Names

Old Mar 3rd 2021, 5:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Names

Mum rages at nursery for shortening daughter's name 'because it's too hard to pronounce' - Daily Record

Not experienced this as a maori byt family have experienced problems in English-speaking environmante with non-English names. What do folk in NZ feel ?

Why do English-speakers have problems with this ? It happens in GB as well.
Old Mar 3rd 2021, 6:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Names

We have people of all nationalities here with names that are equally difficult to grasp and I think it's a disgrace that staff at an early learning centre struggle to pronounce Maori words. They should be encouraging children in the basics of Te Reo (Maori Language) and be respectful of children's given name. In my world it's the height of rudeness not to bother to learn how to pronounce someone's given or chosen name correctly.
Old Mar 3rd 2021, 6:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

In Xenophobic Brexitania it is common. I had hoped that NZ had higher standards. My Bulgarian daughters had problems in KG with English-speaking teachers who had a mental bloc on any names that were not familiar to them as tabloid-readers.
Old Mar 3rd 2021, 6:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
In Xenophobic Brexitania it is common. I had hoped that NZ had higher standards. My Bulgarian daughters had problems in KG with English-speaking teachers who had a mental bloc on any names that were not familiar to them as tabloid-readers.
For many years use of Maori language was discouraged and repressed but in recent years there has been a resurgence with Maori people claiming back and encouraging the use of correct pronunciation of place names and such like. Certainly we see a little bit more appreciation of the language and some efforts with Maori language week and occasional greetings being used in mainstream media and workplaces but there's still a long way to go.

Old Mar 3rd 2021, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone can pronounce the kids name, it's not difficult. Whether they could be bothered to spit out the whole thing every time they spoke to her is another story. My clientele are almost entirely maori and I use shortened names for almost every one of them that is more than two syllables long. I make an effort on introductions and ask if it's a tricky one, but beyond that it's not practical to spend all day spitting long names out.
The mum's just being being prescious. She needs to get over herself
Old Mar 3rd 2021, 12:05 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Like if your name is Abraham you'll be called Abe, Daniel it'll be contracted to Dan, Thomas it'll be Tom etc?

I mean, uhh, completely unprecedented and outrageous, she is right to be offended.
Old Mar 3rd 2021, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
I work with many people from around the globe who have made the UK home and I try my bestest to pronounce names and with practice/familiarity it does get easier but I still get tongue tied at times and it's very much visa versa with my name lol. Hopefully NZ though will introduce the Maori language as a language on the education curriculum if it has not already done so....
Old Mar 3rd 2021, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
I work with many people from around the globe who have made the UK home and I try my bestest to pronounce names and with practice/familiarity it does get easier but I still get tongue tied at times and it's very much visa versa with my name lol. Hopefully NZ though will introduce the Maori language as a language on the education curriculum if it has not already done so....
I would think the issue is around practicality not pronunciation
Old Mar 4th 2021, 5:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Using a name the way the owner of that name expects ? Basic courtesy.
Old Mar 4th 2021, 7:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It's a two way street, I wouldn't shorten anyone's name unless that's the way they, or the parents if it was a child, had indicated or referred to themselves in that way. You generally figure out the lie of the land in regards to what's okay and what's not but in regards to a child it absolutely sits with the parents and they have every right to be precious and insist on use of proper names if that's what they wish.

My own Mum was very opposed to anyone shortening her own name and gave very clear guidance to anyone who tried to shorten ours when we were kids. I have a very good friend called David, we've never had a conversation about his name but I would never refer to him as Dave because never considered that appropriate and he's not a Dave, he doesn't call himself Dave, he is most definitely a David.
Old Mar 4th 2021, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

Timmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with BJ!
Old Mar 4th 2021, 9:24 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

when we first arrived in NZ, lots of the NZ'ders couldn't/wouldn't pronounce my dd name correctly, she got so fed up with it she shortened it.

on a side note I'm the only one to call my OH by his full name as that was how he was introduced to me, to shorten it for me just doesn't feel right.
Old Mar 4th 2021, 11:15 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timmy Chch
I agree with BJ!
That's Countess BJ of Zealandia to us slovenly oiks!
Old Mar 5th 2021, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
It's a two way street, I wouldn't shorten anyone's name unless that's the way they, or the parents if it was a child, had indicated or referred to themselves in that way. You generally figure out the lie of the land in regards to what's okay and what's not but in regards to a child it absolutely sits with the parents and they have every right to be precious and insist on use of proper names if that's what they wish.

My own Mum was very opposed to anyone shortening her own name and gave very clear guidance to anyone who tried to shorten ours when we were kids. I have a very good friend called David, we've never had a conversation about his name but I would never refer to him as Dave because never considered that appropriate and he's not a Dave, he doesn't call himself Dave, he is most definitely a David.
I purposely chose names for our son's that could not be.shortened as mine always is even when I introduce myself with my "proper" and used name..it still gets shortened lol
Old Mar 5th 2021, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
when we first arrived in NZ, lots of the NZ'ders couldn't/wouldn't pronounce my dd name correctly, she got so fed up with it she shortened it.

on a side note I'm the only one to call my OH by his full name as that was how he was introduced to me, to shorten it for me just doesn't feel right.
MY DH introduced me by his full first name (as that is what he prefers) so I use that name as well but his family never used/use his full name...and they just thought I was being posh lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.