Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

My wife is finding it a bit hard to settle in

My wife is finding it a bit hard to settle in

Old Jun 28th 2011, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute
Default My wife is finding it a bit hard to settle in

Hi everyone

My wife and I moved here exactly a month ago, as I'd already secured a job and started working straight away I've managed to get into the swing of things and settled as I'm always busy. Most of the first month has been taken up with searching for a house, we've found a house now and she's feeling very lonely throughout the day whilst I'm at work.

We're living out in Henderson very close to the Sturges Road train station, so if any of you girls are going through the same thing get in touch, I'm sure my missus would love to meet up for a chat/coffee, she's got the car as I catch the train to work.

Both of us are in our 30's, no kids, one naughty dog and music mad.
Old Jun 29th 2011, 12:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My wife is finding it a bit hard to settle in

I know what your going through, My ex went through exactly the same thing many years ago
when we migrated to OZ. I was fine and making friends at work but she struggled on her own.
So much so that we returned home less than a year later.
It probably wont help her at this point but she needs to know that she WILL start to meet people
and make friends in time. Our plan on arriving was to say YES to anything and everything we were invited to
whether it was a party, BBQ, meet at a bar or pub, anything!!!

If your into music maybe she could get over to Real Groovy in the city, I can spend hours in there
rummaging through all the CD's and Vinyl stuff.
For nights out (i know it doesn't help her during the day) have a look on here http://www.mukuna.co.nz/index.htm
Theres always someone on and a good night out with a bit of live music always make you feel better.

Hope that help bud sorry cant do any more
Old Jun 29th 2011, 12:53 am
Forum Regular

sandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nice

Hi sorry to hear your wife feeling lonely, i think she best get a job,but DO NOT work nights 6 years on and i still have no friends,and i know this may seem silly but its the little things you miss like the phone ringing,a familia face in the shop,a good old gossip,any way good luck and work hard at it
Old Jun 29th 2011, 5:43 am
Forum Regular

JenR is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry we're in Napier otherwise would've been up for meeting up! Although it was me who found a job much earlier than my husband I felt much more lonely/homesick than him to start with - think it just depends on how much you need to be around people to be happy, the kind of friendships you had at home etc. Your wife's welcome to email if she'd like an online friend!
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 9:53 am
hanging in there

Hellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to all

I luuurve coffee! and am also finding it hard to settle, if you can cope with having a chat and a drink with a wriggley toddler and her mum I would love to meet up. We live mission bay area but I have car and sat nav and can travel. In (hate to admit it) late 30's from north east with what my husband says dubious taste in music. But like to chat about anything.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 12:46 am
Just Joined

kiwiwtsda has a reputation beyond reputekiwiwtsda has a reputation beyond reputekiwiwtsda has a reputation beyond reputekiwiwtsda has a reputation beyond reputekiwiwtsda has a reputation beyond reputekiwiwtsda has a reputation beyond reputekiwiwtsda has a reputation beyond reputekiwiwtsda has a reputation beyond reputekiwiwtsda has a reputation beyond reputekiwiwtsda has a reputation beyond reputekiwiwtsda has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

We have been here (hubby and I ) for coming up to 8 years now.. I work out in Henderson Mon-Fri and am free for a coffee during my lunch break if you wife want to meet up?

We also are 30 somethings no kids but have taken custody of two cats

Melanie
Originally Posted by barnsleymat
Hi everyone

My wife and I moved here exactly a month ago, as I'd already secured a job and started working straight away I've managed to get into the swing of things and settled as I'm always busy. Most of the first month has been taken up with searching for a house, we've found a house now and she's feeling very lonely throughout the day whilst I'm at work.

We're living out in Henderson very close to the Sturges Road train station, so if any of you girls are going through the same thing get in touch, I'm sure my missus would love to meet up for a chat/coffee, she's got the car as I catch the train to work.

Old Jul 5th 2011, 3:15 am
Just Joined

gemma manning is an unknown quantity at this point

hi barnsleymat,
I would love to meet up with your wife, if she doesnt mind meeting with a 23 year old!!
I live in glendene which is about 5 mins away and i go to henderson pretty much everyday, taking my 2 yr old son to play group, i also dont work, my partner does!!
I know how she feels being on her own, its horrible!!
Hope to hear from you soon
Kind regards
Gemma
Old Jul 6th 2011, 4:26 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone

Well at least your in Auckland where if any bands play they go there!! give it time im sure you will find friends, shame you dont live near me im crazy for music past 50 look and act younger and living in a boring place

if your wife wants a music chat shes very welcome to email me i miss the music scene back in the uk half the bands never tour here

Last edited by love30stm; Jul 6th 2011 at 4:29 am.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 8:40 am
Just Joined

ronanz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone

Hi Barnsleymat
I've just arrived with my husband this month. I'm working from home currently but free for lunch or coffee if your wife would like to get in touch. I've moved country 4 times so I know exactly what your wife is going through. I'm 40 but no kids. Send me a message if she'd like to catch up for a chat.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Luckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Barnsleymat,

Sorry that things are a bit difficult for your wife at the moment, I live in Napier but very happy to be a phone/e-mail buddy too you can never have to many friends especially when it comes to buying a round of drinks or a big fat chocolate cake

....and not one to get on my Soapbox, but the positive and supportive replies to this post shows how great a site like this is...even if at times 'we' can 'appear' to be too positive!!