Nanny/au pair

Old Sep 9th 2007, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold
Default Nanny/au pair

Has anyone here taken on a nanny or au-pair after emigrating to NZ?

If so was it a NZ nanny/au-pair or from another country and how did it go....

We did this in the Uk and it worked very very well with a lithuanian girl who worked for us for a few years and she and her partner are now very good family friends of ours and will be for ever.

Just wondered how it may work here in NZ being so far from everywhere.

I don't work currently but i'm looking at a few opportunities here that will require us to have some help with after school/holiday care etc hence why we are thinking about this.....
Old Sep 9th 2007, 9:04 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nanny/au pair

Yes..the 'au pair' question crops up every week on this forum...

while I'm here...anyone know the best place to buy caviar after 9pm? I've completely run out and need some for my breakfast tomorrow...

Old Sep 9th 2007, 9:19 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by niseysOH

We did this in the Uk and it worked very very well with a lithuanian girl who worked for us for a few years and she and her partner are now very good family friends of ours and will be for ever.

I don't work currently but i'm looking at a few opportunities here that will require us to have some help with after school/holiday care etc hence why we are thinking about this.....
You could place an ad here;

http://www.backpackerboard.co.nz/wor...w-zealand-jobs

It comes up if you google nanny/au pair agency, might be worth a look or even TNT magazine as they're probably all in Earls Court, West London reading it on the tube!
Old Sep 9th 2007, 9:21 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Avid
Yes..the 'au pair' question crops up every week on this forum...

while I'm here...anyone know the best place to buy caviar after 9pm? I've completely run out and need some for my breakfast tomorrow...

Old Sep 9th 2007, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

Believe me I have my thickest nomex fire suit on for this thread in anticipation of some expected replies but its a genuine request for info....

We have some young kids and want help available not on a full time basis but when we need it to allow us both to work here in NZ.

Some people have family available to help out but i guess most ex-pats don't.

Not knowing where to look in NZ as opposed to the UK it was a question that may have been suitable here as someone must have done the same.....
Old Sep 9th 2007, 9:36 am

Believe me I have my thickest nomex fire suit on for this thread in anticipation of some expected replies but its a genuine request for info....

We have some young kids and want help available not on a full time basis but when we need it to allow us both to work here in NZ.

Not knowing where to look in NZ as opposed to the UK it was a question that may have been suitable here as someone must have done the same.....
I would also suggest you try a couple of the UK based Nanny Agencies (lots in Borough of Kensington & Chelsea) as they get jobs for nannies leaving NZ and possibly have some kind of deal with the colleges/other agencies this end sending them out - there maybe some who would consider nearer to home and/or some returning.

Just make sure you hire them and that they look like Nanny McPhee as I know a guy who married the au pair ...
Old Sep 9th 2007, 9:40 am

http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en...cr%3DcountryNZ
Old Sep 9th 2007, 9:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks fot that we've done the search engines just wondered if anyone had direct experience here....

There are some useful links on the google search....cheers
Old Sep 9th 2007, 10:07 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

AFIK there are all sorts of tax dodges associated with au pairs in NZ, as there seem to be with most of the upper middle class things to do. I know a few folks at work who have had one or other and there is a nanny academy next to MrsL's office. If you're desperate then I can ask around.
I'll qualify the tax dodge and upper middle class - just a perception on the type of people who have them over here (know 2 or 3) and the other tax thing is to do with second/third/fourth/fifth homes.....my hobby horse fraid
Old Sep 9th 2007, 10:19 am

Thanks fot that we've done the search engines just wondered if anyone had direct experience here....

There are some useful links on the google search....cheers
I don't know of any I'm afraid but I'm sure there must be some, ask around at your kids school or at your local pub/church/thing ... We always used staff from the kids' nurseries in the UK, if it's just flexible/part time cover that would probably be a good place to ask? Is there any kind of NZ equivalent to the National Childbirth Trust?
Old Sep 9th 2007, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by lardyl
AFIK there are all sorts of tax dodges associated with au pairs in NZ, as there seem to be with most of the upper middle class things to do. I know a few folks at work who have had one or other and there is a nanny academy next to MrsL's office. If you're desperate then I can ask around.
I'll qualify the tax dodge and upper middle class - just a perception on the type of people who have them over here (know 2 or 3) and the other tax thing is to do with second/third/fourth/fifth homes.....my hobby horse fraid
When I got my first dishwasher I declared myself middle class ... does that count?
Old Sep 9th 2007, 10:31 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
When I got my first dishwasher I declared myself middle class ... does that count?
Nope - although the male estate agent who came with us on our first viewing here didnt know why anyone would want a dishwasher - obviously he didn't do the dishes or he didnt have kids.........great in NZ as mostly the water is so soft that running the appliance is uber-cheap - we run without salt or rinse aid and very little powder :-))
Old Sep 9th 2007, 11:29 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Fair enough.

I live in a fairly 'posh' part of Wellington and from what I can glean (from peering in people's windows) cleaners are fairly common but au pairs are very unusual.

Well-off Kiwis like to pretend to be classless, you know.

Last edited by Avid; Sep 9th 2007 at 11:35 am.
Old Sep 9th 2007, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Middle class is when you buy a bottle of wine and don't drink it on the same day.
Old Sep 9th 2007, 11:34 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Avid
Middle class is when you buy a bottle of wine and don't drink it on the same day.
Yeah and the nicely chilled red just lets you down........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.