Reload this Page >

National Insurance & Council Tax

National Insurance & Council Tax

Old Aug 22nd 2011, 10:18 pm
Just Joined

Conks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default National Insurance & Council Tax

Hi,

I've been offered a job today in CHristchurch and I'm trying to make sure that we have all finances covered to see if it can work.

I understand that you pay for medical fees so I'm wondering whether you pay national insurance contributions as you do here in the UK?

I beleive that you still have to pay UK NIC anyway as an ex pat - is this correct?

Also - is there a NZ equivalent to our Council Tax ?

Any other tax situations that we need to be made aware of?

Thanks.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 5:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: National Insurance & Council Tax

If you are leaving perminently You dont have to pay UK NIC at all.
There is no nat ins here here and we pay rates.
If you are renting the landlord pays the rates and its taken out of the rent you pay
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

you do not have a tax free allowance on your pay so all income is taxed! you also pay 2.04% for ACC which is like an accident insurnace. If you are a permanent resident of have a 2 year WTR then hospital care is free, visits to the GP vary about $60-80 a time
It does epend where you live as to whether your water bill is covered in your rates, in Wellington it is in Auckland its not, having come from SW UK where water bills are double the rest of the UK water here is definatley cheaper.
The IRD website will give you tax rates Hope this helps.
Old Aug 27th 2011, 1:48 am
BE Enthusiast

chc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond repute

Water is free in Christchurch, and of good quality! Doctor visits are around $40-$50 during normal hours, or about $80 for 24 hour clinics. Individual income tax rates can be found here: http://www.ird.govt.nz/how-to/taxrat...etaxrates.html
Old Aug 27th 2011, 7:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute

Some companies opt out of ACC and bear the responsibility themselves so their staff do not pay the ACC levy.

In my experience those will be large, office based companies where it is unlikely that staff would get injuries at work.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 9:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clappy
Some companies opt out of ACC and bear the responsibility themselves so their staff do not pay the ACC levy.

In my experience those will be large, office based companies where it is unlikely that staff would get injuries at work.
No, sorry that is completely wrong: the employee and employer payments are two different things altogether.

Employers can pay a reduced levy if they self manage the workplace injuries, accidents claims and reduce the return to work times. Less claims means less cost for the employer but this in no way reduces the employees obligation to pay for the 'non-work' related accident insurance. What the employee pays from their salary or wages is nothing to do with workplace injuries
Old Aug 29th 2011, 11:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
No, sorry that is completely wrong: the employee and employer payments are two different things altogether.

Employers can pay a reduced levy if they self manage the workplace injuries, accidents claims and reduce the return to work times. Less claims means less cost for the employer but this in no way reduces the employees obligation to pay for the 'non-work' related accident insurance. What the employee pays from their salary or wages is nothing to do with workplace injuries
OK, I stand corrected.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 8:06 pm
Just Joined

Conks is an unknown quantity at this point

OK thanks.

What I'm trying to estabish is will I have to pay for my medication (insulin) or is this covered by prescription?

Cheers.