Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Name the vegetable

Name the vegetable

Old Oct 9th 2012, 11:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Name the vegetable

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff-nation/...nd-get-cooking

this is rather interesting. i just watched the video - it sounded to me like all the people who were clueless and didn't cook weren't actually kiwis!
I'm sure i could detect a hint of american and british in there - so it doesn't surprise me coming from nations of convenience food.
Old Oct 9th 2012, 11:53 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Name the vegetable

What are you suggesting here? That Kiwi's cook fresh and from scratch and that those from other countries ( UK/US) don't?

I'd have to take a bit of an issue with that as from my experience of over 8 years here, Kiwi's around us very much like their convenience foods / meat and cheese pies/ takeaways

Conversely UK family and friends we know all know how to cook ,enjoy doing so and eat healthily .

Me ? I like a mix of both. Most people do.
Old Oct 10th 2012, 12:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Caz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond repute

Not suggesting anything per-se. Just found it interesting. The article was suggesting Generation Z kiwis don't cook fresh. But it didn't appear to be the kiwis on the video that weren't cooking fresh.

I agree - re kiwis being into their pies and takeaways etc. Convenience food? What would that be? Ok - i know that you do get some pre-made meals in Countdown, but the choice is very small and nothing like on a par with the supermarkets in the UK.
Old Oct 10th 2012, 1:54 am
`

The choice may be limited but it's certainly bought & the availability is on the increase. Demand and supply. Supply and demand and all that.

Then there are those oven chips and frozen ready made mash.

There were 4 people asked in that clip , of which 3 stated they bought food in. 2, possibly 3 of those sounded Kiwi ( one of which may be Pacifica), the 3rd American/Canadian.

Another article on this survey HERE

Last edited by BEVS; Oct 10th 2012 at 1:57 am.
Old Oct 10th 2012, 2:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BEVS
The choice may be limited but it's certainly bought & the availability is on the increase. Demand and supply. Supply and demand and all that.

Then there are those oven chips and frozen ready made mash.

There were 4 people asked in that clip , of which 3 stated they bought food in. 2, possibly 3 of those sounded Kiwi ( one of which may be Pacifica), the 3rd American/Canadian.

Another article on this survey HERE
Well if we are going to get picky yup 3 people said that they didn't really cook – I re-watched the video

Person 1 - sounded english - likes to eat pizza
Person 2 - not sure - thought was non-kiwi - but possibly kiwi - eats takeout
Person 3 - kiwi and cooked
Person 4 - deffo not kiwi - didn't cook.

So all I was determining from that incredibly limited survey is that it indicated that it was non kiwis that were doing the lack of cooking. However – obviously I’m sure that the people doing this survey and the report spoke to more people than that!

I'm not disputing that there isn't any convenience food available here. Course there is and yeah maybe it is on the increase. I'm just saying that if you think back to a typical Tesco or Sainsbury or Asda and the aisles that you would have going on and on full of ready prepared meals in the chiller. Or even Marks and Spencers - where the majority of the produce is something pre-prepared and oven ready. I'm not even referring to the frozen stuff - thats much of a muchness here or there really. You do not get that level of choice and availability here. Maybe it will change over time which is a shame cause it will mean that people's cooking skills will decrease more and more.
Old Oct 10th 2012, 3:31 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Reminds me of when Jamie Oliver went to Rotherham and took the challenge to educate people to cook basic food.

I remember one solo mum, that relied almost exclusively on take outs.

Most Kiwi mums I have met are excellent bakers!
Old Oct 10th 2012, 5:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the youngsters that work in Pak n Save seem to struggle with identifying various fruit and vegetables and we're talking basics: the likes of swede, celery and leeks.
Old Oct 10th 2012, 7:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Catchafire
Reminds me of when Jamie Oliver went to Rotherham and took the challenge to educate people to cook basic food.

I remember one solo mum, that relied almost exclusively on take outs.

