National Anthem

Old May 18th 2011, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute
Default National Anthem

How many of you have learned the NZ national anthem? It has taken me 3 1/2 years and I still only know the first verse in English and couldn't even attempt the Maori words from memory.
Old May 18th 2011, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: National Anthem

Originally Posted by cappuccino View Post
How many of you have learned the NZ national anthem? It has taken me 3 1/2 years and I still only know the first verse in English and couldn't even attempt the Maori words from memory.
I sort of know the first verse in Maori, only because my 5 year old daughter randomly breaks into singing it whenever she feels like it usually in public places she has mastered the first verse in Maori and the second in English ....... i really should try it to stop her showing me up
Old May 18th 2011, 9:11 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Hahaha, I'm the same as Alan, my kids know both the Maori and the English verses from school and can sing both fluently. It's interesting when I attend one of their school assemblies that may have 50-60 parents at the back. The kids belt out the first verse in Maori whilst the adults fidget and fumble, pretending to be very busy with their cameras, dvd recorders etc. And then suddenly the volume trebles as we get to the second verse in English when all the adults join in! I am assuming when they were at school the Maori verse wasn't taught?

I learnt both for when I attended an All Blacks game and sang at the top of my voice, much to my eldest child's embarrassment. I know the English still, but I admit after the second line of the Maori I'm useless again!
Old May 18th 2011, 9:35 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

I know it in English. Only a small fraction of Kiwis know Maori so its sort of just a bit of pandering really to sing it in a forgotten language.

Edit: Of course you could be super annoying and point out that"God Save the Queen" is also the New Zealand national anthem.

Last edited by Charismatic; May 18th 2011 at 9:45 pm.
Old May 18th 2011, 10:12 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah View Post
I am assuming when they were at school the Maori verse wasn't taught?
Ha ha, yes that's me. I was educated in NZ and we never learnt the Maori words. Did a few stick games and poi dances though.
Old May 19th 2011, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

I learnt both for when I attended an All Blacks game and sang at the top of my voice, much to my eldest child's embarrassment. I know the English still, but I admit after the second line of the Maori I'm useless again!
I have learned the sporting 'national anthem' - Why does love do this to me by The Exponents
Old May 19th 2011, 11:07 am
Stoke City fanatic

nelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have to 'sing' the anthem at the citizenship ceremony ?
Old May 19th 2011, 8:19 pm
Finally mesh free!

Vitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nelsonpom View Post
Do you have to 'sing' the anthem at the citizenship ceremony ?
Yes but they give you the words!
Old May 20th 2011, 6:56 am
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

Know both versions and like AL sing at the rugby at the top of my lungs. Although in Sep will be singing Flower of Scotland at Invercargill as well!!!

Phyl x
Old May 20th 2011, 9:54 am
Stoke City fanatic

nelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix View Post
Yes but they give you the words!
Thank goodness for that
Old May 20th 2011, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huZlL58yvyM
Old May 20th 2011, 10:09 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Ahhh, most useful cappuccino. Have to say I lurve the NZ National Anthem.
Old May 20th 2011, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Ahhh, most useful cappuccino. Have to say I lurve the NZ National Anthem.
I love to hear Hayley Westenra singing it - lots of YouTube clips of her and her beautiful voice.
Old May 20th 2011, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

The 'alternative' (sporting) national anthem: www.youtube.com/watch?v=otFyKXje9Eg
Old May 20th 2011, 8:47 pm
Finally mesh free!

Vitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cappuccino View Post
I love to hear Hayley Westenra singing it - lots of YouTube clips of her and her beautiful voice.
Me too! We met her in 2006 & she's an absolute sweetheart