Napier

Old Aug 16th 2016, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Napier

Originally Posted by BEVS
You never saw the craters of the moon before ? Used to be looking at that all the time as a kid with a 2nd hand pair of bins. That and the planets and the sweep of the Milky Way

So pleased you've caught the bug.
Nope, sad I know. Telescope is going on my Christmas list - not that the cloud seems to lift long enough back home to see anything!
Old Aug 16th 2016, 11:52 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Damson
Nope, sad I know. Telescope is going on my Christmas list - not that the cloud seems to lift long enough back home to see anything!
Doesn't have to be posh . A good pair of bins will do it too.
We always had enough clear nights to see the stars . No probs with everlasting cloud in Dorset & I feel sorry for those that live somewhere like that. Winter is best.
It is the sodium glare from street lights that can be a problem. We'd take a drive over Cranbourne Chase to get some quality clarity.
You've just missed the Perseid shower up there too. Pics and reports from family and pals back home say it was a good show. For that we always went to Hengistbury Head.

Can you tell I'm into this. I'll shaddup now.
Old Aug 17th 2016, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

We always had enough clear nights to see the stars . No probs with everlasting cloud in Dorset & I feel sorry for those that live somewhere like that. Winter is best.
It is the sodium glare from street lights that can be a problem. We'd take a drive over Cranbourne Chase to get some quality clarity.
You've just missed the Perseid shower up there too. Pics and reports from family and pals back home say it was a good show. For that we always went to Hengistbury Head.

Not at all; it's lovely to read. It's a great passion to have. I've just got used to the disappointment of "it's going to be a one in xxxx year event", then staying up late and it raining. The ISS passed over our town not long before we came away - yup, heavy cloud.

Gutted that we'll miss the cable car by a day. We took a boat across to Lower Hutt today and walked to Eastbourne and had a hokey pokey ice cream by the ferry jetty - possibly the best I've ever had. Weather absolutely glorious. I'll shut up now lol.
Old Aug 17th 2016, 7:08 am
`

Oh yes. I remember . "Dr Foster went to Gloucester in a shower of rain".

Choose where you settle in NZ carefully or it will be the same sorta tale. Wind and wain.

Or . Move to Dorset & other drier areas.

You hit the weather right today . So pleased for you as the rains have been a bit of a mare. Get on out there and squizz that night sky although it will mostly be the moon.
Old Aug 18th 2016, 9:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

My wife kindly gave me an 80mm ED refractor with an EQ3 mount - now I need someone to help me get going.

Anyone know an amateur astronomer within driving distance of Kerikeri.
Old Aug 19th 2016, 4:00 am
`

Originally Posted by Kotare
My wife kindly gave me an 80mm ED refractor with an EQ3 mount - now I need someone to help me get going.

Anyone know an amateur astronomer within driving distance of Kerikeri.
Envious. Moi ?