Most Kiwi mums I have met are excellent bakers!
Indeed (not just mums - non mums too ) Everyone in my pottery class is well into food and we all bring yummy things in each week! Yummy - not so good for the waistline saying no sometimes!
Old Oct 10th 2012, 9:06 pm
`

Wah ! You are so determined that young Kiwi people all cook and that young UK people don't or can't. You're even determined as to which accents you feel you can/can't make out for 4 random people on a brief film clip.

It's not true of course. It's a mix of both for both countries.

However, in all seriousness, this is a problem here in NZ. Many young people, it seems, can't cook properly, rely on processed food or take aways and there is a growing obesity problem.
In this area we have a mentoring programme. Part of what the programme offers is to take young people grocery shopping and also to teach them how to make basic meals. So it's out there all right.

The new Weight Watchers survey of 1000 people, studying Kiwis' eating attitudes and food knowledge, has been released today as part of an initiative aimed at tackling obesity.
I doubt all the 1000 surveyed were overseas migrants for UK/US. They would have been ,in the majority, Kiwis as the survey was done in this country for this country.

We need a Jamie Oliver here. Now !
Old Oct 11th 2012, 9:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

It depends on what people you mix with, for sure they ain't all contestants in NZ Hottest Baker but some do like to make a show of their baking skills for visitors and company. Isn't the whole world equally consumed by these Martha Stewart, Wannabe Cupcake Queens right now, anyway.

There's plenty that have a scabby old pie and a bottle of L&P from the Dairy for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

thepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Most of the youngsters that work in Pak n Save seem to struggle with identifying various fruit and vegetables and we're talking basics: the likes of swede, celery and leeks.
They're equally as bad here, asked where the butternut squash was in our local Sainsburys and was directed to the 'pop' isle
Old Oct 11th 2012, 11:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Please spare us another round of this old mythology about Kiwis cooking everything with stunningly fresh ingredients from scratch.

People oddly seem to associate convenience with the obvious cook chill variety sold alot in the UK. NZ hasn't gotten very far past the old-style crap, most of it thinly disguised in tins or the deep freeze.

To name but a few: Lasagne Toppers, Oven Chips, 'Hot dogs' on sticks, Sizzlers, Saveloys and and all manner of other shite pretending to be some flavoured meat sausage, spring rolls, frozen pizzas, 2 Minute Noodles, sausage rolls, Crumpets, Chips and dips, ice-cream, Coke and those long-life meals in bags, there's aisle and aisles of crappy old jars of Chicken Tonite and other such gloop, jam, peanut butter and tinned spaghetti.

Amazing really how a nation full of such wonderful cooks and bakers somehow manages to keep Watties and the myriads of Fish and Chip, Roast dinner shops, burger joints, Subways and KFC in business.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 11:25 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Please spare us another round of this old mythology about Kiwis cooking everything with stunningly fresh ingredients from scratch.

People oddly seem to associate convenience with the obvious cook chill variety sold alot in the UK. NZ hasn't gotten very far past the old-style crap, most of it thinly disguised in tins or the deep freeze.

To name but a few: Lasagne Toppers, Oven Chips, 'Hot dogs' on sticks, Sizzlers, Saveloys and and all manner of other shite pretending to be some flavoured meat sausage, spring rolls, frozen pizzas, 2 Minute Noodles, sausage rolls, Crumpets, Chips and dips, ice-cream, Coke and those long-life meals in bags, there's aisle and aisles of crappy old jars of Chicken Tonite and other such gloop, jam, peanut butter and tinned spaghetti.

Amazing really how a nation full of such wonderful cooks and bakers somehow manages to keep Watties and the myriads of Fish and Chip, Roast dinner shops, burger joints, Subways and KFC in business.
+1

although there are many Kiwis that have the time and inclination to make lovely stuff from scratch, including some great ingredients (like my fantastic neighbour who always drops off some chutney or jam whenever I book a flight for her online).....
lots of Gen-Z kiwis sound like generic Valley-Girls/Boys, there was one Yank in the video though (IMO), the one that doesn't cook. No suprise there! Couldn't spot any *obvious* Brits though.
But then regional accents are going to die anyway before English fades into oblivion - so they were saying on RadioNZ the other day.