British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   National Anthem (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/national-anthem-717494/)

cappuccino May 18th 2011 11:15 am

National Anthem

How many of you have learned the NZ national anthem? It has taken me 3 1/2 years and I still only know the first verse in English and couldn't even attempt the Maori words from memory.

alanmacc May 18th 2011 9:04 pm

Re: National Anthem

Originally Posted by cappuccino (Post 9371968)
How many of you have learned the NZ national anthem? It has taken me 3 1/2 years and I still only know the first verse in English and couldn't even attempt the Maori words from memory.

I sort of know the first verse in Maori, only because my 5 year old daughter randomly breaks into singing it whenever she feels like it usually in public places she has mastered the first verse in Maori and the second in English ....... i really should try it to stop her showing me up

Am Loolah May 18th 2011 9:11 pm

Hahaha, I'm the same as Alan, my kids know both the Maori and the English verses from school and can sing both fluently. It's interesting when I attend one of their school assemblies that may have 50-60 parents at the back. The kids belt out the first verse in Maori whilst the adults fidget and fumble, pretending to be very busy with their cameras, dvd recorders etc. And then suddenly the volume trebles as we get to the second verse in English when all the adults join in!:lol: I am assuming when they were at school the Maori verse wasn't taught?

I learnt both for when I attended an All Blacks game and sang at the top of my voice, much to my eldest child's embarrassment.:thumbup: I know the English still, but I admit after the second line of the Maori I'm useless again!

Charismatic May 18th 2011 9:35 pm

I know it in English. Only a small fraction of Kiwis know Maori so its sort of just a bit of pandering really to sing it in a forgotten language.

Edit: Of course you could be super annoying and point out that"God Save the Queen" is also the New Zealand national anthem.

jmh May 18th 2011 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by Am Loolah (Post 9373376)
I am assuming when they were at school the Maori verse wasn't taught?

Ha ha, yes that's me. I was educated in NZ and we never learnt the Maori words. Did a few stick games and poi dances though.

cappuccino May 19th 2011 10:08 am

Originally Posted by Am Loolah (Post 9373376)
I learnt both for when I attended an All Blacks game and sang at the top of my voice, much to my eldest child's embarrassment.:thumbup: I know the English still, but I admit after the second line of the Maori I'm useless again!

I have learned the sporting 'national anthem' - Why does love do this to me by The Exponents :rofl:

nelsonpom May 19th 2011 11:07 am

Do you have to 'sing' the anthem at the citizenship ceremony ?

scrubbedexpat094 May 19th 2011 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by nelsonpom (Post 9374501)
Do you have to 'sing' the anthem at the citizenship ceremony ?

Yes but they give you the words!;)

weejie May 20th 2011 6:56 am

Know both versions and like AL sing at the rugby at the top of my lungs. Although in Sep will be singing Flower of Scotland at Invercargill as well!!!

Phyl x

nelsonpom May 20th 2011 9:54 am

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 9375724)
Yes but they give you the words!;)

Thank goodness for that :D

cappuccino May 20th 2011 10:01 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huZlL58yvyM

Am Loolah May 20th 2011 10:09 am

Ahhh, most useful cappuccino.:thumbup: Have to say I lurve the NZ National Anthem.:thumbsup:

cappuccino May 20th 2011 10:23 am

Originally Posted by Am Loolah (Post 9376904)
Ahhh, most useful cappuccino.:thumbup: Have to say I lurve the NZ National Anthem.:thumbsup:

I love to hear Hayley Westenra singing it - lots of YouTube clips of her and her beautiful voice.

cappuccino May 20th 2011 10:26 am

The 'alternative' (sporting) national anthem: www.youtube.com/watch?v=otFyKXje9Eg

scrubbedexpat094 May 20th 2011 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by cappuccino (Post 9376926)
I love to hear Hayley Westenra singing it - lots of YouTube clips of her and her beautiful voice.

Me too! We met her in 2006 & she's an absolute sweetheart :)