and Bird that they will renege on their promise of public consultation before allowing mining on public conservation land. Denniston will be mined, without the public having a say.
I told Kate she was a turnip voting for them!! In the end I got off my arse and voted green (as I was alarmed I would not have been allowed to moan about politicians for 3 years!) as they are the only party on earth I have any kind of alignment with value wise.

Hey ho, as I have mooted they are all pretty much useless and in the end all pretty much out just for themselves and thier own agendas. They do not give a stuff about us. I wonder how far right Justcol voted?
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
I told Kate she was a turnip voting for them!! In the end I got off my arse and voted green (as I was alarmed I would not have been allowed to moan about politicians for 3 years!) as they are the only party on earth I have any kind of alignment with value wise.

Hey ho, as I have mooted they are all pretty much useless and in the end all pretty much out just for themselves and thier own agendas. They do not give a stuff about us. I wonder how far right Justcol voted?
Genesis - she must have fallen for John's charm lol....
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 5:12 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clappy
The trouble with leaving all that stuff in the ground is that when all the resources have run out elsewhere, someone with bigger guns will turn up and take it off us.

Take the money now I say!
They already are, are you feeling any richer for it?

This is a link to all the active mines in Australia and they haven't even scratched the surface here yet. You'll need Google Earth to view it

http://www.australianminesatlas.gov....ting_Mines.kmz
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
I wonder how far right Justcol voted?
Mana party...not that its any of your business

Last edited by Justcol; Dec 3rd 2011 at 10:19 am.
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 10:23 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
Received an email today....contents.

In what must be a record for broken promises, National have on Day 1 of government delivered a letter to Forest and Bird that they will renege on their promise of public consultation before allowing mining on public conservation land. Denniston will be mined, without the public having a say.
and did we expect anything different from the smiling assassin and his cronies.
Can't see it getting any better to be honest.
Perhaps we should press for a citizen's invoked reffurendum asking for NZ to become another state of Aus......? We are pretty close and it could be mutually beneficial. Then all the nasty stuff could be done over the ditch whilst we look after yoghurt, butter, cheese and possum handbags??
Of course National would oppose it.

http://nzstatehood.yolasite.com/
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 10:24 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
you are having a larf aren't ya
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 10:25 am
you dewty owld maan!

more like libertenz or whatever they are called.
No I think it was ACT and there is some deflecting going on.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 2:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lardyl
you are having a larf aren't ya
Am I ?????
Old Dec 4th 2011, 3:11 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

I think he's having us on there???? Not that it's any of my business I agree

Hey Justcol - are you old enough to remember 'I didn't vote Tory' badges in the UK. I am. Potential NZ growth opportunity maybe "I voted National but still oppose asset sales'.

The great thing (maybe) about MMP is that in Wellington (a rich part of NZ) many voters put Labour for their Electorate MP and National for the party vote. This is real power for the voter I think. Of course I didn't do that as I prefer to pin my support to one mast.

Wish they would get the special votes and referendum counted though - why a two week delay?

Last edited by luvwelly; Dec 4th 2011 at 3:18 am.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 3:50 am
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by luvwelly
.........The great thing (maybe) about MMP is that in Wellington (a rich part of NZ) many voters put Labour for their Electorate MP and National for the party vote. This is real power for the voter I think. ....
what?
so they think the person best able to represent them is the candidate they vote for and the best party to form the government is not the one that their representative is a part of. Weird, but then I suppose people in Welly are weird. Too close to too much power.

anyway the vagries of MMP and it's abuse have already surfaced with ACT's policy "victories". Banks bleating on about how great a deal he has got for his c&s support. Even worse than last time you could argue.

Been thinking harder about MMP.
To me the only way to make it acceptable is remove totally the FPP element and give us STV in the electorates. That would be more proportional.
Then probably remove coat-tailing and take the threshold down to zero to compensate. Let's have lots of small parties.
And have some form of mandatory transparent selection for list candidates that involves party members as it should do in the electorates.
Or you could have two types of candidate, one a list and the other an electroate.

I still want a representative not a party to serve me. Thanks very muchly.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 4:08 am
BE Forum Addict

I'm even cooler with STV but that is a much purer form of PR than MMP.

Have been cringing at media leaks re what deal Banks and 'my MP' have got out of Mr Smile and Wave this time and how 'wonderful' they are. Still want to know the final seat outcome re the special votes and the referendum.

I agree that 'one man band' parties just seem inherently wrong but what can you do when the Leader of a major party stitches 2 seats up in advance like that and the dumb voters go along with it?

I agree it is schizo to vote for a different party in the Electorate than in the Party Vote. Apparently Labour's electorate vote share was 35% not 27% BUT if people can and do do this, they do it for a reason and I think that reason in most cases is to avoid giving large majorities to the Governing Party even though MMP wouldn't usually deliver big majorities anyway even if they didn't split their vote.
So you may not like it but it does in fact give the voter more power to force politicians to co-operate.
This is not the first time it has happened like this according to Radio NZ National this evening. National's lowpoint of 20% party vote also had a higher Electorate vote share.

Maybe I will have to rethink my opposition to Peter Dunne since he is apparently claiming to have saved Radio NZ National from being sold off as part of his deal with Mr Key. In truth much as I like Radio NZ National as a substitute UK Radio 4, it would not make me vote for his 'one man band'.
He has also bagged free over 65 health checks lol. Just one per person once I think so oldies don't get too excited.

Last edited by luvwelly; Dec 5th 2011 at 4:10 am.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 11:31 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Cuts to the Department of Conservation:
DOC confirmed it would cut 96 jobs over the next six months in a restructure aimed at saving $7.5 million.
Link

That's less than $3 per person in New Zealand saved?
Old Dec 7th 2011, 4:31 am
BE Forum Addict

buts its still a saving of 7.5 million.
The only $x per person slant can be applied to anything. personally I can think
of a lot of better places I'd like to see my tax $$$ spent than funding DOC
Old Dec 7th 2011, 6:26 am
BE Forum Addict

buts its still a saving of 7.5 million.
The only $x per person slant can be applied to anything. personally I can think
of a lot of better places I'd like to see my tax $$$ spent than funding DOC
Yeah maybe but that's 96 more people unemployed with knock-on effect on their attached family, so the true saving is potentially much less.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

most of the time the jobs simply get farmed out to contractors

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.