Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

My UK passport ran out

My UK passport ran out

Old Jun 12th 2009, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute
Default My UK passport ran out

how did that happen...finger's crossed a renewal is easy or I'm doomed and I'll have to succumb to citzenship
* you can't make me a citizen. i resist I RESIST *
Old Jun 13th 2009, 1:38 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: My UK passport ran out

My UK passport is due to run out soonish, so I'll need to get it renewed. I'll be interested to know how you get on with the process.
Where have you sent your UK passport for renewal?
Old Jun 13th 2009, 5:54 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
My UK passport is due to run out soonish, so I'll need to get it renewed. I'll be interested to know how you get on with the process.
Where have you sent your UK passport for renewal?

Sent our to Wellington, despite the hype, ours was renewed no problems.
Old Jun 13th 2009, 6:05 am
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

Send it to the British High Commission in Wellington with the forms that can be downloaded from theirWebsite

The High Commission will then charge you nearly twice what it would cost to renew a passport in the UK, which i think is a complete and utter rip off.

Oh yeah after that there will be a charge to put you resident visa into the new passport and that has to be done at a NZ immigration office.
Old Jun 13th 2009, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Hello
Yep mine expired too.
Cost about $350 to have new passport done and took just over 1 week.
Have now sent new passport and old one to immigration, cost $80 plus cost of sending by courier etc for both of them. Oh yes and cost to have photos done. You need to send a photo with the passports to have the visa sticker changed over too. Check what colour background you need for the photos.

We also re newed our daughters passports about 1 year ago.

Gill
Old Jun 14th 2009, 12:12 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

Still cheaper than getting citizenship and buying a kiwi 5 year passport...or that's how I justify it lol
Old Jun 14th 2009, 5:24 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pricklykina
Still cheaper than getting citizenship and buying a kiwi 5 year passport...or that's how I justify it lol
If that's the way you look at it, then it's probably better that you don't become a citizen.

But it is unclear why you would want to spend your life in New Zealand and yet set your face so strongly against being a New Zealander.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 5:31 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Doh !

We are now NZ citizens. I'll just send off for an NZ passport.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JAJ
If that's the way you look at it, then it's probably better that you don't become a citizen.

But it is unclear why you would want to spend your life in New Zealand and yet set your face so strongly against being a New Zealander.
Hey! I love it here...LOVE IT...I wouldn't have been here 10 years if not

I have my own baby kiwi and grown up one too and am totally committed to living here, honouring the customs etc...I just don't need to be a citizen...mainly cos I don't have the cash to run two passports...well that's not true but if I'm disorganised enough to let one run out...then two would be impossible
I've never had the desire for citizenship..I don't think that it would provide me extra security and have no intention of moving to aus
Old Jun 14th 2009, 2:22 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pricklykina
I have my own baby kiwi and grown up one too and am totally committed to living here, honouring the customs etc...I just don't need to be a citizen...mainly cos I don't have the cash to run two passports...well that's not true but if I'm disorganised enough to let one run out...then two would be impossible
I've never had the desire for citizenship..I don't think that it would provide me extra security and have no intention of moving to aus
There is some discussion in the article:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pros_a...nd_Citizenship

As for "extra security", others have thought that in the past and found out they were terribly wrong, so your choice, really.

If you only want to visit Australia, it's easier with an NZ passport.

As for keeping two passports, you don't need to renew your British one if you would prefer not to. You can enter Britain as a tourist on a NZ passport.
And in fact, as far as I know, if you are dual British/NZ, you can get an RRV stamp in your British passport, as an alternative to an NZ passport, if you prefer.