Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

National Insurance and Healthcare advice!

National Insurance and Healthcare advice!

Old Nov 19th 2008, 12:29 pm
Just Joined

Trev and Jayne is just really niceTrev and Jayne is just really niceTrev and Jayne is just really niceTrev and Jayne is just really niceTrev and Jayne is just really niceTrev and Jayne is just really niceTrev and Jayne is just really niceTrev and Jayne is just really niceTrev and Jayne is just really nice
Default National Insurance and Healthcare advice!

Hi Everyone

Were due to leave the UK at the end January so im currently getting all the paperwork sorted. I have a few questions and would welcome some advice:

1) I have read that you can continue to pay voluntary National Insurance contributions whilst abroad so as to secure benefits such as maternity pay and state pension should you return (or if not, secure a UK state pension to be claimed abroad). Im only 28 so a long way off yet but it seems like it may be a good thing to do. Has anyone done this, what are the benefits and does anyone know how much it will cost per week?

2) I know that when we become a resident in NZ, we have access to the healthcare system but do you need to get travel insurance to cover your whole stay should you come back to the UK for a holiday or are we covered as British Citizens to any degree?

3) Finally, and I know a bit morbid, but should something happen to me in NZ would I need to have something in place like life insurance for my body to be flown back to the UK or would this be covered by something else.

I know these may be quite random questions but if ive thought them im sure others have too Any advice would be appreciated?

Thanks
Jayne
Old Nov 19th 2008, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

NermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really nice
Default Re: National Insurance and Healthcare advice!

I'm interested too, sorry I don't know the answers.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trev and Jayne
Hi Everyone

Were due to leave the UK at the end January so im currently getting all the paperwork sorted. I have a few questions and would welcome some advice:

1) I have read that you can continue to pay voluntary National Insurance contributions whilst abroad so as to secure benefits such as maternity pay and state pension should you return (or if not, secure a UK state pension to be claimed abroad). Im only 28 so a long way off yet but it seems like it may be a good thing to do. Has anyone done this, what are the benefits and does anyone know how much it will cost per week?

2) I know that when we become a resident in NZ, we have access to the healthcare system but do you need to get travel insurance to cover your whole stay should you come back to the UK for a holiday or are we covered as British Citizens to any degree?

3) Finally, and I know a bit morbid, but should something happen to me in NZ would I need to have something in place like life insurance for my body to be flown back to the UK or would this be covered by something else.

I know these may be quite random questions but if ive thought them im sure others have too Any advice would be appreciated?

Thanks
Jayne
In response to question 2) theoretically when you return to the UK you would be covered by the NHS whilst on holiday as you still hold a UK passport. We are returning next year for a holiday and we are going to get holiday insurance just in case! Our home is now NZ and if we need to be returned to NZ by air ambulance or needed extended rehab etc I don't think the NHS would do this - plus it just gives you that extra cover just in case. But we are just cautious.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 1:30 am
Enjoying retirement

NakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to behold

I belive there is a recipricol arrangement between the UK and NZ governments that allows each others citizens access to their state health systems for acute medical conditions, when in each others countries as visitors. However, I dont think this would cover things like repatriation by air ambulance if needed.

You should also have access to the ACC system as soon as you arrive in NZ

Personally I was able to register with my local GP whilst still on a visitors visa

Last edited by NakiMan; Nov 20th 2008 at 1:32 am.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

becky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to all

Just a quick note:

Holding a british passport does NOT entitle you to free NHS treatment.

If you have lived overseas for more than 3 months then you are also are not automatically entitled to NHS treatment.

An emergency admission to hospital would be covered but the NHS trusts all now have paying patients teams that will investigate furthur.

Have seen this happen increasingly more over thye last year.

Maybe this helps
Old Nov 20th 2008, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

NermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really nice

Can i just confirm what becky667 says, if you are not ordinarily resident in the UK you are not entitled to NHS care. It's one of my jobs to review patients that are "overseas visitors"

http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Healthcare/E...able/DH_074386

"Living in a bilateral healthcare agreement country?
If you have at some point lived lawfully in the UK for 10 continuous years, and subsequently choose to go and live permanently (or for more than 3 months each year) in a country with which the UK has a bilateral health agreement, then, when you are visiting the UK, you will be exempt from charges for treatment for a condition which arises after your arrival here. Routine treatment of a pre-existing condition, or pre-planned operations etc, will be chargeable. This partial exemption will also apply to your spouse, civil partner and children (under the age of 16, or 19 if in further education) if they are living with you in the UK for the duration of your visit. NB – This level of exemption will also apply if you live in an EEA member state but do not become an “insured” resident there.

You will only be fully exempt from charges if you meet one of the other exemption criteria, for example because you are working abroad and have been doing so for less than 5 years."
Old Nov 21st 2008, 8:01 am
Enjoying retirement

NakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by NermaltheCute
Can i just confirm what becky667 says, if you are not ordinarily resident in the UK you are not entitled to NHS care. It's one of my jobs to review patients that are "overseas visitors"

http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Healthcare/E...able/DH_074386

"Living in a bilateral healthcare agreement country?
If you have at some point lived lawfully in the UK for 10 continuous years, and subsequently choose to go and live permanently (or for more than 3 months each year) in a country with which the UK has a bilateral health agreement, then, when you are visiting the UK, you will be exempt from charges for treatment for a condition which arises after your arrival here. Routine treatment of a pre-existing condition, or pre-planned operations etc, will be chargeable. This partial exemption will also apply to your spouse, civil partner and children (under the age of 16, or 19 if in further education) if they are living with you in the UK for the duration of your visit. NB – This level of exemption will also apply if you live in an EEA member state but do not become an “insured” resident there.

You will only be fully exempt from charges if you meet one of the other exemption criteria, for example because you are working abroad and have been doing so for less than 5 years."
WOW thanks for that. It's VERY important and I dont think many UK expats are aware of this. I certainly wasn't.

So basicly when I go back to the UK for a holiday, because i've been out of the UK for more than 3 months, I'm only entitled to the same degree of free NHS treatment as, say, a New Zealand Citizen i.e. acute treatment only, and nothing for a pre existing condition.

Not that it applies to me, but am I right in thinking that if a pregnant woman were to need some type of medical treatment while on holiday in the UK, this would be treated as a pre-existing condition and therefore chargeable???
Old Nov 21st 2008, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

becky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to all

Hi

As far as pregnant women go, it depends when they travel. If is an emergency then no they don't need to pay. If they have high blood pressure/ or are near delivery date then it is possible to be charged.